IGNORED

XI year old Autechre Album Released: Exai (WARP234)

Guest pixelives

Guest pixelives

Wondering if i/o hardware would have any affect on 16 v 24 playback... Never really heard of issues, but, you never know..

Seriously guys, has anyone who heard this first go around on the 24bit wavs, listened again on the 320kbps MP3s?

It doesnt sound as muddy. I think iTunes doesnt handle 24bit wavs too well... Everything seemed to blow past any internal EQ in the program. It sounds WAY better on MP3 the second go around.

Pixelives, I'd be curious if you could run this experiment on your own... 320 mp3 vs 24bit wav vs your promo

Still running my 320's I'm going to wait for the dust to settle to DL my real wavs. I wouldn't be surprised about the itunes handling. I was actually just going to DL the 16bits anyway just to save some space...

Gotcha. My recommendation for anyone with iTunes is 16bit wav or 320 kbps MP3, nothing more or nothing less.

I also take back my original statement about this feeling like Draft abstraction on Quaristice hardware

For whatever reason, 24bit wavs in iTunes on a Mac makes this sound unmastered and without a balanced EQ.

>

(I feel like the 24bit wavs were unmastered)

you don't think it could be that you're using one of the shittiest programs to listen to your music on?

I mean, I'm not completely ruling out that there could be a fuck up with the files, but at least try listening to them with something a bit better than iTunes?

I'm open to suggestions on the Mac.

VLC

So for instance, someone said earlier that "everything falls in its right place." Initially, I didnt understand this b/c there seemed like there was too much going on and frequencies were combating one another.

I switch to 320kbps MP3 and this is the best thing they've ever done.

Everything falls into its right place.

So for instance, someone said earlier that "everything falls in its right place." Initially, I didnt understand this b/c there seemed like there was too much going on and frequencies were combating one another.

so there is definitely something wrong with the 24bits, is that what you're saying?

Seriously guys, has anyone who heard this first go around on the 24bit wavs, listened again on the 320kbps MP3s?

It doesnt sound as muddy. I think iTunes doesnt handle 24bit wavs too well... Everything seemed to blow past any internal EQ in the program. It sounds WAY better on MP3 the second go around.

Pixelives, I'd be curious if you could run this experiment on your own... 320 mp3 vs 24bit wav vs your promo

Still running my 320's I'm going to wait for the dust to settle to DL my real wavs. I wouldn't be surprised about the itunes handling. I was actually just going to DL the 16bits anyway just to save some space...

Gotcha. My recommendation for anyone with iTunes is 16bit wav or 320 kbps MP3, nothing more or nothing less.

I also take back my original statement about this feeling like Draft abstraction on Quaristice hardware

For whatever reason, 24bit wavs in iTunes on a Mac makes this sound unmastered and without a balanced EQ.

>>

(I feel like the 24bit wavs were unmastered)

you don't think it could be that you're using one of the shittiest programs to listen to your music on?

I mean, I'm not completely ruling out that there could be a fuck up with the files, but at least try listening to them with something a bit better than iTunes?

I'm open to suggestions on the Mac.

VLC

or Enqueue

http://www.enqueueapp.com/

so there is definitely something wrong with the 24bits, is that what you're saying?

HAHAHA, on my system I feel like there is.

HAHAHA, on my system I feel like there is.

at least there's the white noise that shouldn't be there

btw deco Loc seems to be the only track with some kind of lyrics (0:55)

Edited by Franciscus

Wow....just been driving through the northern new york countryside in my grandparent's maxima with the volume at 20+. I'm talking threshhold of pain volume. And what do I have to say?

This album is dangerous.

Exai is deadly and mean.

Exai is frightening. I think it might have the potential to induce temporary psychosis in untrained minds.

Exai is weaponry.

Most of Exai has an energy like the most intense part of lentic catachresis mixed with augmatic disport, but honed down to a knive's edge and funkified to extreme levels of head-bumpery...fuck.

Exai recontextualizes every piece of autechre before it.

Remember rook's review of confield? That beast that killed rook at the end of confield is back.

Some people have said confield was 'painful'. This album contains many many times more pain.

But the pain is tempered with the quality that words cannot properly describe...that rythmic timbral excellence that makes it hurt so good.

There are trax where you get lead in all sorts of directions, giving you nice things, mean things, testing and tempting you, and then it briefly awards you with a moment where perfection is achieved.

I highly reccomend that anyone who is listening to this on headphones should give it a go, really fucking loud, on full-range speakers. You need that bass to rumble your innards for full effect.

also: I understand why pixelives likes the album more now that we're listening.

He was basically trapped in a room by himself with a vicious beast of an album, just him and EXAI. That's fucking terrifying.

also: I understand why pixelives likes the album more now that we're listening.

He was basically trapped in a room by himself with a vicious beast of an album, just him and EXAI. That's fucking terrifying.

i like your short review. i always remember these kind of reviews and i tend to listen to the music differently after reading it. thanks... i guess