IGNORED

drinking scotch like a man

A Reggae Lee Bowyer

wtf is up with scotch and coke?????/?? are u guys for real? no scotch cocktails - ever!

bourbon and rye however. goddamn - a top shelf manhattan is maybe the best drink of all time. two, you're on cloud nine. three -- mistakes were made.

I usually do scotch and a touch of club soda/soda water if I don't want the full burn

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scotch has been about the only liquor I've drank for the past 15 years. Always neat. I've got whiskey stones to keep it cold without watering it down. My personal favorite is a liquid smoke single malt called "Lagavulin." It's delish. Try it out.

Edit: it's my personal favorite that stays in my price range. lol

I can't drink scotch or whisky unfortunately, seems I'm allergic... I can't keep it down, even in tiny amounts. Friend/co-worker once gave me like a thimble-full while we were working at a liquor store, top shelf stuff, even from that within a couple minutes I was heaving over the toilet. Have no problems with other types of liquor, beer, wine,rum, vodka, tequila that all goes down fine scotch and whisky are the only ones that give me trouble, not sure what it is about it either.

Are you allergic to any of these things? including barley, corn (maize), rye, and wheat.

Not that I've ever been aware of, it could be the rye though...

It could also be that you are allergic to the wood the stuff is aged in. Do you have allergies at all? Lots of people are allergic to different types of trees. Supposedly most whiskey is aged in white oak barrels.

I prefer Irish, Canadian, and American (bourbon/rye) ahead of scotch, not being too keen on the smoky peat character of the latter. Call me a cheap philistine, but I normally opt for "drinkin' whiskey" more so for the boozing than titillation of the palate, which usually means a half-decent blend (preferably Powers or Tullamore) with a splash of coke or ginger ale.

wtf is up with scotch and coke?????/?? are u guys for real? no scotch cocktails - ever!

bourbon and rye however. goddamn - a top shelf manhattan is maybe the best drink of all time. two, you're on cloud nine. three -- mistakes were made.

<3 <3 <3 manhattans too, though have you ever heard of a Rob Roy? Rye is definitely the hip choice of the moment, though Irish works great too and is worth a try. Interestingly, my parents in their orthodoxy will only use Canadian in their manhattans, and anything else is sacrilege. Vive le difference I say.

ps love the retro av

I did it for u bobby-- took me ages to find and only something that small. :L

Rob Roy-- never had one, the thought of a scotch cocktail seems odd to me-- suppose I

Might have to experiment!

you need to stop being timid and start knocking them back before it's too late.

when you open a bottle, you do not leave the table until it is empty. talk of serious things while you drink, like architecture and marxism, chopin's etudes and when, as a child, you watched a girl fall through the ice and did nothing

when you open a bottle, you do not leave the table until it is empty. talk of serious things while you drink, like architecture and marxism, chopin's etudes and when, as a child, you watched a girl fall through the ice and did nothing

Haha I like this.

crikey, lagavulin is expensive!

was going to try a small bottle but i dont think tescos does it.. only shop close by

If your budget is small.. then try the entry-level Bowmore. Or if it's still expensive, perhaps McClelland's Islay. edit : I see you bought what I guess is the Quarter-Cask from Laphroaig. Enjoy it, do they still give you the "Friends of Laphroaig" thingy? Do it! You never know when you'll go to Scotland, it was really fun finding the lot that they gave you.

Note that Lagavulin is the Champagne of Scotch. They do not all taste the same, you do not attack an Islay the same way you'll do with a Speyside or a Lowlands.

crikey, lagavulin is expensive!

was going to try a small bottle but i dont think tescos does it.. only shop close by

I see you bought what I guess is the Quarter-Cask from Laphroaig.

no, i like the 10-year :] £29/bottle i can afford, but not £50+ (they didnt even have it in tescos)

im going to try it (lagavulin) with a friend so we can split the cost

Haha I like this.

Yeah I'm on board with this.

Gonna go scotch shoppin'

Guest burnibus

Im down with this thread good whiskey talk and advice.

for those looking to try something light and smooth and a bit sweet there's loads of nice entry level bottles. Cardhu is worth a try very very smooth, as is Auchentoshan - this is really crisp and clean and again smooth.

for the peat heads give bunnahubain (spelling sorry) a go its rich and dark and woody and packs a complex punch. All 3 above should be below 35 quid.

you can often get old pulteny 12 yr reduced to 25 quid and thats a peach, ace seaside sweet and floral vibes.

@platrix I tried some bowmore 14 yr old sherry cask the othet week and it was my favourite ever. Such beautiful earthy velvety woody smoothness. I want it all.

as for the cheap blends, the black grouse is a very drinkable peated blend and only 17 quid most places. I always like a jamesons as well as its simpke and an easy session whiskey.

• 7 months later...

I recently started to like whiskey. A friend of mine recommended this one, I like it and it's not that expensive either (around 18-25 euros)

whisky.jpg?itok=nrX3YoMn

have assorted bourbons & Merkin regional whiskey/spirits lined up to share this weekend (whiskey exchange rocks btw)

usa_was2.jpg

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-11976.aspx

brbon_mel1.jpg

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-1175.aspx

brbon_geo1.jpg

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-1086.aspx

JW Green label, aka the one good Johnny Walker, appears to be back in (limited?) production. Was kind of a standard everyday scotch for me a few years back, but it's about $10 more expensive now and that throws it into the price range of some foine single malts. I dunno, had a friend pick one up for me, maybe just for the sake of nostalgia.

Had a bottle of Caol Ila 12 a while back, a bit underwhelming for the price. Should have just grabbed the Ardbeg Uigeadail next to it in the store.

Archived