IGNORED

Exai reviews

Franciscus

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

exai is possibly the easiest album to bop ones head to.

ever.

you can even play air drums to recks on.

air drums to autechre.

yea.

I just found out Exai appears on Metacritic's homepage. WATMMers who play games on Steam have likely seen that Metacritic score thing labeled on games before. Same website.

i find metacritic almost offensive when it comes to music reviews. They omit so many legit and large review sites is not even funny. Rottentomatoes does a much better job at aggregating the lesser known movie reviewers, why does metacritic do such a bad job with music review sites?

At a second glance, the critic reviews of Exai on Metacritic are pretty sub-par, as if they had minimal understanding of who Autechre actually are.

I was just surprised to see it featured on a major review website devoted to multiple forms of media. That fact alone is more impressive than the actual reviews though.

Well, needledrops review is up

Is aiight

cool review for this little time it has been out but lol how does one bop his head on exai?

I was thinking that same thing. For anyone who knows music theory, does autechre even follower a time signature?

I almost completely agree with Fantano's review here. For starters, it is coming from a place where obviously he wants to review the album for people who have no idea who Autechre is. In that regard, this review succeeds immensely. Next time I'm trying to get someone into Autechre I'll probably link them this vid and send them Exai because this review does a fantastic job of positioning a non Ae listener for what type of experience they should expect.

Really the only thing I take issue with is that he says he only bobbed his head to this album. I was thrashing the fuck out to almost the entire thing. Granted I'm a huge Ae fan though and I can see non-fans finding the rhythms a bit meh.

Oh and on the topic of time signatures, yeah like 90% of Autechre's music is in 4/4. I don't think there's any tracks on Exai that aren't, even nodezsh although it's hard as fuck to count lol. As a general rule of thumb if you're totally unaware about how time signatures work is if you can count to 4 or 8 and have at least one element of the music repeat itself at this point, it's probably in 4/4. Yes I know this is a sweeping generalization but I think it works in a lot of scenarios.

Well, needledrops review is up

Is aiight

cool review for this little time it has been out but lol how does one bop his head on exai?

I was thinking that same thing. For anyone who knows music theory, does autechre even follower a time signature?

I almost completely agree with Fantano's review here. For starters, it is coming from a place where obviously he wants to review the album for people who have no idea who Autechre is. In that regard, this review succeeds immensely. Next time I'm trying to get someone into Autechre I'll probably link them this vid and send them Exai because this review does a fantastic job of positioning a non Ae listener for what type of experience they should expect.

Really the only thing I take issue with is that he says he only bobbed his head to this album. I was thrashing the fuck out to almost the entire thing. Granted I'm a huge Ae fan though and I can see non-fans finding the rhythms a bit meh.

Oh and on the topic of time signatures, yeah like 90% of Autechre's music is in 4/4. I don't think there's any tracks on Exai that aren't, even nodezsh although it's hard as fuck to count lol. As a general rule of thumb if you're totally unaware about how time signatures work is if you can count to 4 or 8 and have at least one element of the music repeat itself at this point, it's probably in 4/4. Yes I know this is a sweeping generalization but I think it works in a lot of scenarios.

yeah mon~ i learned how 7/4 signatures worked by doing the exact same thing to VSnares' Einstein-Rosen Bridge and realizing the beat wasn't a disorganized mess but rather a fucking amazing jamout to the XTREME

I think Fandango hit the nail really..

anyway, i'm on listen number 20ish and my brains gone into "familiarity" mode with this album.......i realise there's melody where i thought there was none, build-ups that were once invisible...... LOVING IT!

exai review by ZOMBY (on twitter)

https://twitter.com/ZombyMusic

- EXAI

- autechre 'exai' fucking brilliant

- i would like to work with autechre ( :emotawesomepm9: )

- exai best thing since luxury problems actually

- exai starting to sound like boy in da corner chopped and screwed backwards thru a megaphone ..i really like it

- I like exai I just wish each track started 3 mins in...calm before the storm but i just want all storm

- i made my own version of exai to listen 2 i just chopped all the tracks in half and fade em in

-

exai review by ZOMBY (on twitter)

https://twitter.com/ZombyMusic

- EXAI

- autechre 'exai' fucking brilliant

- i would like to work with autechre ( :emotawesomepm9: )

- exai best thing since luxury problems actually

- exai starting to sound like boy in da corner chopped and screwed backwards thru a megaphone ..i really like it

- I like exai I just wish each track started 3 mins in...calm before the storm but i just want all storm

- i made my own version of exai to listen 2 i just chopped all the tracks in half and fade em in

-

Let's just hope he won't sample the shit out of it.

Archived