IGNORED

Autechre - SYptixed

cear

Guest jasondonervan

On my first listen now...

0:00: Sean and Rob are sat in a beaten up old car in the car park of the local supermarket. Sean is in the driving seat. It's after hours, nobody's in the shop. Cut to a brief view of the car stereo's LED, which is a bit broken, the word 'TOPLEL' flickering intermittently. Panning shot of the running exhaust. The chre boys don ski masks, sizing up the view of the entrance doors across the car park, then look at each other with a knowing nod. Close-up of Sean's foot hitting the accelerator, and the car jumps into life. Jump cuts of the car as it speeds towards the supermarket.

01:28: The car impacts the doors, smashing the merry fuck out of them. Rear shot of the car, with the boot lid popped up as a result of the collision. Both exit the wrecked vehicle, and Sean heads to the car boot, reaches inside and pulls out a large jerry can of petrol. Rob gets to do a chiastic slide over the bonnet, and they make their way inside. Varying shots of long and short range follow the lads as they head through the supermarket. They make it to the doorway of the back office.

03:18: Rob kicks the door open, but instead of going in, both he and Sean stand motionless at the doorway... long-zooming shot from the supermarket main floor, squeezing past the arms of the chre, to the office interior where the store manager sits, terrified. An unaccounted for distraction in an otherwise solid plan. Rob starts bagging bundles of cash into his various and ample North Face pockets from an open safe while Sean pushes the manager out to the shopfloor, handing the jerry can to him, gesturing that he should start shaking the contents out. The manager has no choice but to comply, and we see him spreading fuel everywhere.

05:00: Shot of Rob jumping up and legging it out of the office, then the empty safe. He runs down the aisles towards the entrance where Sean and the whimpering store manager are stood. As he runs towards the pair, Rob kicks out the manager's leg, who goes down to the floor with a thud. Sean puts the boot in while the manager is down, just to be sure. Sean pulls a box of matches from his pocket, sparks one, then flicks it to the fuel-laden floor. We don't see an explosion... as we cut to...

06:13: Exterior shots of the battered car speeding down the M62 with smoke billowing from the engine. Shot of the ski masks on the back seat.

07:05: A very close shot of flames dancing in full frame. The store manager's fate is left unknown.

Addendum: Everything is shot in slo-motion.

------

FAO Warp: I'll need £27,000, access to the Aldi supermarket in Halifax and 4 days of filming to shoot this for an official video. Drop me a PM, but please take into account that I'm unavailable until September at the earliest. Cheers.

since exai, either they have new speakers or they're working more on headphones...

Edited by xox

Guest WNS000

since exai, either they have new speakers or they're working more on headphones...

Nice remark.

My exact thoughts too. I think they use headphones more, because there are obvious headphones "symptoms" on Exai and L-Event.

Edited by Jev

Guest WNS000

It's false dichotomy, you hear what you're inclined to.

If you mean this as a reply to our "headphone-mix" conversation then I think you are wrong with this one. I strongly believe Exai has obvious headphone-mix properties and problems (I am not saying it was mixed completely on headphones).

If that was your reply to somebody else in the thread, then ignore my post, please.

If you mean this as a reply to our "headphone-mix" conversation then I think you are wrong with this one. I strongly believe Exai has obvious headphone-mix properties and problems (I am not saying it was mixed completely on headphones).

If that was your reply to somebody else in the thread, then ignore my post, please.

Yes, it is a reply. Well, the problem is it's you who believe, so it's you who should have some, well, reasons other than speculation. Do you have an experience of creating tracks that sound like Exai? What i believe is that there is no headphones nor speakers in this music, it's like thinking about headache the writer must have had.

Guest WNS000

Yes, it is a reply. Well, the problem is it's you who believe, so it's you who should have some, well, reasons other than speculation. Do you have an experience of creating tracks that sound like Exai? What i believe is that there is no headphones nor speakers in this music, it's like thinking about headache the writer must have had.

Yes, I have an experience with some of the (mixing and production) techniques that can be heard on Exai.

One of the typical symptoms of headphone-mixing is a specific level and stereo imbalance that can be heard in various places over the album. L-Event is the same in this.

Also, headphone-mixing is crucial for having control over "buried" melodies and similar details that are also heavily used on the album and are very tricky to get right consciously on speakers.

I mean, of course, they could do all of that just by an accident and on speakers but I strongly believe they used headphones a lot on that album and ep. It is just my opinion, of course.

Edited by Jev

Guest WNS000

I prefer listening to music with headphones (I love details in a production) so I don't mind.

Yes, I have the same preference. I also love that headphones are dead and does not change the colour and dimensions of the space that producers crafted. I really hate when a room is colouring some of the Ae's most unreal and alienating tracks. For example Oversteps is one of my favourite albums on headphones while I don't really enjoy it on speakers (a good ones tho). A room is such a huge factor.

I never use headphones, so you're saying I am missing something?

The into of 1 1 is on headphones has a waaaay more pronounced effect on the ears. Like having your brain sucked out through the earphones

I haven't had this effect with speakers

You should try it out.

However, I do not take this as "evidence" that the album was mixed only on headphones.

I've listened to Exai a ton on speakers and headphones and I prefer headphones. Try it out at least!

Guest WNS000

The into of 1 1 is on headphones has a waaaay more pronounced effect on the ears. Like having your brain sucked out through the earphones

I haven't had this effect with speakers

You should try it out.

However, I do not take this as "evidence" that the album was mixed only on headphones.

Nobody said it was mixed on headphones only.

dude yes. a lot of music is at another level with nice headphones. i did some research and spent a hundred us dollars on k240s which i like a lot, but if you want to spend more there are much better ones.

from aaa thread:

1.Is autechre for headphones - yes or no?

1 yes absolutely, since the start.

Having bedroom studios forced us to do it all on cans a great majority of the time early on.

Late night manchester radio shows - listening had to be done covertly.

We also had quite a few Walkmans (yeah 80s er), journeys to school/college would be essential headphones time.

Later on we would 'idiot check' tracks' final mixes on cans during each DAT pass..

And still a lot of cans throughout the entire process - where necessary.

I think the question was asked to them in their AMA here but I don't recall the answer.

Anyways yeah I am pretty sure Ae music works way better on headphones than on speakers. So much of the detail and stereo imaging is lost using speakers.

So much of the detail and stereo imaging is lost using speakers.

stereo imaging isn't "lost using speakers" nor is it "gained" by use of headphones. conclusion is likely a result of distortion imposed by the listening environment, not necessarily an error within the source material.

Just amazing...the layering, the use of dry versus wet signals and track building on this one are sublime IMHO! The sound sculpting continuous!

interesting track. Can't say I love it but I really like it. IT sort of feels like the beat is driving all the melodies, almost like they dropped in the same rhythmic patterns to play the notes and also control some sort of glitching random octave/scale quantized synth patch

in some ways this sounds more like Pixelives initial Exai descriptions than anything off Exai, this is probably the most blatant Autechre doing something dubsteppy so far.

So much of the detail and stereo imaging is lost using speakers.

stereo imaging isn't "lost using speakers" nor is it "gained" by use of headphones. conclusion is likely a result of distortion imposed by the listening environment, not necessarily an error within the source material.

I might not be using the right terminology but the stereo aspect and the details about pan etc are much more pronounced on headphones. You can't even argue that point. Speakers might allow better bass quality overall but only if they are blasting super loud. Headphones will give you a clearer sound and you'll be able to distinguish specifics better.