IGNORED

Bonobo - The North Borders

Guest myrrhman

Guest interr0bangr

Haven't liked a Bonobo album since Dial M but this track is pretty solid. Hope the whole album is as good.

This also sounds like Four Tet/Gold Panda had a musical baby rather than typical Bonobo in my option which is probably why I like it so much.

Guest interr0bangr

wtf is this 7x10" thing. Is that literally 7 10" records? Would be so annoying to listen to the entire album all the way through.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Any thoughts on this? I thought Black Sands was pretty awesome... is this more of the same or has it changed/evolved from there (hoping this is the case)?

I've listened to it a couple times now and I like it. It's a bit more subtle than Black Sands, but that's not bad. His signature sound is great, and I will definitely listen to this in the car - seems like a shoe in for a great driving album.

Guest myrrhman

I've listened to it a couple times now and I like it. It's a bit more subtle than Black Sands, but that's not bad. His signature sound is great, and I will definitely listen to this in the car - seems like a shoe in for a great driving album.

I concur.

Guest interr0bangr

Been listening to his album alot the last couple days...my thoughts:

Really enjoying it as a whole, but it has some really weird identity issues. My favorite tracks are the ones that were released/teased before the leak ("Cirrus" & "Saphire") and they both hinted at a more deep house/quirky dancefloor style album ala recent Four Tet/Caribou but most of the album is Dilla style downtempo hip-hop beats and sparse moody r&b cuts. There seems to be alot more electronic/glitch flourishes throughout the whole album and they really help keep things fresh and away from the bad lounge/new age mush Bonobo often walks the line on. Usually I'm of the mind that less is more when it comes to vocals in electronic albums but some of the tracks here are litterally saved by really solid vocal samples that redeem otherwise pedestrian loops and melodies.

Anyways, I was initially disapointed for it not being the type of album it first represented itself as/what I wanted it to be, but it's shaped up to be a really solid album that's inspired me to revisit and subsequently enjoy Black Sands even after writting it off awhile ago. Days To Come is still noodly, muzak garbage though.

I like it. Sure it's chill, but that doesn't mean it's boring or bad. Some tracks stand out and some are more subtle/empty in approach. As a whole this album gives me a warm/sleepy/safe feeling. Some parts do feel like lacking innovation and originality though. Not really all that memorable, but rather easy-listening in a good way imo.

a friend put this on last night and while i'm quite partial to a lot of it I felt like he was making overly obvious ties to burial throughout. His music has always held up surprisingly well without vocals so I don't understand this concerted effort to weave in wavering emotive female vocals as if the music's really tugging on the heartstrings. He's always had the chops to carry it without this so I don't really understand this 'path of artistic development' that he's trying to take. He just makes great downtempo usually, right?

for a long time bonobo occupied this weird spot in my mind where I hadn't actually listened to any of his music even though he'd inspired one of my favourite album covers:

Bonobo_-_Black_Sands.jpg

srs look at how lush that shit is

but uh, decided to give this album a listen the other day on the strength of the Cirrus music video. I think I like it! Don't know much about the whole modern chill scene but the production is very smooth & the basslines have a neat sort of lowkey funk going on

not sure what the hype around this guy is about

He's been making consistently good albums for well over a decade, so there's reason to be excited right off the bat for me.

His debut Animal Magic is classic. And his compilation 'One Offs Remixes and BSides' was an obsession for me back in the day - early Bonobo and Amon Tobin essentially got me into electronic music.

Black sands, while quite good, is my least favorite of his. Im liking this new stuff more than Black Sands though. First Fires sounds like the best Chet Faker song not yet released. And the non-collaboration tracks are more varied and distinctive here than on Black Sands methinks

• 2 weeks later...

for a long time bonobo occupied this weird spot in my mind where I hadn't actually listened to any of his music even though he'd inspired one of my favourite album covers:

Bonobo_-_Black_Sands.jpg

srs look at how lush that shit is

but uh, decided to give this album a listen the other day on the strength of the Cirrus music video. I think I like it! Don't know much about the whole modern chill scene but the production is very smooth & the basslines have a neat sort of lowkey funk going on

Bonobo-Black-Sands-Remixed.jpg

bonobo+featuring+andreya+triana-bonobo-f

Great track! I've never given Bonobo a listen before because I figured it would be in line with Ninja's other output of lounge/jazz-lite; while this doesn't break free of those label confines entirely, it sounds REALLY good, so fuck it I'll buy this!

Guest myrrhman

not sure what the hype around this guy is about

He's been making consistently good albums for well over a decade, so there's reason to be excited right off the bat for me.

His debut Animal Magic is classic. And his compilation 'One Offs Remixes and BSides' was an obsession for me back in the day - early Bonobo and Amon Tobin essentially got me into electronic music.

Black sands, while quite good, is my least favorite of his. Im liking this new stuff more than Black Sands though. First Fires sounds like the best Chet Faker song not yet released. And the non-collaboration tracks are more varied and distinctive here than on Black Sands methinks

I agree with you regarding Animal Magic, ditto that for Dial M For Monkey. Regarding this new album, I like the songs with vocals better than those without - and I think that they are better than those from Black Sands (which I am quite fond of - especially Stay The Same).

Ultimately, I would rather listen to The North Borders than most electronically produced / inspired music that is being released today.

Archived