IGNORED

2 Crude Dudes!

Lane Visitor

Guest Aserinsky

Actually unless I'm horribly mistaken the YM2612 sound chip is 8-bit with an extra sign bit for ... erm whatever sign bits do !

Indeed it was, as is similar to most 16-bit computers and consoles. The Amiga's Paula chip for example was also 8-bit but had 6 bits per channel for volume control The oddest one though is the SNES, which used the 8 bit Sony SPC700 but had a 16 bit DSP to create a 16 bit waveform, so it is sort of 16 bit. Technically though Lane Visitor's statement that it was 8-bit music is correct, so... :emotawesomepm9:

the fact that kavinsky is now the go to name when people are talking about any type of retro/80's music makes me sad. dude didn't even produce most of his most popular tracks. mr.oizo did it for him and put a kavinsky sticker on it.

maybe have someone who actually knows what they're doing make a tribute ep.

[youtubehd]W92foPgoB30[/youtubehd]

for example.

mr.oizo

wow i didn't realize that dude was behind him. Makes sense though when i think about it. I dug the stuff he did with Uffie. Guy is talented for sure.

Not electronic music or anything, but guys ever heard of Minibosses? They used to be a local band from my hometown (az) who would cover a sh*t ton of songs from early video games.. example- from their excitebike collection haha:

the fact that kavinsky is now the go to name when people are talking about any type of retro/80's music makes me sad. dude didn't even produce most of his most popular tracks. mr.oizo did it for him and put a kavinsky sticker on it.

I find that annoying too - ever since "Nightcall" got really popular everyone's like DERP 80's RETRO - all it takes is a lot of baseless media outlets saying the same thing and enough people buy into it - makes me always feel like I'm part of a small club that knows better.

Actually unless I'm horribly mistaken the YM2612 sound chip is 8-bit with an extra sign bit for ... erm whatever sign bits do !

Actually, the Sega Genesis/Megadrive used a Zylog Z-80 chip for FM Synthesis... but yes, it's an 8-bit chip.

Indeed it was, as is similar to most 16-bit computers and consoles. The Amiga's Paula chip for example was also 8-bit but had 6 bits per channel for volume control The oddest one though is the SNES, which used the 8 bit Sony SPC700 but had a 16 bit DSP to create a 16 bit waveform, so it is sort of 16 bit. Technically though Lane Visitor's statement that it was 8-bit music is correct, so... :emotawesomepm9:

See above - interestingly, the Z-80 was the main CPU in their previous console, the Sega Mark III/Sega Master System...

Nah the Z80 is the co-pro of the megadrive, definitely the YM2612 for the Fm stuff.

Wow - I stand corrected! I read way back when I had one (1989) the Z80 was the sound processor...

Processor: Motorola 68000 16/32-bit processor @ 7.67 MHz (MC68HC000, CMOS version) Co-processor: Zilog Z80 8-bit @ 3.58 MHz Video display processor Yamaha YM7101, derivative of the VDP from the Sega Master System Memory: 64kB work RAM (68000), 64kB video RAM, 8kB work RAM (Z80)

Later hardware had an internal 1Kx16 ROM for the license display screen.

Display palette: 512 colors (3:3:3 RGB) Onscreen colors: 64 (normal) or 183 (shadow/highlight mode) Maximum onscreen sprites: 80 (320-pixel wide display) or 64 (256-pixel wide display) Resolution: 256×224, 256×448, 320×224, 320×448, (PAL and NTSC)

256×240, 256×480, 320×240, 320×480 (PAL only), 256×192 (SMS games only)

Sound: Yamaha YM2612 5 channel FM and 1 channel FM/PCM, Texas Instruments SN76489 4 channel PSG (Programmable Sound Generator)

Archived