IGNORED

Dubstep is dead

MadameChaos

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

was it ever alive?

Most people seem to have already forgotten (or want to forget). But it actually was very promising new genre, before being utterly destroyed by wankers.

Pinch, Digital Mystikz, Peverelist, Pangaea, Martyn, early Shackleton, early 2562 etc. etc.

It was so new and exciting when it first emerged. The perfect successor to a lot of "dead" UK underground genres.

F UUUUUUUUU SKRILLEX

was it ever alive?

Yeah it was for a while. I first caught DMZ in 2006 in London and it was awesome. Saw Bassclef and Loefah at Glade that year too which was immense, sounded very fresh at the time.

Kode9 said how it would go years ago. Same route as jungle, basically.

And breakbeat hardcore aka rave and trance before that. And maybe disco even earlier? It's amazing how popularity can destroy a genre.

its not dead you guys

hah ! cheers ivan, that was pretty funny. Well at some point it did cause me to become somewhat homicidal, but up to that point i was mildly engaged and surprised. ;-]

Guest Adam

FLOL Skream you fucking tool, had no idea he was that stupid

Skream is not calling it quits on DJing. He said he will be focusing more on Disco and Funk.

OH HURR DURR IM NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE SO ILL STOP MAKING 70BPM MUSIC WITH TOO MUCH BASS AND START MAKING FASTER MUSIC WITH BRASSES AND GUITARS AND SHIT

good, disco and funk are actually nice musics. ;-p

Also, he probably got the memo from the cash that daft punk raked in. But i rekon that was more a feat of marketing and pent up desire for a product from a certain band, than an indication of a new direction in popular music.

already there is old school dubstep nights

https://www.facebook.com/events/166979106804864/?fref=ts

An Austin club had "don't bro me" DJ sets on Wednesday a couple years ago aimed at playing future bass/post-dubstep/whatever...

Watching dubstep become popular via brostep and contemporary EDM made me have a "mid-life crisis" in 2011, and hell, I'd only been listening to dubstep since 2007 or so.

I just see this as Skream's formal announcement of moving on. The term's dead - all the pioneers of the genre have moved on, as they should. It was just a shame that the collective public is so fucking loud and stupid and redefined dubstep to the extent that the actual history behind the word was seemingly erased. It makes the deaths of trends like Big Beat and Electroclash seem a lot more dignified and quiet in comparison. There's a R.E.M. lyric I always think of: "history is made to seem unfair."

I knew it was futile to try to re-assert what dubstep "really" sounds like when I realized most people would refer to this as the "dubstep" remix of La Roux...

and not this...

F UUUUUUUUU SKRILLEX

skrillex isnt dubstep he is complextro get your facts right

FUCKING LOL - "COMPLEXTRO" - finally I word I hate more than "IDM"

Archived