IGNORED

The Caustic Window LP (CAT023) Kickstarter FAQ - LIVE NOW!

Joyrex

i stopped after i discovered the excess is not going to the charity. does anyone know who this person is that has the record?

and why bother shipping it to rephlex when in fact theres 3 more out there, they probably already have the audio ready and waiting!!!

so even from the ebay auction, reflex and richard get another share? i mean, this excess of $50k from kickstarter is not enough for them???

lunatics funding this excessive greed. the charity will get about $500-$1000 at this rate.

i'll wait for a torrent thanks : ) or just live without

How much do you think Richard (or any artist in this genre) gets on an LP release?

i stopped after i discovered the excess is not going to the charity. does anyone know who this person is that has the record?

and why bother shipping it to rephlex when in fact theres 3 more out there, they probably already have the audio ready and waiting!!!

so even from the ebay auction, reflex and richard get another share? i mean, this excess of $50k from kickstarter is not enough for them???

lunatics funding this excessive greed. the charity will get about $500-$1000 at this rate.

How much do you think Richard (or any artist in this genre) gets on an LP release?

More than 50k lol!

So wait, you'd be willing to risk MORE on "if it's shit", versus risking LESS? I bet you are really good with your finances.

well of course and thats a no brainer, i could sell it :biggrin: i can't sell the digital file.

$50,000 for one vinyl

No, he's not getting 50K for one vinyl - the money he's getting is for the distro rights we are buying, and probably far less than what he would typically make from a more traditional release (after the manufacturing, distribution and other associated costs are factored in).

No, he's not getting 50K for one vinyl - the money he's getting is for the distro rights we are buying, and probably far less than what he would typically make from a more traditional release (after the manufacturing, distribution and other associated costs are factored in).

nice twist but it's 50k from the sale of this 'one' vinyl, for which without this sale... you can fill in the rest.

looking for a share in the ebay auction 'as well', is it worth bringing charities in to it at all

"heres' the last slice of my pie, but wait can i have just one more slice of that last slice?" – big fat face.

hi richard

nice twist but it's 50k from the sale of this 'one' vinyl, for which without this sale... you can fill in the rest.

looking for a share in the ebay auction 'as well', is it worth bringing charities in to it at all

"heres' the last slice of my pie, but wait can i have just one more slice of that last slice?" – big fat face.

I think you are mischaracterizing Richard/Rephlex and his/their intent:

They had never planned on releasing this, and the seller (who is a friend, but is not affiliated with Richard/Rephlex) got permission from Rephlex to sell his copy on Discogs. Once I got involved and suggested the Kickstarter to raise the money the seller (not Rephlex) was asking for, Rephlex stepped in, asked the seller to lower their price, and between Grant and I figured out a reasonable price per person (and a realistic number of persons, having no idea how successful this whole thing would become) in order to ensure the Kickstarter met its goal, the seller got their reduced asking price, and the fans would get to hear the LP.

Rephlex/Richard never approached this as a money making venture - originally, the only cut of this Richard/Rephlex was going to get was 1/3 of the Ebay auction proceeds (a suggestion I made, since this is Richard's music, after all and should be paid for it) - when people were wringing their hands worrying if they were going to get in the Kickstarter before the original proposed 600 slots were taken up, I asked if it was OK for it to be unlimited so everyone who wanted one got a copy - again, with no idea how popular this was going to become (honestly, I thought we'd barely hit the Kickstarter goal after 30 days, LOL).

The fact it has exceeded everyone's expectations, and the fact that as of right now, Richard/Rephlex (or myself) has not made any statements about what will be done with the excess funds (other than the excess goes to Richard/Rephlex), does not mean the intent is to keep it - even if it is, why not? Again, I cite what Richard would have probably made in returns had he released this album (2-3000 copies) and the profit is probably far lower or at best in line with that. I see no reason Richard shouldn't be paid reasonably for his work, and that's not to say he won't turn around and do something unexpected (getting into Rephlex spokesperson territory so I'll leave it at that). It's unfair to assume (and call him/Rephlex "greedy") that just because this was successful they are not deserving of it.

It's your choice not to buy it, but to go and steal it after the fact as some way to "protest" the "greed" involved is just wrong and doesn't say much about where your attitude as a supposed fan of Richard's music is situated. If you really don't want to participate as a way of protesting, I suggest you just ignore the whole thing (as you suggested) and let others who genuinely appreciate this whole venture do so without your sour attitude.

Well the analords were like 15 bucks a pop and they ran 2500 of them I think. Accounting for printing and distribution or whatever he probably got less than 50k for each.

Well the analords were like 15 bucks a pop and they ran 2500 of them I think. Accounting for printing and distribution or whatever he probably got less than 50k for each.

And that's assuming all 2500 of each run were sold - I'd venture to guess there are unsold copies sitting at Rephlex HQ...

And that's assuming all 2500 of each run were sold - I'd venture to guess there are unsold copies sitting at Rephlex HQ...

What makes you say that?

Guest jasondonervan

I read that there were significantly more than 2500 lol

I seem to recall that when copies dried up, a few months passed and then a load of new copies suddenly started appearing on various online retailers. Must have either held some back, or pressed up more due to unexpected demand. I'm inclined to think the latter was the case.

I'm not certain on that number. Obviously, I think he could have sold more than that if he wanted. I just remember hearing 2500 somewhere. I also read somewhere they were rumored to be a gift to Grant. So, Aphex might not even have taken a cut of it.

Edited by AdieuErsatzEnnui

What makes you say that?

Almost any label has extra copies lying around... look at the Analord binder and the few who had issues - as a way of saying sorry, Rephlex included copies of Analogue Bubblebath 5 (!!) test pressings in with the binders - surely you don't think they had new test pressings made up (at their expense) just to say sorry, do you? If they have test pressings lying about, it stands to reason they've got extra stock of Analords and probably almost every Rephlex release in storage.

How many tracks were there on each of those releases again?

Analord EPs each had 4-7 tracks each, the common number being 4.

What makes you say that?

Almost any label has extra copies lying around... look at the Analord binder and the few who had issues - as a way of saying sorry, Rephlex included copies of Analogue Bubblebath 5 (!!) test pressings in with the binders - surely you don't think they had new test pressings made up (at their expense) just to say sorry, do you? If they have test pressings lying about, it stands to reason they've got extra stock of Analords and probably almost every Rephlex release in storage.

Oh, of course, that's common knowledge. I was mostly wanting to know how many copies you think they have lying around. Surely it can't be too many.

I can't be arsed reading back over most of this thread. Just posting to add to the thanks to you JR for your efforts here. Well excited to be finally able to hear this thing. Price is perfectly reasonable, and I don't give a shit about how much Rephlex et al get for it. Costing me a tenner or whatever and that's fine by me.

I'm not certain on that number. Obviously, I think he could have sold more than that if he wanted. I just remember hearing 2500 somewhere. I also read somewhere they were rumored to be a gift to Grant. So, Aphex might not even have taken a cut of it.

When I say significantly, I mean significantly. Joyrex already said he disagrees with my figure in another thread though, and quite frankly he is more likely to be right than me. I just read it in passing (not unlike you).

good thing we have the capitalist justice correction policing agency in here to determine if someone might be making too much money off of a transaction for a thing they made, that doesn't involve anyone else except up to 16$ (about the price of a digital album), except the person who owns the physical artifact itself. especially when the people complaining would probably gladly take 13G for the record if it was theirs.

maybe we should get rich to show us the past few years of his tax documents to figure out what would be OK for him to get from this?

lol basically, yeah. Don't understand the vitriol for someone making money for something they made, that is being sold on an open market. It makes absolutely no sense. People that want the old album can pay $16 if they want it. People that don't want it or think $16 is too expensive, don't have to buy it.

Just like any other item being sold anywhere in the world.

Edited by StephenG