IGNORED

"Cop Murders Unarmed Civilian" Thread

LimpyLoo

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deleted that, thought it was the same video as in the link (where they don't actually show the shooting).

Can we please stop posting videos of people getting killed. If you want snuff and gore, there are other places to find that on the web.

It's fine to link to a story or article with the video, provided you give a warning. But seriously, this ain't ogrish or 4chan.

http://rt.com/usa/266677-tamir-rice-murder-charge/

A judge has found that there is probable cause to charge the Cleveland, Ohio police officer accused of shooting and killing 12-year-old Tamir Rice with murder, while his partner could be charged with negligent homicide, according to local news reports.

http://rt.com/usa/266677-tamir-rice-murder-charge/

A judge has found that there is probable cause to charge the Cleveland, Ohio police officer accused of shooting and killing 12-year-old Tamir Rice with murder, while his partner could be charged with negligent homicide, according to local news reports.

finally, jesus

Pretty cynical pov, altough understandable. And prob a view that many share. I'm seeing other practicle reasons (instead of ideological ones) why cops can get away with stuff like this, at this point in time.

The most obvious is the potential consequences a conviction would entail. I'd think that the minute a cop would get convicted, the consequences could be enormous. Not in the least because it's already pretty clear there is a larger cultural problem within the police department. And this might be an important reason why judges wont convict cops at this point in time. What would happen with the current police department, and law enforcement in general, if their 'tools' are taken from them? Would they still be able to "enforce law"? The cultural aspect is not one that could change over night.

If a judge sees this as a problem, i suspect he/she would act in such way that he/she thinks would be best for the community. And even though that currently means "more fuel to the fire", the other potential fire, after a cop does get convicted, might be perceived as a potentially larger one. This might be why you see these cops not convicted, but suspended instead.

Although the current lack of convictions seem to imply an ideological gap between law enforcement/judicial arm and the rest of society, it might be more of a practical issue. Is the current police department ready for a new way of law enforcing? I suspect cops will be convicted in a context where police departments are ready to deal with the consequences.

Tldr: might be interesting to look past the ideological toward the practical issues involved to get a different take on the current state of events

Cops all over the world are able to enforce the law without shooting people dead.

yeah i mean we're not talking about taking their guns from them

it's just a matter of not being able to shoot someone 13 times in the back if they run from you

or just like "well this person might be a threat so let's shoot him just in case"

if a cop can't "enforce law" without this stuff then they probably shouldn't be a cop to begin with

This fictional "Cops vs. Civilians" conflict is the biggest load of bullshit right now (aside from the even stupider "Feminists vs. Gamers" garbage) and everyone who buys into it is too blind to see that they're being controlled like fucking puppets. It's all a blatantly artificial battle that's being synthesized by the media for profit. Cops haven't turned into monsters in the past few years. The only difference is that the news bosses have been blowing it up because they saw an opportunity to profit from people's fear. You can't let these guys win. Posting these links and giving them profit only makes it worse.

This fictional "Cops vs. Civilians" conflict is the biggest load of bullshit right now (aside from the even stupider "Feminists vs. Gamers" garbage) and everyone who buys into it is too blind to see that they're being controlled like fucking puppets. It's all a blatantly artificial battle that's being synthesized by the media for profit. Cops haven't turned into monsters in the past few years. The only difference is that the news bosses have been blowing it up because they saw an opportunity to profit from people's fear. You can't let these guys win. Posting these links and giving them profit only makes it worse.

Well there's a lot more context to it than that. The issue is heavily tied to the war on drugs/mass incarceration/institutional racism and the governments' refusal to admit it's deeply fucked.

Well there's a lot more context to it than that. The issue is heavily tied to the war on drugs/mass incarceration/institutional racism and the governments' refusal to admit it's deeply fucked.

Well obviously yeah, but that has nothing to do with the new "policemen are evil dragons from the dark ages" propaganda. The government has been fucked up a lot longer than that, and it's not like anything can be done. Democracy is an inherently flawed system that is fundamentally governed by corruption, and government in general will never, ever work. Blaming the police isn't going to change anything.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Well obviously yeah, but that has nothing to do with the new "policemen are evil dragons from the dark ages" propaganda. The government has been fucked up a lot longer than that, and it's not like anything can be done. Democracy is an inherently flawed system that is fundamentally governed by corruption, and government in general will never, ever work. Blaming the police isn't going to change anything.

flol overload. You and delet are going to get on like a house on fire

Occasionally the media exploits things that probably should have our attention. Just because this stuff has already been happening for decades doesn't mean you shouldn't be pissed.

flol overload. You and delet are going to get on like a house on fire

lol

cops have always been a little loose with the law (to put it euphemistically) but until the advent of cell phones with cameras, there wasn't widespread awareness of the problem

if you think this is a fake problem manufactured by the media, then that's a lol

come in here all "wake up, sheeple"

like you got the real, pure truth and we're all a bunch of suckers

either present information to support your thesis

or eat a hunk of my poop

What's the point of posting that? To demonize the cops? To illustrate that reliance on guns as a problem solving tool is really not helpful? What's your take on it Limpy? Is it just "oh cop with gun bad"?

Note that there were no fatalities as a result (thankfully), so it doesn't really fit the criteria of the thread.

well, the thread title actually says 'murder' so even the posts that do involve fatalities, i think at least a few may be debatable whether it was actually 'murder', but maybe thats just me.

What's the point of posting that? To demonize the cops? To illustrate that reliance on guns as a problem solving tool is really not helpful? What's your take on it Limpy? Is it just "oh cop with gun bad"?

Note that there were no fatalities as a result (thankfully), so it doesn't really fit the criteria of the thread.

the scope of the thread has widened a bit if you hadn't noticed.

Cop tries to shoot a dog, and hits a 4-year old. Dunno, cops are a bit trigger-happy, innit.

Do you think that this dog-shooting was by the book but unfortunately there was some collateral damage?

Well since details are a bit sparse I have no idea what actually went down.

I'll agree that cops are trigger happy, well US cops, at least out of countries that we generally associate with the global north.

haha I didn't see this post before. holy shit. Are you serious? You're right cops have always been monsters. Anyone who signs up to lock people in cages for manifestly unjust reasons is a monster.

• 4 weeks later...

So, while discussing this issue with some people on facebook, I was made aware of why officers are legally allowed to pull a person from their vehicle without cause during a traffic stop. There were two supreme court cases...

Maryland v. Wilson 1997

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/95-1268.ZO.html

Pennsylvania v. Mimms 1977

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/434/106/

In both these cases, although there was no harm brought upon an officer, it was ordered that an officer be able to pull people from their vehicles for no reason during a stop. The determining factor was that it was in the interest of the officers safety. (never heard that line before)

In Maryland v. Wilson there was a pretty poignant dissent from Justice Stevens. ( I made this photo to attempt to increase attention to the basis of this problem)

In m opinion, it is absurd that officers are allowed this right, because I believe it is provably equally unsafe to extract people from their vehicles during stops, and I also believe that it opens the door to large scale abuse of people as well as illegal and informal searches.

I've been at the receiving end of this tactic, and it is well illustrated in the Sandra Bland incident. The incident wherein it happened to me was also due to my refusal to follow unlawful commands and refusal to answer questions I had a right to refuse answering.

In both instances in Texas when I was asked/forced to leave my vehicle, my vehicle was illegally searched.

It is my position that these cases need to be reviewed, and that the rulings must be overturned to ensure that citizens are not abused by police officers. It is an unnecessary requirement and it forces citizens into unsafe situations with officers. It is also degrades the police/civilian relationship, because it gives officers an undue means of control and many opportunities to infringe upon the rights of citizens.

0BK1wzJ.jpg

Archived