IGNORED

is it still bad form to wonder aloud what the deal with boc is?

Alzado

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are helping make shitty horror movies good with their music most recently.

As far as new material though, I'm pretty sure you'll see the end of the world before anything surfaces.

Honestly while I would probably listen to it soon after it emerged, a new BoC album wouldn't be high on my anticipation radar. They've released three perfectly good albums that probably helped inspire a lot of the cool stuff going on in indie electronic these days (deconstructing old media, new agey psychedelia, tapey distortion, downtempo grooves, etc.), & anything further would probably feel a bit more of the same because they've never struck me as a duo who'd radically change their sound (nothing wrong with that, they've got a good thing going).

Guest Lucy Faringold

I can only hope that nothing has gone wrong in their personal lives to delay the album so much - but I suspect there must be something they've been dealing with that has caused such a huge hold up.

For whatever reason I kind of have this idea that if we don't have any official word by the mid-point of 2013 then I'm just going to mentally write-off the idea of ever hearing any more stuff from them.

As of right now though I still (naively?) hold to the idea that we'll see something from them in 2013.

But honestly I don't think about it too much.

Honestly while I would probably listen to it soon after it emerged, a new BoC album wouldn't be high on my anticipation radar. They've released three perfectly good albums that probably helped inspire a lot of the cool stuff going on in indie electronic these days (deconstructing old media, new agey psychedelia, tapey distortion, downtempo grooves, etc.), & anything further would probably feel a bit more of the same because they've never struck me as a duo who'd radically change their sound (nothing wrong with that, they've got a good thing going).

I can only hope that nothing has gone wrong in their personal lives to delay the album so much - but I suspect there must be something they've been dealing with that has caused such a huge hold up.

For whatever reason I kind of have this idea that if we don't have any official word by the mid-point of 2013 then I'm just going to mentally write-off the idea of ever hearing any more stuff from them.

As of right now though I still (naively?) hold to the idea that we'll see something from them in 2013.

But honestly I don't think about it too much.

Given up caring really. There's so much amazing music out there and the world has moved on, it seems weird to continue to hold out for a new album.

Yep. There are very artists on hiatus or in retirement of which I seek to hear more from but I can say I've slowly taken BoC off the list. I'd love to hear anything from them - even old releases or remixes, etc. but I'm perfectly content with the fact that it might never happen. As Lucy said, I really hope everything's ok in their personal life. In fact I'm even ok if they've "moved on" from Boards of Canada as a project, though it'd be nice to know that officially. That's really the only frustrating part - the lack of any indication one way or the other. Well that and the fact that'd we've exhausted all jokes and meta-humor about their current status.

I definitely still hope something will come out, and sooner than later would be preferred obviously. I'll ride this train for however long it takes. There is reason that they're in my top 3 bands of all time and I don't see that reason changing.

Nothing from them in almost seven years. It's not wrong to wonder, but I can't be arsed to sit around waiting for their next album, when the chances keep diminishing as time goes on.

Ae on the other hand...

They're perfectionists...theyre just making it super special...

I think they're really critical of how they sound and what they produce hense why we havn't seen material for a long time.

They probably make load sof stuff all the time and then realise it's not what they would like to release.

Are they still in contract with warp does anyone know?

Many people don't know this, but just like the atomic clock that tells perfect time, BoC have a meter that will trigger the release of their next album once it hits a certain mark (in typical cryptic fashion, the meter is visible only to themselves). However, I have it on very good authority that the meter goes up a notch every time a thread in the BoC forum is locked. So don't lose heart and keep on posting, guys!

It's funny how everyone bemoans the lack of BoC output and how it's been so long, but everyone seems to forget that the last Aphex Twin release, DrukQs, came out 11 years ago, and there hasn't been an Aphex Twin release since.

Sure, there's been Analord (2005), and The Tuss (2007), but that's still 7 and 5 years ago respectively (and under a different alias), on par with Boards last release, Trans Canada Highway (2007). At least Boards last LP was 2004, so it's been 8 years now.

They'll release it when they want to release it.

Archived