IGNORED

These hipster scarves need to stop

Rubin Farr

The icing on the cake was they interrupted a decent DJ set so a DJ they hired could throw a "Silent DJ Party." Basically a guy played EDM and top40 dance off of a laptop to 20+ headphones for people to dance too. So all you saw were people dancing and humming, half-singing, or moaning in what was otherwise silence. I get it (keeps noise down for neighbors?) but I didn't get it. I actually hated it. It was hilarious surreal though. The best part was when the DJ played this Miley Cyrus song and people danced in silence, unaware that the joke was on them...

Relax dude, the Flaming Lips did that kind of thing 20 years ago.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh my god, now i hate austin.

Most of the people there worked for tech startups, marketing or ad firms, or ATX's other tech offices, including facebook. They were friendly but so odd and "calculated" as if they were trying to sell something all the time.

this describes almost everyone under thirty in the northern virginia/dc metro area.

Yeah it sucks but I can't be an old bitter cynic about it. There's plenty of music fans that have bills to pay and work regular jobs like myself. There's still plenty of kickass venues and scenes in town and a lot of great people, artists, musicians, etc. It's funny though seeing different crowds: naive college kids, old hippies, aging scenesters in their 30s and 40s, the yupsters I mentioned. I moved here just after the "sleepy college town" phase of Austin ended. Things change, I make the best of it. :sleep:

If I ever came across one of those parties, I would be forced to commit several serious acts of violence.

Holy lol that's comedy gold. I would have died laughing.

We all giggled a lot, what else was there to do?

Yeah I'd forgotten about that, but they also gave everyone in the audience one and it was novel at the time. They also set up speakers to play the subsonic frequencies.

When iPods first hit, it was called mobile clubbing. Kinda flash mob based.

If I recall, Aphex also did a gig where they handed out headphones around the Drukqs time period.

Again, these seem more novel and fun - flash mobs especially. The thing at this party involved a DJ rolling in (or I forgot to mention because it was irrelevant, but the DJ was wheelchair bound [but not Chris Clark]) only handing out 20 or so headphones and playing traktor dj mixes on more than one signal. Guy before that was spinning vinyl and throwing in samples with an MPC - and his set was cut short. It was just lame and oddly mean imo. People were literally begging for headphones. Again, quite absurd and funny in retrospect.

but that's honestly the genesis of at least in san francisco some of the traveling hipster douche phenomenon. I remember that flaming lips 'listening party' event at at the first 'noise pop' event in SF (take note: the phrase already indicates a hipster appropriation of the term noise) . For me the flaming lips were the ones who opened the floodgates for the plebs to be into 'experimental' music around here

so i could see the need to give it context, that this has already been happening but it's far from relaxing!

OK so maybe this is mean, but why are so many ugly people hipsters?

Why are many ugly people juggalos? Or emo or gothic or bronies or whatever? To feel accepted, and to feel part of a larger group. Or as a defense mechanism, maybe? (just guessing - I don't know what being ugly feels like)

As an ugly person who is some kind of goth/ex goth, let me explain...

Kids (at school) reject other kids on the basis that they are weird, ugly, weak, not the right shape, not interested in the right things, not cool enough etc. etc. etc., their family are dull and boring and completely unrelateable, everyone they see on TV is only concerned with wealth, beauty, celebrity, power etc. etc., they become disenchanted.

Then those kids find music and art and books that are interesting and reflect how they actually feel, then they start dressing differently because they like it and it reflects how they feel and looks cool, and for me anyway, as a bit of a sarcastic dig at people

OK so maybe this is mean, but why are so many ugly people hipsters?

Why are many ugly people juggalos? Or emo or gothic or bronies or whatever? To feel accepted, and to feel part of a larger group. Or as a defense mechanism, maybe? (just guessing - I don't know what being ugly feels like)

As an ugly person who is some kind of goth/ex goth, let me explain...

Kids (at school) reject other kids on the basis that they are weird, ugly, weak, not the right shape, not interested in the right things, not cool enough etc. etc. etc., their family are dull and boring and completely unrelateable, everyone they see on TV is only concerned with wealth, beauty, celebrity, power etc. etc., they become disenchanted.

Then those kids find music and art and books that are interesting and reflect how they actually feel, then they start dressing differently because they like it and it reflects how they feel and looks cool, and for me anyway, as a bit of a sarcastic dig at people

Ugliness is so subjective anyway, I've noticed that the rich, wealthy, and powerful (and likewise the "popular" kids in school) are often some of the least attractive people physically and facially. Their lifestyles, fashion, and body-types are enough to distract people from realizing that.

Good observation though hoggy, and I'll have to add (again this is generalizing) that I've noticed most people who have a rough time as teenagers in high school often rely on smaller, more dedicated groups of friends instead of bigger "acceptable" cliques. Cliques themselves are a bit of a manufactured concept. Hell, some of the most attractive and beautiful people I know were "ugly ducklings" as teens.

It's all subjective anyway, a good heart and personal disposition makes it all irrelevant. I think all of my friends are beautiful people (objectively they're are all attractive I'm sure) because they're intelligent, loyal and loving people I can relate with and who make me happy. I feel the same way about WATMM. Ugly versus beautiful in the context we speak up is manufactured by society. Everyone's different and while I get the trends mentioned they are indeed stereotypes, not fact.

But for the record none of them wear ridiculous scarves.

• 1 year later...

Archived