IGNORED

Stakker Humanoid: how the Future Sound of London won hearts and minds

Guest jasondonervan

Guest jasondonervan

Interesting article over at the Guardian for a classic choon:

Twenty-five years ago this month, a record by the name of Stakker Humanoid crashed its way into mainstream UK culture. With the backing of unlikely champions such as Bruno Brookes and Pete Waterman, the record – released by a mysterious artist called Humanoid – became the first truly credible UK acid house record to break into the mainstream. It went on to reach number 17 in the UK charts as the winter of 1988 drew in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GORuTT30NqM

There was an album by Humanoid called "Global", has this "Sunshine and Brick" track on it (often wrongly attributed to other acts but was definitely humanoid).

Its kindof acid brutalist urban poetry or something

nsfw because it starts with a loud sample of something that would have seemed rude in the 80s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lZXpSjXxxM

If you look closely at the CD notes from FSOL's Dead Cities, the lyrics from this track are in there.

Oh and the Snowman Mix was the best version by far

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVgIfxDVNSM

I used to have this on a tape. I haven't heard this for 25 years or so. Goosebumps.

You can get a CD version of it on the 2003 Rephlex release Humanoid Sessions 84–88 (It's the opening track - and yeah it's flipping great)

I also quite like Plump DJ's 2001 version that appeared on Wipeout Fusion -

Guest margaret thatcher

Monster track - I have the Simply 12 reissue with all sorts of edits on it, and also that Deep Heat double LP with the Snowman mix (it also has Strings of Life, Big Fun, Me Myself & I, Pump up the Jams - instant party LP!).

Also the TOTP performance is incredible.

Monster track - I have the Simply 12 reissue with all sorts of edits on it, and also that Deep Heat double LP with the Snowman mix (it also has Strings of Life, Big Fun, Me Myself & I, Pump up the Jams - instant party LP!).

When I was 15 or so my big sister had a friend who was a raver who made a tape of that Deep Heat 89 compilation and - looking back - it had quite a lot of influence on what music I liked.

Yeah good read, cheers. Every new story about acid discovery is kinda the opposite to the previous one even from the most credible sources. This is new light again.

And British acid-ers, don't take my assault racially, British men like AFX and Ae etc. made acid way cooler than it was initially on your little island, i have nothing against British music aside from its hyper-agressive worldwide PR of total shit of all styles that makes US grotesque export look comparable. I blame Beatles

Yeah good read, cheers. Every new story about acid discovery is kinda the opposite to the previous one even from the most credible sources. This is new light again.

And British acid-ers, don't take my assault racially, British men like AFX and Ae etc. made acid way cooler than it was initially on your little island, i have nothing against British music aside from its hyper-agressive worldwide PR of total shit of all styles that makes US grotesque export look comparable. I blame Beatles

twat

Archived