IGNORED

Vaporwave

Nebraska

Just rollerbladed in to let you goys know that they've made a vape'n'wave animated sitcom, congrats & great jerb!

http://www.cc.com/full-episodes/gtirq3/moonbeam-city-mall-hath-no-fury-season-1-ep-101

goddamn that's sick! those characters all look like patrick nagel paintings, and the colors and stlyes and city lights look like outrun, synthwave/retrowave album covers.

My friend's vaporwave album is legitimately better than any vaporwave I've heard. Go here if you want your proof. I wish vaporwave actually were all as good as this shit.

pretty damn good - vaporwavers would dig this, sounds like a good "mallsoft" release

My friend's vaporwave album is legitimately better than any vaporwave I've heard. Go here if you want your proof. I wish vaporwave actually were all as good as this shit.

pretty damn good - vaporwavers would dig this, sounds like a good "mallsoft" release

I'm thinking about putting it on vinyl as the first physical release from my new marienhaus quasi-label. I need to save up a bit more money first, though. I'm not sure what mallsoft is, but I think it's some great ambient music, vaporwave or not. Unfortunately my friend who made it doesn't like it as much as I do.

Edited by drillkicker

I'm thinking about putting it on vinyl as the first physical release from my new marienhaus quasi-label. I need to save up a bit more money first, though. I'm not sure what mallsoft is, but I think it's some great ambient music, vaporwave or not. Unfortunately my friend who made it doesn't like it as much as I do.

mallsoft if one of the many subgenres of vaporwave

not sure how you feel about cassettes but they go hand and hand with a lot of vaporwave (and a lot of underground electronic music in general)

Cassettes are a pain in the ass to record. I'm more of a vinyl guy, anyway, and I think it would be really cool to hear that album on a vinyl record. I don't care what's "hip" in the "scene" these days, it's easier to just pay someone to make records for me rather than buying a ton of blank cassettes, recording them all, and then printing out the J-cards and the labels.

Guest Enter a new display name

Cassettes are a pain in the ass to record. I'm more of a vinyl guy, anyway, and I think it would be really cool to hear that album on a vinyl record. I don't care what's "hip" in the "scene" these days, it's easier to just pay someone to make records for me rather than buying a ton of blank cassettes, recording them all, and then printing out the J-cards and the labels.

Vaporwave is about more than that. It's about consumerism. It's about aesthetics.

Vaporwave is about more than that. It's about consumerism. It's about aesthetics.

I care about vaporwave and neither does the person who made the album. I just care about the music. Consumerism has nothing to do with art and "aesthetics" is just a word used for art that relies on its image instead of its inherent quality. I'm not trying to argue with you or attack your tastes, it's just that none of that appeals to my taste.

Edited by drillkicker

I care about vaporwave and neither does the person who made the album. I just care about the music. Consumerism has nothing to do with art and "aesthetics" is just a word used for art that relies on its image instead of its inherent quality. I'm not trying to argue with you or attack your tastes, it's just that none of that appeals to my taste.

i agree.. vaporwave needs to be less about the aesthetics and consumerism, and more about the music :sini:

jkjk

the misinterpretation and resulting unintentional meta-ness of this interaction is beyond priceless lolol

Edited by Lane Visitor

Nostalgia is something that is best avoided. It's tempting, but it normally doesn't result in anything very productive. I think that if you're going to listen to vaporwave for nostalgia, you're better off just listening to actual ambient synth music from the '80s and '90s. Nostalgic music tends not to produce anything new for obvious reasons.

Nostalgia is something that is best avoided. It's tempting, but it normally doesn't result in anything very productive. I think that if you're going to listen to vaporwave for nostalgia, you're better off just listening to actual ambient synth music from the '80s and '90s. Nostalgic music tends not to produce anything new for obvious reasons.

vaporwave is full of faux nostalgia, half the listeners were born after the era it evokes and/or pulls influence from...i suppose the appeal for some is the novelty of it, which I get, but I don't approach it like that at all

i've always listened to it as another hauntology genre, so it's not quite nostalgic for me in the straightforward sense, but in a future past way (music that could of been but never was made with tech from a certain past era) after all it uses the word "vaporware" as a basis...so like the aesthetics and sounds are not like pure retro fetishism or re-hashing (like say 80s synth stuff or 60s psych rock) but instead an exploration of more forgotten and discarded new age, muzak, commercial jingles, etc., specifically late 80s / early 90s stuff. If done right it's cathartic emotionally even to me - a rediscovery of music I loved as a kid but either purposely ignored later on or simply forgot about.

Edited by joshuatx

vaporwave is full of faux nostalgia, half the listeners were born after the era it evokes and/or pulls influence from...i suppose the appeal for some is the novelty of it, which I get, but I don't approach it like that at all

i've always listened to it as another hauntology genre, so it's not quite nostalgic for me in the straightforward sense, but in a future past way (music that could of been but never was made with tech from a certain past era) after all it uses the word "vaporware" as a basis...so like the aesthetics and sounds are not like pure retro fetishism or re-hashing (like say 80s synth stuff or 60s psych rock) but instead an exploration of more forgotten and discarded new age, muzak, commercial jingles, etc., specifically late 80s / early 90s stuff. If done right it's cathartic emotionally even to me - a rediscovery of music I loved as a kid but either purposely ignored later on or simply forgot about.

This!!

Plus, for me, the nostalgic elements that exist in some of the vaporwave out there are 1000% outshined by vaporwave's other more important elements such as surreality, post-modernism, dada-ism, cyberpunk, dystopian futurism, the celebration of the contemporary mundane, etc. it just happens that 80s/90s atmospheres and sounds fit nicely with those elements in terms of creating that world and telling a story that may or may not have ever existed in the first place.

Edited by Lane Visitor

Most of the vaporwave I've heard is an exact copy of the same type of sound that new age synth musicians were doing in the '80s. It doesn't feel very new to me. Some '80s music (like Software's Digital Dance or Yasuaki Shimizu's Music For Commercials, for example) feels more vaporwave than actual vaporwave does.

Most of the vaporwave I've heard is an exact copy of the same type of sound that new age synth musicians were doing in the '80s. It doesn't feel very new to me. Some '80s music (like Software's Digital Dance or Yasuaki Shimizu's Music For Commercials, for example) feels more vaporwave than actual vaporwave does.

Yeah the stuff I like is halfway between that sound and the slowed down pop eccojams approach, t e l e p a t h テレパシー能力者 is a good example. It's moody too.

Yeah the stuff I like is halfway between that sound and the slowed down pop eccojams approach, t e l e p a t h テレパシー能力者 is a good example. It's moody too.

That's one of the things that I really don't like about vaporwave. All the artists are trying to go for the exact same aesthetic. They all have a random English word in all lowercase or all capital letters with spaces after each one, followed by some Japanese word(s). It's like they all want to be as unoriginal and generic as possible. I wish they would just try to be themselves, because that's what art is supposed to be about. Nobody wants to listen to a musician who's just trying to be someone else. (On second thought, I just remembered that they actually do want to listen to someone who doesn't have a personality, and it makes me kind of sad tbh. Artists who just follow whatever trend is hip and try to brand their music to that trend as much as possible tend to get significantly more recognition and praise than artists who are doing their own thing entirely.)

Edited by drillkicker

That's one of the things that I really don't like about vaporwave. All the artists are trying to go for the exact same aesthetic. They all have a random English word in all lowercase or all capital letters with spaces after each one, followed by some Japanese word(s). It's like they all want to be as unoriginal and generic as possible. I wish they would just try to be themselves, because that's what art is supposed to be about. Nobody wants to listen to a musician who's just trying to be someone else. (On second thought, I just remembered that they actually do want to listen to someone who doesn't have a personality, and it makes me kind of sad tbh. Artists who just follow whatever trend is hip and try to brand their music to that trend as much as possible tend to get significantly more recognition and praise than artists who are doing their own thing entirely.)
But its really not about "popularity" or "originality" or "hipness" at all... Vaporwave is not really a genre- it's more of a curation of new ideas and concepts, usually narrated through recycled parts from unexpected or strange sources. It's more of a found/ collage art movement. Most of the "artists" in the movement straight up pitch down and loop sequences of muzak and smooth jazz in order to create a specific mood or effect, so of course it's not original- the goal in much vaporwave is to use generic sources and turn into something weird- of often times so absurdly generic that it becomes original its own way. It's not really about trying to be original- its about capturing a specific feeling... Nobodys taking their vaporwave ep on the road or trying to chart on radio lol.. This is a weird anonymous Internet genre where we can openly collaborate and come up with bizzaro cyberpunk concepts using 80s / 90s / discount bin / cheesy

corporate training video vibes- hence the japanese characters, weird glitch art, roman busts and surreal neon city scapes. It's weird, fun, dreamy, romantic, idealist, and fucked up. And that's why we dig it (:

Imagine youre feeling sick and in bed all day and stumble onto weather channel cuz its slow canned artificial generic thoughtless vibes comfort you and numb your mind ... Thats what vaporwave is and why we like it.. We're all just trying to make albums that sound and look like the Weather Channel.

Edited by Lane Visitor

Vaporwave is kind of the opposite of trying to be unique. In a world where art & culture is so incredibly splintered into a gazillion niches, subgenres, communities, movements , flavors, styles etc, and therefore anyone who wants to stand out from the crowd is told they must do something COMPLETELY, unequivocally, painstakingly, absurdly "unique" and absolutely life-alteringly ONE OF A KIND in order to get attention, acceptance, love, credit, money, reward rather than simply making great content and working hard to put it out, society has accumulated this syndrome where gimmick not only comes before art, where drama not only comes before message, but where they completely envelope any redeeming quality that that content /art had or could have had... And many times (see the Kardashians empire), gimmick and drama IS the content itself... Why? Because the channels of modern-day information /entertainment / culture are a breeding ground for our ADD/small-talk/sexuality/ego-obsessed/dumbed down culture.

Vaporwave is a fun little movement that poses the hypothetical question... "What if the opposite route that we're told we need to take in order to stand out was taken?... What if I just took a Diana Ross loop, slowed it down, glitched it out, threw some Japanese characters and Roman busts on the cover, and called something pretentious, and created a whole little world of other weird highly conceptual "works" - all using shit i found from the web, and presented as an "artist" but stayed anonymous? In a way, it seems like the ultimate gimmick, because its so simple, thoughtless, random... But also effective and vibey. But Vaporwave isn't a gimmick- it's a cultural statement about doing the extreme opposite of putting unique-ness and identity and ego behind one's "work". And because of this, it's complete freedom in a cultural, artistic, idealistic sense- something that's often hard to achieve in a world where the concept of authorship is so absurdly inflated that it often trumps the content itself.

Edited by Lane Visitor