IGNORED

Aphex Twin: Part 2 of SYROBONKERS! is now available

Guest tonfarben

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest s0nspark

I got a copy of the interviews from the Wayback Machine but the SoundCloud tracks are, of course, MIA... would someone who grabbed them be willing to share?

Guest s0nspark

Thanks very much for the download links. I've just started reading the interview and together with some of the stuff he talked about in part 1, he's starting to sound more and more like he's disappeared up his own ass:

"When you make music, or orchestrate natural phenomena you are putting together something that you know or should know is going to rearrange you and change you in a more defined way than if you just went to another country you never went to before, then when you create it and experience it you become what you wanted to be and it feeds back to what you want to become again, its the lushest spiral of creativity and it can be taken much further than music is currently doing [i personally STILL feel like I'm just warming up!], I think with sound alone, you can potentially rearrange all matter and change the way you and others think, if its sequenced correctly.

pretty much everyting is vibration.
But you have to be open to it. if you think thats bullshit then you have a lot to learn".
I particularly got annoyed with the last line as I know a lot of similar people who are into alternate ways of thinking and alternative medecines/therapies/holistic areas in general and there last line of defence against anyone who disagrees with them or challenges them is to say that they're closed-minded or need to wake up etc. Of course, this could all be bullshit from Richard himself but along with his view about conspiracies and the like, it just seems ridiculous.
Having said that, I still love his music and look forward to anything he may put out in future. I love reading about his techniques (although I don't understand most of it) and seeing what equipment he uses, I could just do without all the other stuff he talks about, if it is true and he really believes all that.

Went through all the "tracks" or whatever its called ;

My 3 faves :

avril altdelay

fenix funk [early mix]

Rhubarb (Orchestrated)

It for free. Not a bad word from me but the rest ; i will never listen to again.

the "tracks" were okey but...i just dont understand people who said it was better then syro....really? check your brain! i probably will listen it again 2-3 times max... several years later.

The bedspread under those socks annoys me. Like a somewhat hippy summer dress. Maybe it is a summer dress, in which case, you're forgiven.

Also yes those pieces were presented as an adjunct to the content of the article, it's not like they're supposed to be tracks, so why would you be disappointed by them. I think it's interesting that he seems to write out an whole track, then adds to it with every subsequent pass (synthacon1 eventually begets the monster, synthacon9 for example), rather than progressively generating it in somewhat complete chunks. Maybe this isn't the case, i dunno, still haven't gotten round to properly reading the article, haha.

Thanks very much for the download links. I've just started reading the interview and together with some of the stuff he talked about in part 1, he's starting to sound more and more like he's disappeared up his own ass:

"When you make music, or orchestrate natural phenomena you are putting together something that you know or should know is going to rearrange you and change you in a more defined way than if you just went to another country you never went to before, then when you create it and experience it you become what you wanted to be and it feeds back to what you want to become again, its the lushest spiral of creativity and it can be taken much further than music is currently doing [i personally STILL feel like I'm just warming up!], I think with sound alone, you can potentially rearrange all matter and change the way you and others think, if its sequenced correctly.

But you have to be open to it. if you think thats bullshit then you have a lot to learn".
I particularly got annoyed with the last line as I know a lot of similar people who are into alternate ways of thinking and alternative medecines/therapies/holistic areas in general and there last line of defence against anyone who disagrees with them or challenges them is to say that they're closed-minded or need to wake up etc. Of course, this could all be bullshit from Richard himself but along with his view about conspiracies and the like, it just seems ridiculous.
Having said that, I still love his music and look forward to anything he may put out in future. I love reading about his techniques (although I don't understand most of it) and seeing what equipment he uses, I could just do without all the other stuff he talks about, if it is true and he really believes all that.

don't know why you're equating what he said there with alternative medicine or holistic things in general. he's just talking about how powerful music can be. and it can be. he's trying to encourage musicians to aspire to new potentials of music, rather than languishing in trite mediocrity. i guess it made you think of some hokey friends you have because it deals with the mind and isn't psychobabble.

look at how differently you and i perceived the same paragraph. the mind is important.

regarding other things he mentions, i think sometimes he trolls.

nqz5baby is fucking awesome. I wish RDJ would release like a vinyl boxset of all of this shit + more because I know he's probably got tons. Can't wait for more experimental aphex stuff, so much better sound design than almost any modular tinkerer who thinks they have swagger. It's pretty astounding how many people are producing music on modulars that's really uninteresting or not unique sounding.

the only one that sounds like RDJ just fucking around and not getting deep of the modular stuff is the Buchla 200e XY Marf track. Anybody who's used a starter buchla 200e system will immediately recognize the setup he's using

nqz5baby is fucking awesome. I wish RDJ would release like a vinyl boxset of all of this shit + more because I know he's probably got tons. Can't wait for more experimental aphex stuff, so much better sound design than almost any modular tinkerer who thinks they have swagger. It's pretty astounding how many people are producing music on modulars that's really uninteresting or not unique sounding.

the only one that sounds like RDJ just fucking around and not getting deep of the modular stuff is the Buchla 200e XY Marf track. Anybody who's used a starter buchla 200e system will immediately recognize the setup he's using

These are not tracks. They are nothing more than synth workouts. Why would you want an boxset of this? Don't confuse this with hate, I think they sound great.

he makes tracks like i always thought he did. instead of stitching it all together in a DAW like i was lead to believe by many people, but i knew he was too much of a purist for sound quality. maybe he did it that way in the past.

so, like. the modular tracks are a pisstake, right? it sounds like just really random noodling. never played with buchlas, but know my way around doepfer and the afx things sound just weirdly.. plain and pointless?

sometimes richard sounds like a guy who's not really all that much of an syths expert people make him out to be, he just buys lots of expensive gear.

there's no denying that he makes some of the best music ever. but. it's just that ever since analords people act like he's some omnipotent synth god. and yet all he can really say about his gear is whenever it's wicked or not. and his modular expriments sound like shit.

dunno.

:catcry:

Guest capitan mission

yep, some of his sayings sound very un-scientific, dunno, i want to stay open,but not at any cost. one dont need to put all in the same bag.I totaly think that if you believe 9/11 official story you are stupid, and that "media reality affairs" are not the real thing under the curtains of power. But others things sound like new age shit*

anyway, the tracks are super interesting, some of them are much more interesting than some on syro. and love circlont version, one of my favs from syro.

I honestly think it's crazy the way people are freaking out over noodling sound experiments. it's cool to hear some thought processes and all and there is a decent track or two in there but for the most part, it's a lol.

I honestly think it's crazy the way people are freaking out over noodling sound experiments. it's cool to hear some thought processes and all and there is a decent track or two in there but for the most part, it's a lol.

well when you're into making sounds you hear some crazy stuff going on there, which sounds extremely rich (I'm using the adjective there). But I don't think those kind of recordings should be released other than for free on internet, I mean I guess it doesn't interest that many people to listen to that in their living room, except some of the knob twiddlers heads among us. It's obvious that those sounds are an incredible basis for making tracks though. In some places it sounds so mental that it wouldn't need a lot more to make proper tracks, just more build up and a couple of other sound sources maybe but it's already so strong on its own.

sometimes richard sounds like a guy who's not really all that much of an syths expert people make him out to be, he just buys lots of expensive gear.

hm, in fact i have the impression that he knows a lot about the gear he uses. bc he experiments a lot with it + finds out what's possible outside the trodden paths. + you can't deny he's quite a virtuoso when it comes to the craft, both technically + musically. so why wouldn't he be an expert? he certainly knows a fuckton more than any of the guys i've met in music stores...

and i totally agree with antape about the modular noodles - they are great starting points but not so very interesting by themselves. the same goes for the earlier versions of tracks he posted - just compare the synthacon versions!!

so yeah, there's a reason he released these the way he did.

great interview! loved all the tech talk and the tracks/noodles were a great way of seeing into some of his processes... i dont think they are intended as standalone works of 'art' merely examples of the things he was talking about, 'so i was was working with x,y,z and it did this... e.g, no0dle.wav'

didnt einstein say 'everything is energy'? quantumn physics research seems to be saying the same, everything is energy, everything vibrates

there is no such thing as matter, its all an illusion in the consciousness of us monkey people

rule the reads, take shroomz, take control of yer drom machine

didnt einstein say 'everything is energy'? quantumn physics research seems to be saying the same, everything is energy, everything vibrates

there is no such thing as matter, its all an illusion in the consciousness of us monkey people

The bedspread under those socks annoys me. Like a somewhat hippy summer dress. Maybe it is a summer dress, in which case, you're forgiven.

Also yes those pieces were presented as an adjunct to the content of the article, it's not like they're supposed to be tracks, so why would you be disappointed by them. I think it's interesting that he seems to write out an whole track, then adds to it with every subsequent pass (synthacon1 eventually begets the monster, synthacon9 for example), rather than progressively generating it in somewhat complete chunks. Maybe this isn't the case, i dunno, still haven't gotten round to properly reading the article, haha.

i love tracks!^^ specially old versions and unreleased spectrum etc. what a blessing. i was talking about modular tracks, that i also enjoy, but just dont get how they could be better than syro. maybe im not into modulars and cant appreciate it. sory for confuse

that breadspread started to annoy me too for some reason

im sure he knows his synths. he is possesed total synth nerd with lots of cash and free time

Archived