IGNORED

Aphex twin - RDJ was his last real album

awepittance

Guest AlexPallas
ah, yes i did misunderstand you. Analord 10 is one of my favorite aphex 12" singles ever, if the entire Analord series was as developed and had as complex composition as 10 it would be the best aphex twin album of all time.

it seems that everyone is bent over on how much better analord 10 is, which is something i dont necessarily agree with. the tracks stand out from the rest, but i think it is more because they are built up than anything else, they have a little more meat to them, but i dont think that automatically qualifies the rest as holding the whole 'analord era' back at all.

well his Q music interview suggested he had just finished an album??,

but i'm not sure he cares too much about his fans/releasing anything (could all be bollocks). undecided.gif

lol. i think RDJs a little bent over with a 'i want to be as independant as squarepusher' attitude

...i think he is due a proper studio album (I do like the analord series mind you)

i think i would rather have another series, when you really think about it 2005 marked the largest year of output ever!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

don't think for a second Richard just releases stuff on a whim (Smojphace included) - he is passionate about all his releases, and each one has a purpose or plan in mind when he goes about creating them - Druqks was a 'theme' release like SAW2, and revolved around his experiments with his new Yamaha player piano. Analord was him getting back to analogue synths. I'm sure the next release of his will carry that tradition.

don't think for a second Richard just releases stuff on a whim (Smojphace included)

i was finding myself thinking that a while ago, but i no longer feel that way. He is obviously very dedicated to what he does, Analord included. I'm just very curious what/when his newest "album" will be under the Aphex name. I know i know, it doesn't matter what pseudonym he uses, its all the same music to him, but i've always leaned more towards and find myself loving the "Aphex Twin" material a more than afx, analord, smojphace or caustic window. I didn't intend in my original posting to denigrate his works.... is there any inkling of a new complete album in the works via interviews or the like? the prospect of a new aphex album is very exciting.

music isn't all about 'albums' or anything...

i suppose it isn't objectively about albums, but my preference as a music listener is to have albums to listen to , and i have always preferred this format over singles or 3 track eps. Maybe i'm a closed minded music listener, i'm sure many people here would argue that i am, but damn would it feel nice and cozy to put on a full aphex twin album again.

ok for the sake of continuing the discussion and take the focus off Drukqs, i will agre that Drukqs is a proper album. Now its been about 5 years since Drukqs (was also 5 years in between RDJ album and Drukqs)... do you think Aphex has plans to release another full proper album? For the people who do not care, is Analord filling the void of a new album for you?

I fucking LOVE Analord, but I have to say, no, not filling the void for me. I really want to hear some new Aphex Twin material. Like ICBYD, or RDJ, but evolved. I bet he's got fuck loads of amazing new Aphex stuff.

Analord's bloody good, and I listen to it loads, but it doesn't satisfy my weird Aphex Drum programming cravings, or my weird Aphex humming synths with samples of his mum cravings. You know what I mean?

Analord's bloody good, and I listen to it loads, but it doesn't satisfy my weird Aphex Drum programming cravings, or my weird Aphex humming synths with samples of his mum cravings. You know what I mean?

absolutely know what you mean. Even though im not as much of a fan of drukqs as some others on here, the drum programming and crazy synths and compostions blew me away. I miss the era of aphex twin where he was out to impress people. I like analord too, and its catchy as hell but it just doesnt knock me off my feet.

Guest Coalbucket PI

my 3 cents

1) I dont believe that story about drukqs

2) I think its one of the most cohesive albums I have heard

3) Analord showed he still makes and releases great music... although I like the album format a lot as well, as long he's still releasing music I'm not going to complain

absolutely know what you mean. Even though im not as much of a fan of drukqs as some others on here, the drum programming and crazy synths and compostions blew me away. I miss the era of aphex twin where he was out to impress people. I like analord too, and its catchy as hell but it just doesnt knock me off my feet.

Yeah, we want the REAL Aphex Twin back!!!!

Guest disco_epilepsy

for all we know he could have been working on this one perfect album for years and not saying anything of it. of course, i have been strangely optimistic lately.

add another vote for "drukqs is a cohesive album and a damn good one at that" for me

• 4 weeks later...

I keep having weird dreams where I get the album Druqks and it sounds like music from SAWII. I don't have Druqks yet,

do you think it would be worth getting? I love SAWII, but I heard half of the tracks on Druqks are just piano works.

Guest AlexPallas
I keep having weird dreams where I get the album Druqks and it sounds like music from SAWII. I don't have Druqks yet,

do you think it would be worth getting? I love SAWII, but I heard half of the tracks on Druqks are just piano works.

lol. someone else can respond to this

Guest Dr of Quantization

Actually I think Come to dady was the end of Aphex's passion for making a cohesive album... I do however think Windowlicker is still way beyond its time. Drukqs was like leftovers to me. I did think the story he told about the mp3 player was true, because the album sounded thrown together. Analord is great work, don't get me wrong, but it feels like an old release of his that he just got around to putting all together. I am sure it would be hard to top RDJ album or Windwolicker, but think of it this way, Squarepusher was flying high with hard normal and feed me weird things, then he slowed down for a bit. Once Go Plastic came along it blew my mind. That is where I thought Aphex was going after Windwolicker, going to put out some stuff with the sound quality of windowlicker and the beats of RDJ and come to daddy. I just think Aphex is stagnant in his "leader" roll in electronic music and others like pusher are steeling the spotlight and forging new uncharted pathes from the ones Aphex started so many years ago.

i think drukqs was meant as a cohesive album

i loved analord, but also want some 'proper aphex'

he does spout a lot of (sometimes hilarious) bullshit

and this thread puts the whole boc subforum to shame in its rationality and civility.

i don't feel like reading all this

but i would have perfered drukqs as two albums (piano and dsp)

analord is fine

RDJ did rock pretty hard tho

Guest AlexPallas
I wouldn't mind 11 12"s of aphex drill, lets just say that.

more aphex drill is WAY overdue

I think he needs to get back to some awesome ambient stuff - his ambient stuff is better than almost anything out there.

i agree.. most people I know who dislike aphex in general still worship his ambient pieces

Guest Dr of Quantization

I wouldn't mind 11 12"s of aphex drill, lets just say that.

more aphex drill is WAY overdue

i second that too! SAW II is still one of my favs. That or HAB type stuff with the technology/ sound quality of stuff today... would really blow someones pants off!!

I think he needs to get back to some awesome ambient stuff - his ambient stuff is better than almost anything out there.

i agree.. most people I know who dislike aphex in general still worship his ambient pieces

i'd argue that rafael toral's shorter pieces (violence of discovery...) are better than SAW II

just piano works. they are ambient, acoustic, prepared-piano pieces. they create good atmosphere and make drukq's a wholesome listening experience. the album is more than "odds'n'ends"

I like the HAB comment. Drukqs wasn't really at all like the RDJ album, with the drum rolls and all that. Drukqs seemed more digital and breaky. If some more of his signiature roll style like in laugable butane bob or 4 came back with the LP filters and warm synths but in a modern aphex way he would really have some really good stuff. Who knows what it will be like though. It could be really odd and new.

Guest DrHat

another album a la RDJ or ICBYD would be keen, but frankly, he didn't have to release anything. i'm happy he's shared what he has.

drukqs was perhaps a little too personal for people not mr. james to get. some of the tracks i loved, others i just never got into.

Archived