IGNORED

"Cop Murders Unarmed Civilian" Thread

LimpyLoo

According to the owner of the shop he was outside, Alton was in there shortly beforehand joking with him. He also said in years he had never seen Alton get confrontational with anyone. Also, he said there was no reason for the police to have been called as far as he could tell. Looks like one of the officers shouts "GUN" as he's searching him. How you could think that they were in danger when holding him against the floor is beyond me. They should be imprisoned for murder, probably won't be though.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ do you have a link I can check out? It's just showing a picture of the report.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/07/21/theater-shooting-suspect-was-brilliant-science-student/

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/07/cnn-digs-up-old-mug-shot-of-louisiana-man-killed-by-police-does-he-have-a-history-of-violence/

btw: stepheng: do you suppose if you were black you'd think it wasn't fair to boil it down simply to race? genuinely curious about that

My initial response is that I would imagine if I was black I would understand my context/point in history I'm living in and do my best not to have a gun or resist arrest. But I understand it's more complex than that, there are socioeconomic factors/forces etc that systematically funnel certain demographics (black and otherwise) into crime. + the fact that disadvantaged demographics are BORN into families that may be disadvantaged to begin with, suggesting environmental factors beyond the individuals control...etc. For example if you're born into a relatively poor family, the likelihood of obtaining higher education etc is lower, etc.

So in short, yeah I guess you asked a good question.

According to the owner of the shop he was outside, Alton was in there shortly beforehand joking with him. He also said in years he had never seen Alton get confrontational with anyone. Also, he said there was no reason for the police to have been called as far as he could tell. Looks like one of the officers shouts "GUN" as he's searching him. How you could think that they were in danger when holding him against the floor is beyond me. They should be imprisoned for murder, probably won't be though.

They should get charged with murder either way, whether the guy was inside joking with the clerk, or if he was threatening civilians etc!!!

In the video they have the guy pinned down. Even if the guy had an assault rifle or something, they should have just tased him if they couldn't cuff him imo. At that point they had him pinned and had substantial control over the guy, by the looks of it.

btw: stepheng: do you suppose if you were black you'd think it wasn't fair to boil it down simply to race? genuinely curious about that

My initial response is that I would imagine if I was black I would understand my context/point in history I'm living in and do my best not to have a gun or resist arrest.

interesting answer. but that then means you're not equal to someone else who would be free to carry a gun, like these proud citizens

and if you're not equal to someone else, it only makes sense to point out the differences, just so nobody (including you) forgets their place

Well yes, the reality of it is that racism is very real.

Whether it's fair or equal or not is superfluous to the reality that certain demographics are treated differently. That's why I said I'd do my best to understand my personal context (IE where I fit in society) and act accordingly. A loose analogy: Imagine being a devout catholic, living in the middle east Syria/Iraq/Afghanistan (thought I should be more specific), and preaching the "word of god" on every street corner? Although you should have the right of free speech and freedom of religion, the reality is that people like that are killed (fairly) openly in those places and in the interest of preserving your life as a rational human being you'd probably adjust how you act.

Back to Alton, even though it's unfair, shouldn't he have acted according to his context in society, not had a concealed weapon (if he did in fact), not resisted arrest, or otherwise act in the interest of mitigating an escalation of a situation which statistically is shown to end poorly for his demographic? <<<< this is an unfair statement probably, due to the socioeconomic and environmental factors I pointed out in my post earlier (among many, many other factors I didn't point out, don't know about, and don't understand). It's quite possible even if he was engaged in criminal behavior that he was pushed into it via various societal/economic pressures beyond (maybe) his control to influence. This should speak not only to Alton but for any disadvantaged individual of any color/race/religion/creed or whatever, btw that finds themselves in a similar situation. I believe the statistics RE criminality and economic background exist, to support this general notion.

Both the police and Alton had the opportunity to do better in this situation but ultimately it's the cops that are murderers so hopefully they get put to jail.

unnamed black man found hanging in piedmont park this morning after kkk were seen handing out flyers day before. hours after was case closed as a suicide. mayor has very smartly referred the case to the fbi: http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/police-body-found-in-piedmont-park-a-suicide-victi/nrtJq/

I seem to remember reading an article on KKK membership and how there were members high up in the police force and some politicians as well, particularly in the south like Oklahoma and Kansas. I'll see if I can find the article.

Scary stuff

fucking hell. wtf is wrong with your country?

hopefully the graphic nature of the stream and the removal of any doubt in this instance will lead to something finally happening, I've seen nothing but shock in relation to this, no attempts to justify the cops actions (though maybe I just haven't looked hard enough, only heard about this just now).

fucking hell. wtf is wrong with your country?

hopefully the graphic nature of the stream and the removal of any doubt in this instance will lead to something finally happening, I've seen nothing but shock in relation to this, no attempts to justify the cops actions (though maybe I just haven't looked hard enough, only heard about this just now).

her talk was pretty powerful. hit me atypically hard about half-way through. police have a very bad sort of bad apple problem on their hands. there are good police around i am sure, but the force attracts or breeds some certain type of man i am it seems. it's fascinating that camera technology and digital media is starting to bring us closer to our relationship with law enforcement than ever. it is certain that sinister shit is very likely widespread. american policeman is one brutal motherfucker sometimes. hopefully stronger oversight happens soon.

Guest bitroast

jesus, the shooter has some heavy duty firepower:

(( twitter vid ))

:psyduck:

that's horrible.

america knows it has a gun problem, right ?? : (

jesus, the shooter has some heavy duty firepower:

(( twitter vid ))

:psyduck:

that's horrible.

america knows it has a gun problem, right ?? : (

obviously we don't have enough guns to protect ourselves from each other and the cops is the only problem we have

/sarcasm

Guest bitroast

that gun sounds wild. i hope i didn't make the mistake in assuming such a BEAST of a gun is actually legal over there.

that gun sounds wild. i hope i didn't make the mistake in assuming such a BEAST of a gun is actually legal over there.

It more than likely is, unfortunately

10 cops were shot, three dead, three more in critical condition. Shooters (two of them) were in sniper positions.

The way it sounded it could have been a .308 semi-automatic rifle.

Either way, scary shit. And I was wrong in my earlier post because ABC is already showing more footage. Moments like these make me afraid of what kind of country we're becoming.

I mean, it's Texas after all.

Supposedly 10 officers have been hit and a couple are dead.

Archived