IGNORED

rob brown talks about exai

Franciscus

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rob needs to do more interviews, I like what he has to say. Seems much less stoic and less mysterious than Sean's usual interview answers. Much more relatable in terms of just how he comes across in the interview imo

Great interview.

I think we had the right idea by turning all the lights off and making it so worthwhile that all you’re hearing is just the music, and there’s more mystique and more mystery and more free thinking. More people are making their own minds up about what they like about this, in their own weird place. There might be 750 people in a warehouse listening to one big soundsystem and not really being able to see us on stage, but at the same time you’ve got loads of people actually almost thirstily soaking it up.”

totally agree with JR that they are the most down-to-earth of the IDM superstars.

It's one reason I really like their post-Quaristice era. Not everything hits the mark, I think, but it sounds like they are in a really healthy and productive zone. Oversteps and Exai really seem like the product of mature artists, and I mean that in the best way. Still creative, still having fun experimenting, maybe not quite as intense as in earlier times, but perhaps more capable than ever of crafting pleasurable musical journeys. Oversteps and Exai are great albums.

He does seemingly reference watmm more than once in that interview though, lol - I really hope they aren't spending too much time on here, it's probably not healthy haha...

On the other hand they seem more capable than others at handling the pseudo-celebrity bubble (BoC I'm looking at you)...

This might veer more towards EKT Discussion, but this particular bit struck a chord with me (no pun intended):

We’d always try and harness every little accident we found, we’d try and either reverse-engineer our timeline and what caused it to happen so it could happen whenever we wanted, or just make sure we were recording stuff at the time and keep looking. I think you make your own luck sometimes.

To my knowledge, this is how instruments like the didgeridoo and theremin were invented. I was interested in didgeridoos for some reason as a teenager, and according to a manual I read on them, they were invented a very long time ago when an aboriginal man attempted to extract food from a hollowed-out branch by blowing into it, and got that drone sound as a result.
As for the theremin, I watched a VHS tape all about it and its inventor, Leon Theremin, a long time ago. Supposedly it was originally intended as some proximity alarm system, but Leon discovered that the very proximity dictates the frequency at which the system's oscillator sounds, thereby creating basically a touchless analogue synthesizer.

This reminds me of that Bill Murray quote in the Murray vs Chase thread recently. It was about getting famous and having to adjust to it and when failing to do so, you'd stay being a dick for the rest of your life.

How about starting an Ae vs RDJ thread?

lol

totally uncalled for. But still wondering whether the shoe fits though ;D

“He was saying our last possible chance is with the 3D printing model, and how lots of designers are building models to give away for free on the internet – say my kettle breaks I can download my favourite kettle design and print my own out and not give the guy any money – but he was saying perhaps if we just spend a fraction of a penny or a fraction of a cent or whatever on these tiny things, that guy will get $70,000 dollars a year from 700,000 people downloading his idea and I think those tiny contributions are where it might have to go. Tiny little thankyous go a long way when it’s en masse.”

As an almost entirely unrelated sidenote: i was in a meeting about the future for new drugs for curing cancer and had some sort of discussion with someone working for one of the big pharma companies. he mentioned that the production process of the future of those medicines would be based on 3d printing. to which i gladly jumped the gun and predicted the future of "napster pharmaceuticals". Where everyone has their own 3d printer at home and people could freely (illegally?) download the blueprints for medicines and make them themselves. Bye bye business model for big pharma. :D

The irony is that big pharma works effortlessly on making drugs in the cheapest way possible (and they're quite good at it!), so in a way, they are dependent on these 3d printers themselves as well. At this point in time they're probably thinking they could make lots of money by simply creating medicines with 3d printers and selling them for big bucks. The reality is that it only take one leak of a medicine blue print for the entire world to be able to download it and make those pills themselves, for hardly any money.

catch 22?

John Twells = Xela, right?

I believe so. Shame really...

Yes, John Twells is indeed Xela (but Xela isn't anymore). He is also the guy behind Type, the label bringing up music from a various of different styles.

Archived