IGNORED

do you think this is racism?

Ivan Ooze

so i used to love tex avery when i was a kid, my dad taped every cartoon, i was looking for this awesome one called magical maestro on youtube and it seems to be banned for racism :cerious:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/467172/magical_maestro/

is the ban bullshit or could it truely have hurt someone's feelings??

is it racism? what's your onion on this?

also can anyone id the tracks in this cartoon?? holy shit

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of cartoons from the 40's and 50's would nowadays be considered racist - Tom and Jerry cartoons, with their stereotypical black housekeeper (aka Aunt Jemima), are a good example. I notice nowadays when they show reruns of those episodes, her voice has been redubbed.

Lots of cartoons from the 40's and 50's would nowadays be considered racist - Tom and Jerry cartoons, with their stereotypical black housekeeper (aka Aunt Jemima), are a good example. I notice nowadays when they show reruns of those episodes, her voice has been redubbed.

no fucking way :sad: what's the point???

edit: i loved aunt

no fucking way :sad: what's the point???

edit: i loved aunt

Well they obviously redubbed it due to her stereotypical black "yassah massah" voice, etc.

They've edited the ones showing smoking as well.

I remember during the Tom & Jerry DVD releases they had Whoopi Goldberg do a succinct intro/disclaimer, sums up the dilemma well. They should not be changed or forgotten, but nonetheless the issues should be recognized:

The cartoons you are about to see are products of their time. They may depict some of the ethnic and racial prejudices that were commonplace in the U.S society. These depictions were wrong then and they are wrong today. While the following does not represent the Warner Bros. view of today's society, these cartoons are being presented as they were originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming that these prejudices never existed.

Also, very few people say this segments from Fantasia (one of my favorite films as a little kid) after 1969:

Likewise, Song_of_the_South has never been released on VHS or DVD (or streaming) and probably never will, even though it's song "Zip A Dee Do Dah" and other bits are referenced heavily.

Pretty sure I've still got this on VHS somewhere.

Song_of_the_South.jpg

I used to watch it at my nan's house, who was white and married to a black man from Alabama. I don't know what they were thinking.

I think if there is the slightest question of racist subject matter in anything prior to the civil rights movement, it's very likely its very racist.

Even today. If you have to ask "Is this racist", it likely is... or at least disregarding racial sensitivity.

I personally have no tolerance for any form of racism or racist grey area. There aren't excuses. It's hurtful and insensitive.

If you feel like someone else is being too sensitive about the subject, try living your life from their point of view.

so i used to love tex avery when i was a kid, my dad taped every cartoon, i was looking for this awesome one called magical maestro on youtube and it seems to be banned for racism :cerious:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/467172/magical_maestro/

is the ban bullshit or could it truely have hurt someone's feelings??

is it racism? what's your onion on this?

also can anyone id the tracks in this cartoon?? holy shit

this is not racist, the dog is just doing various types of music from country to Hawaiian, the "racist" part, he was just doing black music (blues).

bullshit censorship.

I hate white guilt and fake offense.

I hope you're not implying I'm generally faking offense at racism.

I really shouldn't have posted in this thread in the first place. I'm going to bounce before it ends up consuming way too much of my time defending my opinions.

I just want to say that racism is a problem. I believe anyone who thinks it isn't is likely a racist.

I think if there is the slightest question of racist subject matter in anything prior to the civil rights movement, it's very likely its very racist.

Even today. If you have to ask "Is this racist", it likely is... or at least disregarding racial sensitivity.

I personally have no tolerance for any form of racism or racist grey area. There aren't excuses. It's hurtful and insensitive.

If you feel like someone else is being too sensitive about the subject, try living your life from their point of view.

spoken like a true gestapo

We could be discussing how those cartoons exposed us to jazz, opera, et cetera at a very young age whereas nowadays it's all Teletubbies and Studio 100. I mean, this could have been a thread about how awesome these cartoons are.

in b4 lock

there is a difference between tolerance and oversensitive.

Most of us are tolerant, censoring a cartoon because a dog is imitating a black blues musician is oversensitivity.

classic retort broheim.

it's pretty obviously racist and just because YOU can't see it does not make it untrue.

right back at ya broheim

edit: i'm sorry but it seems the problem lies with people like you and not with me

Guest disparaissant

The difference being that it was banned because it's racist, and being the overly privileged white male that you are, you assert that this was done in error because you don't understand how stereotypes are harmful. Typicalzzzzzz.

The difference being that it was banned because it's racist, and being the overly privileged white male that you are, you assert that this was done in error because you don't understand how stereotypes are harmful. Typicalzzzzzz.

Spoke the emo chick, lol whatever man hail burzum and a$ap

Archived