IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

Guest trananhhung

And about people complaining about the fact it doesn't have the fast skittering beats of drukqs, I always thought that those tracks didn't survive the test of time. This more laid back and less manic approach is preferable. It's all about composition, lovely synth work and groove. Changing drum sounds every 2 songs for the sake of it, to show this immense catalogue of soundbanks always appeared too gimmicky to me. Syro is about groove while still being restless in composition. Keeps me interested during the entire thing.

Got bored and turned it off. Dull. A few moments in there that half remind me a bit of Drukqs, in a really boring Logic Audio on a Mac kind of all sounds the same kind of way, but it is really poor other than this.

2/10. The time for Aphex Twin has gone.

You're so wrong. Now GTFO! :diablo:

edit: nice beard density Phudoshin

Is this a discussion forum? Or a forum only to copy/paste each other's compliments, maybe after randomizing some of the superlatives?

It's a forum to copy/paste other's compliments, which you just kinda just did by quoting me. Thanks bro!

And I'm all for discussion, but 2/10? come on the guy is taking the piss!

Edited by Ifeelspace

Am I an entitled dink for being bent out of shape with bleep for not releasing my digital pre-order despite the fact that the album a) leaked last week and b) some people are have their copies?

Bugs the hell out of me. There'd better be some nice goodies in my mailbox on Monday or I'm gonna put on my cranky pants. Bleep, you have been warned.

meh. I've been planning all week to do my first listening on a long walk tonight. If bleep continues cunting those across the pond, than I'll just torrent it in 0.0000006 seconds, whatever.

Seriously. It's almost offensive that they let me download the "pdf booklet" which might be a nice little art statement, but is completely unexciting when I just want to hear the album. Why am I a lesser fan for preordering from the US?

It's not like bleep is the most efficient organization, either. I got two separate emails telling me my order has shipped WITH TWO DIFFERENT DATES OF DISPATCH. Either Richard has finally warped time and space, or warp's little distribution outfit is a mess.

Am I an entitled dink for being bent out of shape with bleep for not releasing my digital pre-order despite the fact that the album a) leaked last week and b) some people are have their copies?

Bugs the hell out of me. There'd better be some nice goodies in my mailbox on Monday or I'm gonna put on my cranky pants. Bleep, you have been warned.

meh. I've been planning all week to do my first listening on a long walk tonight. If bleep continues cunting those across the pond, than I'll just torrent it in 0.0000006 seconds, whatever.

Seriously. It's almost offensive that they let me download the "pdf booklet" which might be a nice little art statement, but is completely unexciting when I just want to hear the album. Why am I a lesser fan for preordering from the US?

It's not like bleep is the most efficient organization, either. I got two separate emails telling me my order has shipped WITH TWO DIFFERENT DATES OF DISPATCH. Either Richard has finally warped time and space, or warp's little distribution outfit is a mess.

Admittedly, I'm not very demanding with these things.

My personal take is: (1) bleep offers big catalog of things I like (including things I can't find through other big digital distribution services), so I am happy to support them, and (2) I wasn't expecting this until the 22nd or whatever anyway. If I really want it, I can torrent/youtube/whatever it.

I'm avoiding obsessing too much over when I get it since I want to listen with clean ears, not foaming mouth ...

I've been listening to Syro with these:

https://bleep.com/merch/619-nocs-n700-phaser-headphones

Am I commiting a deadly sin? It's the only stuff I have here in London. Left all my proper hardware back at home. And I can't use speakers because of housemates and neighbours.

Syro requires the limited edition vinyl and a pair of sennheiser HD800s. you are a jerk.

https://itunes.apple.com/jp/album/syro/id911622133 Not sure if anyone else spotted it, but you can hear a preview of the japanese bonus track here (Doesn't work on the webpage for me, but works fine in itunes itself.)

direct link

http://a1821.phobos.apple.com/us/r30/Music3/v4/a6/60/5f/a6605f61-cb17-0c47-a58e-0d4cd0069865/mzaf_3861112189213440526.plus.aac.p.m4a

seems it's only 0:30 in-browser, guess it's 1:30 in itunes

Anyone know of a way to get this track? I ordered my vinyl way back so im already supporting Richard, just wish he included this track on the Vinyl release as well, first 30 seconds sounds amazing IMO.

Just drove 20 miles to the nearest record shop (HMV in Canterbury) in the vain hope they would be selling it a day early. They weren't. Guess I'll have to wait for my shitty Amazon pre-order to arrive.

Initial thoughts after a few listens.

Eargasms:-
Minipops (whole track)
XMAS_EVE10 - Dat INTRO! Plus 2mins 40 with the background vocals. Also synths around the 7min 30 mark. Feel that this track is a bit overlong and meandering, but some lush ideas along the way
produk29 - Love the drums and floaty little synth melody from the beginning of the track (bit BOCish imo). 3mins 10 plus, the melody is delicious. When the drums are brought back in. yum
4 bit 9d api+e+6 - Drumwork has a Windowlicker feel. Solid track, nothing too crazy happens, but great production.
CIRCLONT6A[syrobonkus mix] - Crazy little intro, funky dirty melody. Reminds me of playing old arcade games.
CIRCLONT14[shrymoming mix] - Haunting alien melody to start which devolves to some crazy beatwork. Loving the vocal effects around 3 min 20.
syro u473t8+e [14198][piezoluminescence mix] - Incredible track. Sounds like it could have been on Ufabulum imo (but better than anything off there natch)
s950tx16wasr10 [16397][earth portal mix] - Retro junglist vibes with a modern twist innit. Dig it

Snoregasms:-
180db - This actually worked really well at the listening party. At home on the headphones, I find it a tad boring and a little derivative. Works better in party atmosphere.
fz pseudotimestretch+e+3 - I quite like the last half. It's just a little too short and feels like filler
PAPAT4[pineal mix] - The cheesey pads ruin this track for me. Like the drum work, just cam't get past those pads.
aisatsana - It's no Avril 14. A 'nice' track, but just a bit dull for my ears.

Overall: Quite good

Guest trananhhung

I've been listening to Syro with these:

https://bleep.com/merch/619-nocs-n700-phaser-headphones

Am I commiting a deadly sin? It's the only stuff I have here in London. Left all my proper hardware back at home. And I can't use speakers because of housemates and neighbours.

Syro requires the limited edition vinyl and a pair of sennheiser HD800s. you are a jerk.

:emb:

Guest trananhhung

I like that review, Ifeelspace. Very honest, streamlined and to the point. Congrats. And yes, 180db sounded amazing in the listening party. I think these are perfect dance floor tracks. They're extrovert. Which is funny, coming from Richie.

Edited by trananhhung

So a few days ago my local record store announced that they would be holding a Syro listening party today, a few days before the official release in the US.

Today, they posted this on their Facebook page.

oSTG5d2.jpg

:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

Edited by yshf

Guest trananhhung

I don't get why such a nice track isn't part of the western edition. It totally fits the album. Oh well. Still waiting for a way to get it legally, without having to import the Japanese edition.