IGNORED

alternatives to google?

Guest chunky

tired of google.

their friend+ weird thing is very strange, trying to boost ad revenue by getting personal photos and friends lists. im not big on facebook but at least it was spread by word of mouth on university campuses. friend+ tries to sneak it's way into your email account. thats super lame. cold caller style.

then there's the NSA spying thing and all the media PR nonsense surrounding that. trying to say they are angry with the NSA, trying to distance themselves when they went along spying and invasion of privacy.

youtubes got slower than ever, with too much junk on the screen and menus.

so what are the alternatives? yahoo has way too many ads and junk.

google was popular because its mantra was dont do evil, it had simple features that worked better than others. now its bogged down with marketing and PR rubbish.

so what are the good alternatives for video and search?

for email hushmail is simple and easy but the accounts shut down if theyre not used for 3 weeks.

for video is there a simple site with a search bar, fast videos and an easy way to message other members?

tired of google.

their friend+ weird thing is very strange, trying to boost ad revenue by getting personal photos and friends lists. im not big on facebook but at least it was spread by word of mouth on university campuses. friend+ tries to sneak it's way into your email account. thats super lame. cold caller style.

then there's the NSA spying thing and all the media PR nonsense surrounding that. trying to say they are angry with the NSA, trying to distance themselves when they went along spying and invasion of privacy.

youtubes got slower than ever, with too much junk on the screen and menus.

so what are the alternatives?

Stop using the internet.

Guest fiznuthian

Has it been broken? Silk road was brought down using techniques unrelated to Tor traffic..
You have something I can read? Last I read the NSA was struggling with Tor.
There's DDOS attacks to reveal nodes but traffic analysis was still impossible I thought.

Has it been broken? Silk road was brought down using techniques unrelated to Tor traffic..

You have something I can read? Last I read the NSA was struggling with Tor.

There's DDOS attacks to reveal nodes but traffic analysis was still impossible I thought.

Tor traffic itself is not invisible. ISPs can see when you're using Tor, although they obviously can't see the actual packets.

Using Tor in and of itself could warrant you being classified by the NSA / GCHQ as 'questionable', and if you use Tor from your home, your ISP knows you are using Tor, so the NSA / GCHQ knows you're using Tor.

edit: also, I would like to point out that simply using Tor does not mean your activity online is anonymous. Tor Project themselves make a very big thing out of making a point of this.

Archived