IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

Disagree with the review hate, by the way. It might be a little undergraduate to parody G,E,B but of course that book was itself parodying Galileo. And to me the core of the review is something I quite strongly agree with -

My point is, I am still moved by this music. Not just the form, not just the hidden beats and seemingly chaotic shifts in meter. I believe artists are those who instinctively recognize the ways of things, and translate them in ways ultimately true to their spirit. Ours is a "seemingly chaotic" world, but underneath the maze of people and opinions, there is order, truth, and beauty. And maybe, just maybe, Autechre have the rare gift of showing us just where we stand, turbulence and all.

To me that's not a sentence written as a smartass parody, it's a personal statement which is wrapped in the ironic parody because it's maybe uncool to admit that Autechre are something special. BUT, he gets points from me for saying it anyway.

Guest pixelives
Pixelives, I see you are reading the topic, can you tell us more?

Hey yeah. Sorry. crazy real world deadline rearing its ugly head. What sucks is that I haven't had a chance to give another deep listen bc this editing I'm doing has sound integral. Going to do a bright and early listen tomorrow. Mornings can be best for unfettered work and/or listens before the day makes a mess of you..

done-true-feels

im actually kind of amazed this hasn't leaked yet. seems its really circulating out there in the press

Same, more surprised of the lack of tracks played on the radio too, especially since Failme did so early on in this hysteria

why would you cloak your admiration for Ae with convoluted bullshit like that instead of just openly saying you like them and think they're amazing? because it's uncool? ah, so there we have arrived the heart of Pfork's thinking

I think you're quite right, but I think of the reviewer as having managed to convey the admiration in a way that bypassed the Pfork ironic douche review requirements.

From http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelectedControllerServlet?boardid=41&threadid=94682

those of you Acroyear2 fans are gonna shit for this record. it's super-complex, beat driven, but not at all in a boring way. i'mloving it so far on first listen.

On first listen I'd say it's a bit of a cross between LP5 and Untilted. It's very rhythmic, lots of hiphop influenced beats, startling sound design (ghost noises looming out from aural blind spots in a 'did I really just hear that?' way) - sort of reminds me of tracks like Acroyear2 and UnderBOAC off LP5 (which i'm very happy about) and yeah, it's got Oversteps' stateliness in there too, but then it's very long and I haven't quite digested the whole thing.
Edited by blos

Guest pixelives

From http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelectedControllerServlet?boardid=41&threadid=94682

those of you Acroyear2 fans are gonna shit for this record. it's super-complex, beat driven, but not at all in a boring way. i'mloving it so far on first listen.

On first listen I'd say it's a bit of a cross between LP5 and Untilted. It's very rhythmic, lots of hiphop influenced beats, startling sound design (ghost noises looming out from aural blind spots in a 'did I really just hear that?' way) - sort of reminds me of tracks like Acroyear2 and UnderBOAC off LP5 (which i'm very happy about) and yeah, it's got Oversteps' stateliness in there too, but then it's very long and I haven't quite digested the whole thing.

That is pretty spot on...

The LP 5 things in this LP are becoming apparent to me, as well. Lots of very short flange/delay efx on both melodies and beats for one..

aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhh

bllllllllaaaaaaaaaaadelllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooresssssssssssss

Holy crap, bladelores

Edited by blos

The Untilted review is very silly for obvious reasons. It pisses me off a little bit to see one of my favorite albums described this way, and I feel like the album was totally disregarded. He's obviously making some fun out of the fans. Whatever.

But another part of me thinks some of it is pretty appropriate. Reviewing the album in dialogue format reflects the obviously wide range in opinions on Autechre. I think Ae is definitely something special, but most of us surely have friends that just cannot hear anything but colorless noise. But the Achilles/tortoise thing is over-reaching.

Tortoise: My point is, I am still moved by this music. Not just the form, not just the hidden beats and seemingly chaotic shifts in meter. I believe artists are those who instinctively recognize the ways of things, and translate them in ways ultimately true to their spirit. Ours is a "seemingly chaotic" world, but underneath the maze of people and opinions, there is order, truth, and beauty. And maybe, just maybe, Autechre have the rare gift of showing us just where we stand, turbulence and all.

Achilles: And my point is, if it's driven by form, it's a pretty messy, lazy form-- certainly no more structurally sound than any other software wank music. On top of that, if I'm supposed to "feel" this, to pick up on some obscure metaphysical in-joke, I'm not-- isn't it the job of a good artist to make that shit clear? Either way, it fails for me. Autechre decided to go their own way, fine, you know, just don't expect me to call them "geniuses."

I also think this last part is good for a review. The static, but not stagnant, feeling of blissful content I get from the middle of Augmatic Disport and the final third of Sublimit is a pretty unique thing that I don't get to experience much outside of music. Still very different from walking around my campus on a clear morning after finishing a big term project, for example.

However, I can totally understand the other view. I first started listening to Autechre soon after Untilted came out and I didn't respond to the music at all for a long time. It wasn't until one night as I put it on before going to bed and it suddenly *clicked* and I stayed up late repeating the album.

More great news! Thank you. The covers of Ae releases are usually remarkably congruent to the music. By the color I wondered if it was going to be similar at all to LP5. I'm down for ghostliness; that's what made Confield and Draft so off-putting at first, and later the same reason I became so attracted to keep listening until I liked them.
Pretty cool message board too. I can't believe I've never visited it before.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Awepittance" data-cid="1937251" data-time="1359001958"><p>

<br />

from the Failme website<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'><p>But coming up next.a half-decent review of the quite brilliant new album by Autechre. Possibly the most satisfying thing they've done since 'Quaristice Versions'.</p></blockquote></p></blockquote>

oh yes!!

offtopic:

(why are quotes messed up in the mobile skin)

That is pretty spot on...

The LP 5 things in this LP are becoming apparent to me, as well. Lots of very short flange/delay efx on both melodies and beats for one..

That sounds like perfection, pretty much. Finally getting a wee bit exaited. Bring it111

also:

It's better than the last two: dark, chaotic, jumbled. Every song is kind of its own universe

I know that wont make anybody happy as a description, but there it is. I've been a fan for ages and its my fave since Confield.