IGNORED

Vaporwave

Nebraska

interesting, sounds quite cut up. did you do that manually or with max / something similar?

Well the first part was done in Audacity only, then I sampled the drums from the track and played the sequences with an MPC. The electric piano was added in Garage Band and voila !

Were dmt tapes the ones that would charge for albums and then never ship them? Underground vaporwave releases that barely anyone buys seems like one of the least profitable ways to scam people.

Another label did that, I forget who. Pretty lame, that's like 10+ bucks they'll not get back.

Ironically dmt tapes never actually put tapes out.

that's right, they folded and it turned out they weren't paying people for their music at all, and the owner was taking all the $$. #vaporgate

Oops I gave him a dollar, now I feel bad. Well, not that bad.

Ok, I'm over it. Haha

Nah don't. If you feel bad find the artist whose album you bought and send them $. He claims to use the money to pay for download credits only on bandcamp. BUT he also prevented artists from removing albums or changing them to stream only so they could redirect to their own pages. He basically copped out. I was never a fan of the label's overall operation, look, and apparent lack of professionalism which sucks because a lot of good artists released stuff on it.

lane - that surfing album is amazing! lot of good songs on there, they're sort like a tame impala-ish band making dirty rock music in the 80s or something. i would love if someone could remaster your touch with slightly less distortion on the snare as it is a little much on my ears. i love distortion but it just sounds like clipping heh.

EDIT: guess you're in luck lane, they just announced they were working on new stuff on their fb page.

Nice Mesh! I'm gonna have to check that new Surfing out, thanks for the tip! I was just on a roadtrip with my gf this weekend and we played that album for the first time in the car, and i just started freestyling over it for fun lol .. vaporwave like this would be great to do mashups with oldschool rap verses. i could totally hear someone like notorious b.i.g. flowing over deep fantasy.

Edited by Lane Visitor

March 1990 starts off pretty groovy. I'll bet that these are going to be on the next Vektroid album. I think this is going to put vaporwave artists out of business.

Edited by drillkicker

March 1990 starts off pretty groovy. I'll bet that these are going to be on the next Vektroid album. I think this is going to put vaporwave artists out of business.

i think vekroid is done w/ vaporwave

but you're right, this is going to be mined to death by producers

Which supermarket chain is the most vapourwave in your opinions?

kroger and meijer for sure.

lol jesus christ

my grandfather worked for winn dixie his whole career through retirement in the early 90s, and sadly they left texas a few years after he passed away in 96' so it's kind of nostalgic for me b/c for years i'd come across all this winn dixie merchandise even though they aren't around anymore where i've lived

they didn't make vapor-y ads though, except for like 2 seconds of this one

i already made a song out of one of the songs in the kmart tapes

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p3kt7fljw60v9uc/SabreDunce-97bpm.mp3?dl=0

there's a lot of good stuff in the tapes, most of the full songs could easily be found elsewhere on youtube / itunes but the tape quality adds a little something. there also is some more generic instrumental stock music which is much harder to track down, even with apps like shazaam. and then occasionally you get the odd announcement or ad with no bg music, just the voice. they might get in trouble with the DCMA and all that, though. i feel like even using kmart in the title is enough to attract takedowns! fair use needs to be updated...how would something like this have any real negative impact on kmart or the artists whose songs appear? it's not like I was going to buy a bananarama album, and then decided not to because I cropped the one song of theirs out of this mp3 and popped it on my ipod in a transcoded form. rant rant rant :catrage:

I really don't see the point of vaporwave when we already have this. This is the real deal. March 1990 has some real gems in it. Better than anything you'll find on Beer On the Rug.

i seriously don't know how you could claim to be into vaporwave yet not understand that these tapes would make a great resource for it.

When did I claim to be into vaporwave?
then gtfo the thread if all you want to do is show how above us you are. do you go into a church and dance around going 'oh hey that jesus guy? what a piece of shit lolol.'

I'm a Christian and I don't want to show how above you I am.

if you want to understand proto vaporwave (that sterile-not sterile soft rock/adult contemporary), the main place to look is fleetwood mac. imitated by every session musician from 1977 to the early 90s, who are the unfulfilled types who make muzak, and they put all of that spirit and energy into their tracks.

i once was setting up some stuff in this hotel ballroom type of room, and i found a Muzak rack mount module with one knob functionality.

lots of people mine the smooth jazz stuff for vapor, but that 70s 80s countryish soft rock is another source, maybe the other side of the coin. so much of it was made.

lots of people mine the smooth jazz stuff for vapor, but that 70s 80s countryish soft rock is another source, maybe the other side of the coin. so much of it was made.

absolutely. well said. artists like steve winwood, jackson browne, eagles etc as well.

Edited by Lane Visitor