IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

Probably one of the best Japan-only bonus tracks I've ever heard.

http://youtu.be/SiVmqDB8I2U

Enjoy.

I'm not going to listen as I haven't heard the rest of the album yet but how the hell did you get this already? I haven't even had a dispatch email from Amazon jp yet

Guest jasondonervan

Enjoy.

I'm not going to listen as I haven't heard the rest of the album yet but how the hell did you get this already? I haven't even had a dispatch email from Amazon jp yet

I'm jasondonervan. :emotawesomepm9:

who also happens to have a Japanese iTunes account, where I bought the track as a crappy 256 kbps .m4a to tide me over until I can FLAC the CD version

Enjoy.

who also happens to have a Japanese iTunes account, where I bought the track as a crappy 256 kbps .m4a to tide me over until I can FLAC the CD version

lol. and that's all we need to know. I am addicted to this song today. Can't wait to somehow get the real deal.

Guest jasondonervan

In the interests of full disclosure, I should state that I do see a cut of Syro for my efforts. Look closely on the Japanese sleeve, it was right there all along.

ibafiiBRz5GvVS.jpg

Enjoy.

You are on it like a car bonnet

In the interests of full disclosure, I should state that I do see a cut of Syro for my efforts. Look closely on the Japanese sleeve, it was right there all along.

ibafiiBRz5GvVS.jpg

Lel. Actually though, you've probably sold a few more copies of the Japan cd with that upload Edited by BUNKUM

I don't know, maybe he is trying something that I just don't understand. But I don't think it is the case...most tracks haven't done anything to me. How can it be if some of them were made at the same time as Rushup edge and analords were released and which I love? I do like some moments, the Metz track is definitely amazing but it overall it sounds wrong and by-the-book. Some melodies make me cringe, some parts go along unnecessarily, I think there are some mistakes he wouldn't do before...and I cant remember any mind-blowing moment. The track order doesn't make any sense, some tracks shouldn't be in there. On druqks the order was weird but it actually made sense.

Edited by Allize

I don't like the album :( sounds generic, like aphex trying to emulate his own sound. Most tracks are forgetful.

Take your time, maybe 20 other listening sessions will open you up to the charms of this album. Many other long-time Aphex fans love it.

So far, I don't like the album either.

To be honest, it sounds like richard noodling around with his hardware, no more no less. The tracks sound sloppy and disorganized. Contrast this with the sort of clarity he gets in, say, analord, SAW, and melodies from mars tracks. You may say that's a different style, but even on drukqs (e.g., vordhosbn), he has initially complicated tracks which are based on some clean principle (there are very few distinct thematic elements in vordhosbn, which then get layered and organized beautifully).

Also, I'm missing out on any big structure in the tracks. They just feel like pointless meandering. This is especially painful since so many glorious aphex tracks have a point that takes time to reveal (the journey remix, bwoon dub,acrid avid jam shred, etc).

Arguably I should listen more to find more structure. hopefully I'm wrong, and will see after more listens. But for the time being, my feelings on the release make me so sad about it that it's painful to put it on. I'm currently listening to other aphex which is just a world of difference....

sound quality of this album is fucking amazing. 24 bit waves, 2 krk 8's and a krk 10s sub. oh my analord :w00t::biggrin::music:

To be honest, it sounds like richard noodling around with his hardware, no more no less. The tracks sound sloppy and disorganized. Contrast this with the sort of clarity he gets in, say, analord, SAW, and melodies from mars tracks. You may say that's a different style, but even on drukqs (e.g., vordhosbn), he has initially complicated tracks which are based on some clean principle (there are very few distinct thematic elements in vordhosbn, which then get layered and organized beautifully).

Also, I'm missing out on any big structure in the tracks. They just feel like pointless meandering. This is especially painful since so many glorious aphex tracks have a point that takes time to reveal (the journey remix, bwoon dub,acrid avid jam shred, etc).

Arguably I should listen more to find more structure. hopefully I'm wrong, and will see after more listens. But for the time being, my feelings on the release make me so sad about it that it's painful to put it on. I'm currently listening to other aphex which is just a world of difference....

well hopefully you'll figure it out. Feel sorry for you if you don't

I don't like the album :( sounds generic, like aphex trying to emulate his own sound. Most tracks are forgetful.

Take your time, maybe 20 other listening sessions will open you up to the charms of this album. Many other long-time Aphex fans love it.

I know, I always did that. Some of it only got me after more than 20 listens. The difference is that usually did it because the track sounded weird or fast or too complex, this time it just bores me.

Pretty much the same feeling I had with iradelphic.

1st listen is meh for me.

we'll see if I change opinion later.

Most tracks are forgetful.

A few moments in there that half remind me a bit of Drukqs .... kind of all sounds the same kind of way

Overall: Quite good

... Arguably I should listen more to find more structure. hopefully I'm wrong, and will see after more listens. But for the time being, my feelings on the release make me so sad about it that it's painful to put it on.

I feel terrible for also falling into this camp on first listen. That definitely aint right for an Aphex release ... not being a fan of the Analord series and thinking The Tuss stuff was 'alright' probably doesn't help matters.

Guest jasondonervan

I feel terrible for also falling into this camp on first listen. That definitely aint right for an Aphex release ... not being a fan of the Analord series and thinking The Tuss stuff was 'alright' probably doesn't help matters.

Up the ladder pete, there's a good lad

Wicker-Man3.jpg

Oh, God! Oh, Jesus Christ! Bung the Japanese bonus track on it, lose 180 db, replace some of the more Tussy tracks with mental gubbins like 'AFX - Mangle 11' (or a few more 'aisatsana' type minimal thingies) and I'd probably be more into it ...

Guest HokusPoker

I can sign pretty much everything Allize said.

And @mcbpete: I love Analord and The Tuss. Still this album does not (yet) work for me, so it's not just that.

I will continue to try to 'get' it, but with an Aphex Twin album, this shouldn't be work :cry:

That bonus track is fun and I've listened to it quite a few times now, but still I don't think it's a good track. The main melody is rather uninspired, I think.

Guest jasondonervan

I like the brainmelting Aphex.

what you talkin' 'bout, pete?

gary-coleman-as-arnold-diffrent-strokes-

Hey, ya likes what ya likes, no point trying to force it. Perhaps if we strike it lucky with more Aphex in the short term (ie the rumours are true), you may be rewarded with something a little more to your taste :flower:

Edited by jasondonervan

One good thing to come out of it: I was actually oddly afraid I was gonna love it and get picked for the draw of the super expensive edition, and the idiot that I am would've bought it despite the fact I have absolutely no money. Me thinking it's 'not bad' (not terrible by any stretch of the imagination) has certainly made the decision much easier