IGNORED

The current state of Xltronic

scumtron

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how it's in Sweden (the admin is from Sweden as far as I know) but in Finland racist slurs could be considered as "incitement against a minority" which carries a sentence of up to 2 years in prison. Also in the case of internet forums the administrators are responsible for removing messages deemed offending by the court.

I don't know how it's in Sweden (the admin is from Sweden as far as I know) but in Finland racist slurs could be considered as "incitement against a minority" which carries a sentence of up to 2 years in prison. Also in the case of internet forums the administrators are responsible for removing messages deemed offending by the court.

a sure fire way to get that 'equality' right quick innit? through special treatment/status! makes total sense. not surprised a euro country would have laws like that either. how about comedians? can they say those naughty words? can people say them ironically, or in quotation marks? 'incitement against a minority'? that seriously sounds like a demented title for a crime. are there any rules about how long you can look at them without 'inciting them' too?

a sure fire way to get that 'equality' right quick innit? through special treatment/status! makes total sense. not surprised a euro country would have laws like that either. how about comedians? can they say those naughty words? can people say them ironically, or in quotation marks? 'incitement against a minority'? that seriously sounds like a demented title for a crime. are there any rules about how long you can look at them without 'inciting them' too?

For what I've seen it seems that it's mainly used by extreme right asshats to get the coveted martyr badge when they get sentenced. So in my opinion it's pretty counter-productive.

so you have more of a problem with a website being full of trolls, than you do with a government (which?) imprisoning people for saying some things (such as? and what post at xltronic do you think is justifiably prison-worthy?)?

what? yeah I fucking do - what you trying to say? it's ok to start threads called "Black People" then fill it with "NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER" and nothing else? that's what, funny to you? fuck off back to xltronic you total moron.

heh ok so you think someone should be put in prison for typing 'nigger', (which btw you just did, 3 times, so maybe you should go to prison for your criminal stupidity), and yet, you're going to call me a total moron? there's a difference between whether or not something is socially 'ok' and what you were talking about and seem to be supportive of or at least don't consider it a bad thing, which is gov prosecution for saying words that don't detail some kind of threat or criminal act about to take place. if you think it's ok to imprison people for shit they say, i guarantee you and probably just about anyone online has said something at some point that someone else was offended by or maybe even took as a threat. if you think there should be some kind of legislation to disallow forums from having 'offensive' material on them, then you are just an absolute and total fucking fascist asshole. it has nothing to do with whether its funny to me nor did i ever say it was. xltronic sucks but who fucking cares? why do you have to talk about imprisonment? are you mental? should i go to jail for taking a picture of myself pissing on the aphex logo? would that make you cry? do you think offensive books should be burned too?

2wv didn't use the word prison, he said "trouble."

while i see the importance of defending free speech, it seems to me that carrying general principles out in any circumstance is extremist and not practical.

if you were a black person in america in the early 1900s or some other of the many examples of a group being horrifically oppressed then perhaps you would see the grave and disturbing danger of hate speech.

and I was just discussing with my Finn friend yesterday how it would be awesome to live in Finland, this just reassures it.

For what I've seen it seems that it's mainly used by extreme right asshats to get the coveted martyr badge when they get sentenced. So in my opinion it's pretty counter-productive.

in india, some actually successful politicians seem to think that women should be hanged for being raped, and their rapists should go free. if that became the law over there, should we consider that also? or do we only post info about laws in caucasian-run, western countries for our consideration? which seems a bit weird since we're flirting with the idea of supporting fascism to protect non-caucasians. bit contradictory? maybe? in iran they can hang women for adultery. how productive does that sound?

my only real point here is why do i give a shit about finland's shitty laws? and if i'm supposed to give a shit about theirs, am i supposed to consider these other ones?

also im wondering if you have any real stats on that assertion that this law is only being used by 'extreme right asshats' (i'm just going to assume no)? but i dont even get what youre trying to say there? they use the law to martyr themselves? so they go out and cuss at minorities so they can cry about being prosecuted by it? i'm struggling to make any sense from that statement. but yeh basically i just don't think there should be a list of outlawed words, i don't think forums should be shut down for being offensive (who decides what's offensive?), and i don't think offensive books should be burned. but that's because im not a nazi, nor do i like the idea of people who can take all of my freedom and put me in a cell because i said something that just got put on their list.

as if i didn't mean it completely sarcastically, watmm was much more entertaining, interesting and community-like when the moderation was lighter. it's the people who matter, not moderation, bdb isn't filled with racism and gaping assholes and it's completely unmoderated.

It's also a very small community with hardly any influx of new member except novelty dupe accounts - If bdb ever got an actual following behind it rather than outcasts (sorry, there really isn't a better word for it) and friends of friends, I guarantee you somebody would come along and start trouble.

in india, some actually successful politicians seem to think that women should be hanged for being raped, and their rapists should go free. if that became the law over there, should we consider that also? or do we only post info about laws in caucasian-run, western countries for our consideration? which seems a bit weird since we're flirting with the idea of supporting fascism to protect non-caucasians. bit contradictory? maybe? in iran they can hang women for adultery. how productive does that sound?

my only real point here is why do i give a shit about finland's shitty laws? and if i'm supposed to give a shit about theirs, am i supposed to consider these other ones?

also im wondering if you have any real stats on that assertion that this law is only being used by 'extreme right asshats' (i'm just going to assume no)? but i dont even get what youre trying to say there? they use the law to martyr themselves? so they go out and cuss at minorities so they can cry about being prosecuted by it? i'm struggling to make any sense from that statement. but yeh basically i just don't think there should be a list of outlawed words, i don't think forums should be shut down for being offensive (who decides what's offensive?), and i don't think offensive books should be burned. but that's because im not a nazi, nor do i like the idea of people who can take all of my freedom and put me in a cell because i said something that just got put on their list.

There's a big difference between freedom of speech and speech designed to denigrate or spread hate towards another person/race/orientation.

while i see the importance of defending free speech, it seems to me that carrying general principles to out in any circumstance is extremist and not practical.

if you were a black person in america in the early 1900s or some other of the many examples of a group being horrifically oppressed then perhaps you would see the grave and disturbing danger of hate speech.

he also used the phrase "high profile prosecutions"

i'm not going to go any further on this because i would bet money that a lot of the people in this thread showing support for this kind of thing, enjoy comedians who use the exact type of language that youre acting like you think should be banned. and basically if the idea is to protect groups from being offended, the whole imaginary shield of 'but its comedy' doesn't apply. all that matters is if some (how many?) 'minorities' are 'offended' by it. so congrats, if you get your way, no more sam hyde, no more louis ck. and if that's the kind of world you asked for, you'd deserve it 100%. by what metric can you judge whether something is intentionally offensive, or should intent even matter? a law can't be written to cover this without some people falling through the cracks who had no ill-will towards anyone at all, and the whole idea that words or thoughts can and should be banned is just utterly insane and nightmarish.

So I checked out this website you guys are promoting itt. It's not very good.

I was just wondering what the legal status of xltronic administration was because it's run by a Swede and I was giving the Finnish law as a comparison because I don't know what the Swedish laws are. I'm assuming they are harsher, but what do I know? So there's no particular need for you to give a shit about Finnish laws as far as I know.

About the martyrdom.. The scenario I've seen a few times is as follows:

1. Extreme right wing asshat says intentionally something stupid that will get him prosecuted and sentenced.

2. Extreme right wing asshat screams "Ooh, ooh, I'm being repressed!"

3. Extreme right wing asshat gets loads of free publicity in press and claims he's the victim of government repression, liberal conspiracy or something similar.

Getting a sentence just brings more attention to what he's saying and sort legitimizes his claims that he is being pursued by the government, conspiracy, the big political parties or whatever. So it's counter-productive to sentence him in the first place. I wasn't defending the law. I was pointing a problem in it.

xlt is a fucking disgrace, and I would imagine some of the racist/homophobic/anti semitic threads could generate some real trouble for the site owner were they to come to the attention of certain authorities. shit like that doesn't fly anymore on a public forum - been made very clear with some recent high profile prosecutions for trolling and the like...they should be very careful. also, if I were aphex (and had my logo embedded on the site) I would be very unhappy to be associated with such a place... phobiazero needs to fucking take responsibility and either close the site or ban the members at the heart of the problems.

nk1syQT.jpg

It's typical to see even a thread on watmm about that place results in negativity. Deleted the site from my bookmarks after 10+ years last week or so, couldn´t stand it anymore. As Gocab said, some things are better left ignored.

while i see the importance of defending free speech, it seems to me that carrying general principles to out in any circumstance is extremist and not practical.

he also used the phrase "high profile prosecutions"

i'm not going to go any further on this because i would bet money that a lot of the people in this thread showing support for this kind of thing, enjoy comedians who use the exact type of language that youre acting like you think should be banned. and basically if the idea is to protect groups from being offended, the whole imaginary shield of 'but its comedy' doesn't apply. all that matters is if some (how many?) 'minorities' are 'offended' by it. so congrats, if you get your way, no more sam hyde, no more louis ck. and if that's the kind of world you asked for, you'd deserve it 100%. by what metric can you judge whether something is intentionally offensive, or should intent even matter? a law can't be written to cover this without some people falling through the cracks who had no ill-will towards anyone at all, and the whole idea that words or thoughts can and should be banned is just utterly insane and nightmarish.

yeah i don't know how to hash out the usage in comedy. it's tricky, but the circumstances, context, intent, meanings, all that stuff and more has to be considered, applying a blanket rule across the vast complexity of human history proves very problematic. comedians will tell you that there absolutely are wrong ways to use such words.

when eddy murphy was using "faggot" in his delirious special i thought it was a facepalm blight on an otherwise brilliant work, though i don't think his use of "nigger" was objectionable. the reasons for this distinction are difficult to codify. i think this is an interesting and important ambiguity to be investigated and discussed by people. doug stanhope's recurring use of "faggot" as a derogatory makes me dislike stanhope, even though i see that he has comedic skill, yet tracy morgan's controversial bit about how if his son were gay he would "stab the little nigga," i don't have a problem with.

if anyone thinks these laws are a good idea, that is even if they needed to be tweaked to prevent supposed 'right wing asshats' from supposedly 'intentionally getting arrested to cry about them' (which seems pretty ridiculous since the wiki on this states it's punishable by up to a 2 or even 4yr sentence so i'm really having to question your theory that anyone is bringing that down on themselves on purpose to protest this law), but basically you simply can't approve of a guy like sam hyde. if you think inciting minorities should be punishable by prison time then you should want him behind bars:

[youtubehd]Tt19Vp9uBiQ[/youtubehd]

because it seems to me that that totally falls under 'incitement of minorities'. it doesn't matter if the dude really hates gays or not (and how could we ever prove that?). he went to a crowd where he knew there would be people sympathetic towards gays, and then he lectured them with stats/facts (which he may or may not have made up out of thin air, but which still come across as researched), knowing exactly what kind of reaction it would get. and that was the entire point. to 'incite' a reaction. and the reaction he got is included at the end of that vid, and it's exactly what he knew was likely to happen, and his including it in the vid and slamming it in the description is kind of like a gloating over his mission accomplished. so this guy should go to jail for this? yet hes becoming a big time hero across certain parts of the internets and being called a genius by at least 1,000 as i type this.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Malwarebytes blocks access to it, haha. You guys might want to check your browsers for AIDS

I remember when xltronic was more like a messy, less navigable alternative to EKT and the featured artists subforums. Man things have changed a lot in 5+ years.

Archived