IGNORED

mp3 players...where have they gone

TRiP

Cheap sony mp3 walkmans. Sound better than iPods (using the headphone jack that is)

Is there any measured evidence of this? I personally can't tell the difference between listening on my iphone/macbook internal audio/non-apple external audio device..

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheap sony mp3 walkmans. Sound better than iPods (using the headphone jack that is)

Is there any measured evidence of this? I personally can't tell the difference between listening on my iphone/macbook internal audio/non-apple external audio device..

Should have said IMO so as to not come off confrontational--not intentional!!--but from listening to the same album on an iPod and then on a walkman, using my big headphones, the walkman sounds livelier, as though it has a pre-amp of some sort. I remember reading somewhere that the iPod doesn't have one, although the one I tried was a few years back so perhaps it has changed. Maybe I should try again.

And I could not say anything for how a macbook or iPhone sounds, just the iPod I tried. Between the iPod and the sony player, the sony definitely sounded better. Imo.

Edited by Bechuga

All good man. I just hear a lot of people talk about differences in DACs or whatever without anything to back it up. I never really had an old ipod or anything so I guess I can't compare them myself!

I still use my 4th gen ipod, but soon will be using my Note 4 as a portable media device.

I got a Cowon X7 a few years back, and it sounds so great, but I never use it because the interface is shit, even after trying other interfaces.

I recently rediscovered one of these ancient things in a draw and have started using it again. Pretty standard player with ipod-knockoff design, but has big solid chunky buttons for easy track-changing in my pocket (unlike my phone which I was using until now). Holds 2gb which is more than enough for the new afx!

Look at that beauty:

41rLYB1mf%2BL.jpg

xl_Sony%20Walkman%20NWZ%20%E2%80%93%20E5

Cheap sony mp3 walkmans. Sound better than iPods (using the headphone jack that is), no colouring of sound, just mp3s through my oversized headphones. True, they don't last long--I suspect the gold plating on my headphones kills the jack inside the mp3 player--but I can't see myself changing soon. Unless a cheap variant appears that does flac too.

I'm known around town as 'that tall gimp with the large headphones'. :music:

edit: I seem to end up as the first post on a new page in every thread I post in

i still have one of these sony's in a drawer. using an itouch right now but when it dies i probably won't buy another one, i don't play the games enough on it to warrant buying another one.. i might just go with the sonys, the size is another good factor.

Using a 120 Ipod classic that i got in 2013 (my other one died after 6 years and one unlucky hour in the rain). I really really like this set up since streaming is not always ideal, i can put whatever I want on it (new afx trx w custom art yay!) and there is a lot of space.

Even though I was subscribed to Beats Music for a year, I still used the ipod more. I am kind of scared about the day it will inevitably die.

Using a 120 Ipod classic that i got in 2013 (my other one died after 6 years and one unlucky hour in the rain). I really really like this set up since streaming is not always ideal, i can put whatever I want on it (new afx trx w custom art yay!) and there is a lot of space.

Even though I was subscribed to Beats Music for a year, I still used the ipod more. I am kind of scared about the day it will inevitably die.

i guess that's another option cause it holds so much

edit: it's been discontinued? ok

Edited by yek

Seem's the market has shriveled up and died on account of smart phones and Apple.

Smartphones and Apple as some distinct entity? First post and there's already a stab at Apple. ;D

I'm back to using this baby:

how-to-play-music-on-psp.WidePlayer.jpg

Couldn't be arsed with itunes any more. I only got an 8gb MemoryStick Pro Duo (as opposed to 80gb on ipod classic) but it's fine since I can just drag n drop folders from my pc over usb.

Edited by th555

Should have said IMO so as to not come off confrontational--not intentional!!--but from listening to the same album on an iPod and then on a walkman, using my big headphones, the walkman sounds livelier, as though it has a pre-amp of some sort. I remember reading somewhere that the iPod doesn't have one, although the one I tried was a few years back so perhaps it has changed. Maybe I should try again.

And I could not say anything for how a macbook or iPhone sounds, just the iPod I tried. Between the iPod and the sony player, the sony definitely sounded better. Imo.

I don't know what your "big headphones" are, but don't they usually need amplification? I could walk around with my AKG 240s, but without a portable amp they're gonna sound like crap

Edited by ThatSpanishGuy

I don't know what your "big headphones" are, but don't they usually need amplification? I could walk around with my AKG 240s, but without a portable amp they're gonna sound like crap

I use the Sony MDR-V700DJ's, because of a mix of sounding clear (no xtra bass etc) with a good frequency range, relatively cheap for the quality and the fact that the first pair I had lasted me eight years. They're indestructable!

No amp needed, they sound VERY loud. The volume on my player goes up to 30, but I my average vol is 18 which is pretty loud through those. If I was to go higher than that, I would go deaf pretty quickly.

I've been using 8gb Sony for years and I love that baby. But thanks to the Aphex soundcloud dump (sorry fingers slipped...) I was forced to find a new player with bigger memory. Couldn't anymore choose what to delete. EAP? Analords? Nope, really don't think so. I've been looking for Sony 16 gb for a while and now that I've got a perfect excuse I decided to get one. Yes, it has only a flash memory and not a memory card slot but since I'm not an audiophile it fills my needs. Haven't really been interested to get iPod. For what I've been told shouldn’t I use it in sync with itunes or something? It's much more practical to transfer files from one folder to another which is impossible with iStuff (?). I haven't really investigated if it's true or not so might be a false statement. I use itunes though because it's good for transferring the bitrates and formats etc. My collection is mainly sitting on a shelf and I've got only my digital-only releases on computer. Can't be arsed to digitalize my whole collection just to get them on iPod.

As for the headphones I've been very satisfied with my ATH-MK700PRO. I replaced the ear pads to the ones that come with PRO500MK since they are slightly bigger and while 700's speakers are biggish they can tickle your ears when using the original pads. I had previously Pioneer HDJ-1000 which I loved but thanks to the piece of shit thin plastic parts they didn't last even a year. So one of the reasons why I chose MK700s was that they are very durable. You could drive a tank over them and there wouldn't even be a scratch. Plus since their ohm rate is low I don't need a headphone amp. Keeps things simple.

You don't even need to sync, just tick "Manually manage music and videos" or whatever the option is these days (and disable automatic sync), and you can drag and drop music to the ipod/iphone like any other player.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on my 3rd Sansa Clip and still rockboxin it like a boss. Prolly should buy another one just to have when they stop makin' em

I use one of these too but the headphone connection is iffy and needs to be held in a particular position so I only use it when running now. I used to have the bigger version (non-clip?) that I preferred because the clip is teeny tiny.