IGNORED

Million Dollar Extreme's Youtube account got pulled down

gmanyo

Guest bitroast

yeh. 

i'm sort of at a loss with mde atm/recently. 

on one hand, it's a bunch of nonsense that pokes fun at current social trends and norms being blown out of context and etc.etc.etc. it ends up being funny for me. and then you have the tv show which so far has had 2 eps with a pretty misogynistic flavour to both eps and it's like ... eh...??? (i guess, as span has pointed out). 

still enjoying it.. i guess, but it's definitely a show that is either terrible or has no issues with keeping me on the fence on whether i like it or not. i mean. i find it funny, but i can't say i always like it. 

keen to see next weeks !!! 

I suppose I am failing to see the humor in 3 totally unprepared non-actors struggle to come up with anything interesting while dressing up the whole shebang in costumes and editing to mask the lack of content. I pardoned the non-existent writing in their DIY stuff but this is just embarrassing. The fact is that these guys aren't that sophisticated, and yet they seem to still be posturing as if they are.

Like the shots of sam and charls seemingly looking around for approval or something even though it was funny before now just looks painfully childish and indicative of their total lack of skill and wit. The part I thought was most interesting was the cut to the unhappy looking producers. That was actually somewhat funny.

edit: I am on the fence about the breaking character bits. Because that is actually when they are funny. But the balance and formula is not right so far. Coming off as try-hard with lots of fluff, which works usually for MDE but not right now. Also, yeah I wish they would recognize that the majority of their humor is mostly physical and slapstick, not witty.

Edited by Salvatorin

yeah they are one of the few comedy shows that would benefit from being an hour. some of the stuff salv is saying is spot on, the self importance of them breaking character, but at the same time i've found that very effective in something like moms, where the lack of professionalism makes the entire thing feel like it contains levels of commentary on the whole idea of doing sketches. i think they actually are sophisticated, but they underuse the slapstick stuff. sam's best stuff is mostly physical. maybe some projects just aren't designed to "scale" to the next level. mde might be destined to be a youtube only thing.

I thought the Wall Show sketch that takes up most of the episode's running time was too thematically similar to the previous episode's main sketch ("womyn r cuntz" etc), which made it feel redundant. But it was still enjoyable. This ep made me actually laugh, unlike the previous one (still like it though, the prev one I mean)

so to you, the skit in the first episode where the girls hire mde as pretend emotional boyfriend prostitutes is 'womyn r cuntz'? why? because it had women in it? because they ordered male prostitutes?

I just think Sam (and nick) are best reacting to situations thrown at them, improvising on their feet. They really have skill there. When it's written and pre prepared, esp by them they seem a little nervous to break from that and just let it flow which gives it this awkward and unfunny vibe.

Haven't read thread I'm sure everyone has already said this

Guest bitroast

yeh enjoyed this one. will be fun watching thru em all once the things finished and see how it holds up as an onslaught of mde. 

lol good episode. haven't even seen the first one yet but this one's better than the last one, which I gather was better than the first one.

the tapwater sketch is great, I like it particularly because of the way it skewers all the wanker 'mixologists' I've met who effect Charles' attitude whilst concocting delicate, overpriced/overrated drinks for equally wanky customers. except in the sketch the 'customer' takes one sip, dry retches and then stares at the camera like "quite good". got a good lol out of me.

also the way Nick gets into his car.

Edited by usagi

That was SO good.  It captures something I can't explain.

Yeah, I don't think I've laughed once - And yet I can't wait for episode 4 already!

It's like the feeling I got when I saw Liquid Television in the 90s as a kid - Like I really love the aesthetic of every aspect of the show but simultaneously being disturbed by it all at the same time. It's proper 90s MTV and 90s late night Channel 4 but for the internet era. I have no idea why I like it, and I don't think I'd ever be able to recommend it to anyone I know, but it's bloody ace !