IGNORED

mp3 players...where have they gone

TRiP

I still have an 8GB Creative Zen player and it does the job just fine. Except it doesn't have folder-structure and relies only on mp3-taggs, that is pretty lame. It still works fine though.

Pro-Tip for buying mp3-players: Shitty, over-priced, custom-format & -software-requiring mp3-players as well as other electronics are indicated by this warning-symbol proudly_use_logo_apple.gif- I call it "my lil' shopping adviser", it hasn't yet failed me.

Ipod classic is actually very good, and about the only decent player with large storage space.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have an 8GB Creative Zen player and it does the job just fine. Except it doesn't have folder-structure and relies only on mp3-taggs, that is pretty lame. It still works fine though.

Pro-Tip for buying mp3-players: Shitty, over-priced, custom-format & -software-requiring mp3-players as well as other electronics are indicated by this warning-symbol proudly_use_logo_apple.gif- I call it "my lil' shopping adviser", it hasn't yet failed me.

Ipod classic is actually very good, and about the only decent player with large storage space.

Apologies, topic - I should have mentioned I have no desire to buy an Ipod, would just get another Zune

out of interest - must one use the itunes software to use the ipod? don't think i could live with myself if i had itunes on my laptop

With the older Ipod Classic I think it was possible to do it without, with the newer ones I don't know. Maybe there are foobar plugins for that. I don't really like iTunes myself, but it's more comfortable than using just folders in windows explorer.

i really like the sony walkman 4gig things, i lose them quite often, but the only cost 25 quid, and they have such amazing sound quality if you use them with a nice 60 quid pair of sennheiser buds. i probably buy 3 a year because im so shite at keeping them in my pocket safely.

I had a 30gb iPod classic for 7 years. SEVEN years. It didn't give me any problems until the headphone jack bent the inside of the port by accident.

7 years. Took less than half that time for the Zunes and Creative Zens to go extinct. Just sayin'.

I have a Sansa Clip +, it has 8gb of internal memory and I use a 32GB micro SD with it that once belonged to my smart phone. It's smaller than a match box and it's great for running/ exercising. Also it plays FLAC, MP3, WAV etc..

i too have a sansa player, works great. Hope it lasts forever.

I <3 my sansa clip +.

As it is my droid "smart" phone is piss poor on battery (and in so many other ways) that I don't even bother with music on it.

I had a 30gb iPod classic for 7 years. SEVEN years. It didn't give me any problems until the headphone jack bent the inside of the port by accident.

7 years. Took less than half that time for the Zunes and Creative Zens to go extinct. Just sayin'.

My 2003 40gb iPod still works when plugged into a dock, battery is dead of course.

It's funny - at no point do you really ever need your entire collection of music on demand, and I could easily just do a rotation system with a smaller capacity player...but darn'it...sometimes i just wanna hit shuffle and re-discover some whacky shit!

I've had a Cowon s9 for a few years now (thank you watmm!) and it's brilliant. I do wish it weighed just a little more, as it feels very fragile. But it plays basically any file I could ever cram in, and the UI-creating community is amazing.

I adored my 160GB iPod Classic until it ran out of space.

Apple still charges $250 for these iPods because they can, and they are jerks. There is no reason to still be charging that much otherwise.

No one ever really competed with ipods.. always had me wondering why.

whuh wahh ..

i still have my iriver .. had not used in like three years but turned on so that i could take some music off it (to put on my ph for the drive) .. had a nice mic in it .. let me just dump in folder trees set up in an order i was comfortable with (itunes moan obviously) ..

Guest HokusPoker

Fell in love with my Rio Carbon, an excellent MP3 player and a beauty too! Excellent sound quality, good battery life, wheel for scrolling through my collection and I was fine with its 5GB storage (and still would be today. Nobody needs FLAC on the road).

After many years it died, felt like a family member and I could never get myself to throw it away.

I had to replace it, and I couldn't believe how hard it was to find a decent MP3 player with HARDWARE BUTTONS (and some kind of a wheel so I wouldn't have to press a button 50 times to skip 50 interprets) where you don't have to fiddle around with a stupid touchscreen making it necessary to TAKE YOUR PLAYER OUT OF YOUR POCKET (year 2012 back then, progress of technology, congratulations!) for every stupid track change.

Finally I found a used Sansa Fuze. The sound quality is not as good as with my beloved Rio Carbon, but it's okay and the battery life is as almost as good as with my then 5 year old Carbon.

I'm happy with it and don't want to think of the day it's going to die.

Edited by HokusPoker

Guest disparaissant

i just stick with 4g and my google music collection. don't know what i'll do when i run out of space on it, though. maybe subsonic?

i love my 80 gig ipod classic, purchased some time in 2007. still works well. sometimes it'll pause itself, which is annoying, but it's pretty rare so i look past it.

when it was new i installed the klondike solitaire game they had for sale, and i still play it, more than any game on my phone.

It's funny - at no point do you really ever need your entire collection of music on demand, and I could easily just do a rotation system with a smaller capacity player...but darn'it...sometimes i just wanna hit shuffle and re-discover some whacky shit!

I definitely feel the need to have my entire music collection on the go. Unfortunately I've now got enough to probably fill two an' a bit 160GB ipods.

I adored my 160GB iPod Classic until it ran out of space.

Apple still charges $250 for these iPods because they can, and they are jerks. There is no reason to still be charging that much otherwise.

I keep considering getting some second-hand ones and having themed ipods. It'd be epic to have a Merzpod.

i love my 80 gig ipod classic, purchased some time in 2007. still works well. sometimes it'll pause itself, which is annoying, but it's pretty rare so i look past it.

when it was new i installed the klondike solitaire game they had for sale, and i still play it, more than any game on my phone.

I still play Vortex, especially when listening to ae:

Edited by hello spiral

i've been using a 512MB (!) (i think it's even more hipster than tape walkmans) mp3 player (MPIO FG-200) for about 8 years now i think, very good sound quality and it is very compact. 512 megs is enough for about 5-6 albums which i rotate when needed. it works through my computer so it's all just drag and drop without any shitware. recently i've bought a very nice pair of earbuds (yuin pk-2) (i can't tolerate ear-dildos) so my listening experience increased even more.

With the older Ipod Classic I think it was possible to do it without, with the newer ones I don't know. Maybe there are foobar plugins for that. I don't really like iTunes myself, but it's more comfortable than using just folders in windows explorer.

how can it be more comfortable/easier than dragging a folder from your computer to your mp3 player drive ?

I have that same problem. It is due to the device thinking you unplugged the headphones, because of bad contact. Maybe cleaning it up with some contact spray will help.

how can it be more comfortable/easier than dragging a folder from your computer to your mp3 player drive ?

Because I like to use the music player for managing, and then when I plug it in I automagically have all my music on there.

But my ipod just got out of the washing machine, broken of course, so I'll need a new one. Maybe I'll go with a small player of 16 gigs or so, which is perfectly fine for the stuff I listen to regularly. But 100+ gb sounds attractive as well. And expensive.

I would need a couple of 160GB ipods to fill in all my music. This ain't 2005, 128kbps is not used anymore, so cloud on-demand is the future.

Just a shame that iCloud is 5GB free, but it's way too much expensive after that (100$/year for 50GB LOL)..