IGNORED

Vaporwave

Nebraska

The future of vaporwave is "metrosong" (reddit.com/r/Metrosong/)

... The stuff/spirit/tropes of modern day ad campaigns/lifestyle branding minus the brand, and floating a in vacuum.

I just contributed to the first metrosong comp called Sustainable Future Village, released on Cardboard Future- a new label.. under the alias "Julie Winters". A sort of modern day Donovan Hikaru. She's in her mid 30's, works for Google as a creative strategist, is a proclaimed tech junkie, and is a composer for ad campaigns on the side.

https://cardboardfuture.bandcamp.com/album/sustainable-future-village

a2242091678_16.jpg

The official music video for my contribution to this comp under Julie Winters (and proud to say what might be the first metrosong music video, or shall we call it "creative asset" :P )

(All original music):

Edited by Lane Visitor

... The stuff/spirit/tropes of modern day ad campaigns/lifestyle branding minus the brand, and floating a in vacuum.

I just contributed to the first metrosong comp called Sustainable Future Village, released on Cardboard Future- a new label.. under the alias "Julie Winters". A sort of modern day Donovan Hikaru. She's in her mid 30's, works for Google as a creative strategist, is a proclaimed tech junkie, and is a composer for ad campaigns on the side.

The official music video for my contribution to this comp under Julie Winters (and proud to say what might be the first metrosong music video, or shall we call it "creative asset" :P )

(All original music):

A genre of music that exists inside a 20 person subreddit isn't much of anything right now. Seems to missing that nostalgic element and culture clash that is in vapor-wave. I get that things are cyclical, but is a bit soon to be mashing together samples from MetroPCs commercials in 2015?

Edited by digman

(All original music):

A genre of music that exists inside a 20 person subreddit isn't much of anything right now. Seems to missing that nostalgic element and culture clash that is in vapor-wave. I get that things are cyclical, but is a bit soon to be mashing together samples from MetroPCs commercials in 2015?

But thats the point though .. Its too soon says the rules of cyclical nostalgia, but what if we broke that rule and accelerated the process into a hyper realm of re-contextualizing the essence of today's corporate kitsch, unapologetically referring to, critiquing and curating the artifacts of the trends of... 25- 30 days ago rather than 25-30 years ago? What would happen? I dunno im not totally bonkers over it or anything and i still prefer to listen to slowed down smooth jazz in a mood/sonic sense, but fuck, cool forward thinking experiment if nothing else right? (: Edited by Lane Visitor

but is a bit soon to be mashing together samples from MetroPCs commercials in 2015?

yes it is, not to mention it just being not that fantastic of an idea (no offense to who did it) I don't mind any of the concepts to any of vaporwave actually, but it does bug me to see so many people trying so hard to copy a very specific aesthetic rather than trying to sort of represent their own memories or own nostalgia and creating something unique from that. I just keep hearing the same style shit over and over again

if people were treating the 'genre' the same way AE described electro/hiphop in recent interviews I'd be really excited about it. Basically people need to take an AE approach to vaporwave is really what im saying, and not a Girl Talk approach

Edited by John Ehrlichman

but is a bit soon to be mashing together samples from MetroPCs commercials in 2015?

yes it is, not to mention it just being not that fantastic of an idea (no offense to who did it) I don't mind any of the concepts to any of vaporwave actually, but it does bug me to see so many people trying so hard to copy a very specific aesthetic rather than trying to sort of represent their own memories or own nostalgia and creating something unique from that. I just keep hearing the same style shit over and over again

there was a release that actually sampled a lot of late 90s / early 00s stuff that was a bit rough but pretty fresh and cathartic

i could go for more of this stuff - even Dream Catalogue gets too same-y for me sometimes, but it's at least got a high standard

I think a lot of the criticism aimed at vaporwave seems to be aimed at a specific element of it, i.e. slowed down '80s middle of the road loops along the lines of Floral Shoppe. There's plenty of other stuff out there that's branched off from that - HKE and 2814 head towards Burial, there's the whole future funk thing which is gradually beginning to sound like early Daft Punk, lots of things with trap beats which don't really go for the '80s smooth jazz/muzak end of it at all. There's a Nmesh/t e l a p a t h split coming out on Dream Catalogue later today which takes its sources from new age stuff which has a proper exotic ambient vibe to it. One I've been enjoying lately is Adult Contemporary Novel by Pursuing Paradise, which is mostly sourced from late '90s/early '00s stuff - it plays like a weird screwed up mixtape. I've chatted to the guy on Soundcloud and most of the source music is stuff that has a certain emotional or nostalgic concept for him. The idea that vaporwave has a specific era / style of source material seems very strange to me. It's been around for a few years now and it's evolved in several directions.

Ha yeah I was going to edit my post to point out it was the same album but then my connection cut out and I went outside for a walk.

Yeah, the Viper thing was really shitty, Alex definitely did the right thing in cutting ties though. But the t e l e p a t h split is the real excitement for me, the tracks on Soundcloud are fantastic. I keep refreshing DC to see if it's for sale yet...

there was a release that actually sampled a lot of late 90s / early 00s stuff that was a bit rough but pretty fresh and cathartic

i could go for more of this stuff - even Dream Catalogue gets too same-y for me sometimes, but it's at least got a high standard

I remember Persuing Paradise... I have the first one lots of 90s and early 00s like you said. http://music.businesscasual.biz/album/memories

oh yeah, this is a separate post entirely, but if anyone is wondering where I personally draw the line on being lazy with sampling I think i've found a good example in this track

and now listen to this

ooft. at least slow it down or change the pitch so you're presenting it in a different key / in slow motion. also i think people should credit where they're getting the sounds from, especially when it is this blatant, it's basically a remix and a very lazy one at that. people like macross and saint pepsi clearly add so much more to their tracks, and I feel like the lazy sampling of other artists could detract from people who have made more of an art out of it than those who are just trying to hijack someone else's efforts. now i understand there is a matter of subjectivity here in what makes sampling "lazy" or not, and I get that the aforementioned macross and pepsi / spence have tracks that are undoubtedly reliant on other people's material, but when you compare the originals with their work you can defs hear a lot more of their own ideas being added in and for me it's enough to surpass my personal "minimum requirements" test. maybe this cvlture track isn't their best example and i'm being too harsh, or maybe it was made just for the video, I think if they had just credited the original i'd be totally fine with it because then people get to check out all the musicians involved in it, not just the person who cut up the track and added a few simple layers on top. and then people can make up their own minds on how effective they thought the "remix" was and the success of the vape artist is based partially on this merit.

Yeah I agree. Although that example was still ok-ish in my books, especially if it's not presented as original music but just a fun remix.

I do think that it's way more interesting to use samples and loops in a new way that they sort of turn it into a previously unheard piece of music.

I've come across some "vaporwave" tracks that are just other peoples music slower down and given some new name with some japanese letters. It feels really cheap - but is it actually meant to be cheap? Can't say.

Also I sometimes check out r/vaporwave on reddit and most of it just seems like 12-year-olds arguing about what is aesthetics and vaporwave.

Personally I don't think I'm making "vaporwave" that much but I'm really influenced by the sound and aesthetic, especially the "old forgotten vhs' from the 80's" -bit.

In some ways vaporwave could be like punk - everybody can do it. It's not hard or anything. But like in punk, this is probably misinterpreted as "all of it is good, no matter what".

It's more like "yeah anyone can do it and try it out but that doesn't mean that all of it is actually good".

I'm happy that vaporwave is expanding as a genre and more people are doing 100% original compositions. There's only so much old music to slow down until the gimmick gets old.

I remember Persuing Paradise... I have the first one lots of 90s and early 00s like you said. http://music.businesscasual.biz/album/memories

yeah that seems underrated at the time - I had no idea he put that out until I heard the more recent one, that's cool you'd heard of it

Nmesh / t e l e p a t h pre-order dropped: https://dreamcatalogue.bandcamp.com/album/--24

Along with new ones from CULTURE as 4D Entity and R23X which I'm off to check out now.

nmesh / telepath collaborating? that can't go wrong at all - damn DC always pullin' at my wallet

purlieu did you know that josh just mentioned the same album two posts up! what a coinkydink, i'll have to check it out. also i'm g'd for the nmesh and telepath collab going on. nmesh also had a collab with viper happening which I even kicked in some money for but sadly due to recent events with viper being a creep, nmesh decided to back out. it was shaping up to be a pretty crazy, idm as fuck release too (he posted the WIP for those that put in some money

yikes i had no idea about this

>releases 28 October 2015

soon guys!

?

The CRS 2.1 Scavenger Hunt: Secret Tape found

http://m.imgur.com/a/uk4OE

This is fucking amazing.

purlieu did you know that josh just mentioned the same album two posts up! what a coinkydink, i'll have to check it out. also i'm g'd for the nmesh and telepath collab going on. nmesh also had a collab with viper happening which I even kicked in some money for but sadly due to recent events with viper being a creep, nmesh decided to back out. it was shaping up to be a pretty crazy, idm as fuck release too (he posted the WIP for those that put in some money

yikes i had no idea about this

>releases 28 October 2015

soon guys!

?

The CRS 2.1 Scavenger Hunt: Secret Tape found

http://m.imgur.com/a/uk4OE

This is fucking amazing.

Thanks brother. For real, I appreciate that. (:

28th of oct is the release for the nmesh + telepath collabo!!

ohhh

i remembered the nmesh+viper thing - shame it was scrapped but i understand why, at least he posted part of it