IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

There's a well-known artist in the UK called Grayson Perry. He did a great doc series which went out last year investigating political attitudes in the USA. It was really good viewing. Whack on your VPN and give it a watch.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/grayson-perrys-big-american-road-trip

My thoughts on America: it's diverse, it's multi-cultural as well as multi-ethnic, but there's a lot more than unites you all than divides you. As insiders, you don't recognise how culturally similar you are in comparison to the global population in general. One of the biggest issues facing America , in my view, is the stark separation of races, primarily in the cities. This map is awesome and shocking.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Thu Zaw said:

@ignatius, which is the funny bit?

i miss clicked. meant to be a heart. i looked at it and thought "who thinks this is funny?" then realized it was me. doh. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Thu Zaw said:

There's a well-known artist in the UK called Grayson Perry. He did a great doc series which went out last year investigating political attitudes in the USA. It was really good viewing. Whack on your VPN and give it a watch.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/grayson-perrys-big-american-road-trip

My thoughts on America: it's diverse, it's multi-cultural as well as multi-ethnic, but there's a lot more than unites you all than divides you. As insiders, you don't recognise how culturally similar you are in comparison to the global population in general. One of the biggest issues facing America , in my view, is the stark separation of races, primarily in the cities. This map is awesome and shocking.

Good to hear. You have a much needed positive attitude in general, my man

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ignatius said:

OnVPcuV.png

i hope they have room for all that gas next to all their toilet paper

What you can't see is the second Expedition where all the toilet paper is after their weekly grocery trip.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, ignatius said:

OnVPcuV.png

i hope they have room for all that gas next to all their toilet paper

if they don't, they can always use plastic bags

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 1
  • Big Brain 2

1 hour ago, cyanobacteria said:

millions of muslims died to give america access to that oil.  death to amerikkka

"Won't someone please think of the poor, exploited Muslims in the Middle East?!"

Ask yourself, bro, who's really being exploited? More like American consumers and migrant workers.

LYNXMPED65176_L.jpg

2a5e9dcd70db53b66a042f5acad2fed7.jpg

arabic-businessmen-dubai-260nw-1022412229.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

abudhabiskyline.jpg

f868443201b1370e5faa91e332e47ef8-al-corniche.jpg

ruhsi-exterior-6193-hor-clsc_O.jpg

Edited by Thu Zaw
  • Burger 2

10 minutes ago, Thu Zaw said:

"Won't someone please think of the poor, exploited Muslims in the Middle East?!"

Ask yourself, bro, who's really being exploited? More like American consumers and migrant workers.

LYNXMPED65176_L.jpg

2a5e9dcd70db53b66a042f5acad2fed7.jpg

arabic-businessmen-dubai-260nw-1022412229.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

abudhabiskyline.jpg

f868443201b1370e5faa91e332e47ef8-al-corniche.jpg

ruhsi-exterior-6193-hor-clsc_O.jpg

am i really reading this?  did you just write that muslims are not being treated horribly by the US military in the middle east, and the real victims in the region are america consumers in dubai or wherever this is, and migrant workers?

migrant workers, completely agreed. american consumers, not so much.  your dismissal of the plight of muslims in the middle east is truly disgusting.  its of course not just muslims being harmed by western imperialism and CIA funded terrorist groups, but your selection for the other groups being harmed is pretty suspect.  i oppose saudi arabia as much as anyone and am not happy with their migrant "workers" (slaves) situations

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cyanobacteria said:

am i really reading this?  did you just write that muslims are not being treated horribly by the US military in the middle east, and the real victims in the region are america consumers in dubai or wherever this is, and migrant workers?

migrant workers, completely agreed. american consumers, not so much.  your dismissal of the plight of muslims in the middle east is truly disgusting.  its of course not just muslims being harmed by western imperialism and CIA funded terrorist groups, but your selection for the other groups being harmed is pretty suspect.  i oppose saudi arabia as much as anyone and am not happy with their migrant "workers" (slaves) situations

You have so so little understanding of the world dude. Please stop trying to pretend you know anything about international affairs or politics. You show yourself to be more ignorant with each new post. 

4 minutes ago, Thu Zaw said:

You have so so little understanding of the world dude. Please stop trying to pretend you know anything about international affairs or politics. You show yourself to be more ignorant with each new post. 

>"Won't someone please think of the poor, exploited Muslims in the Middle East?!"

explain this post then.  wow, oil capitalist muslims have exotic pets, US atrocities in the region nullified /s

Edited by cyanobacteria

You do know that as well as there being poor Muslims living in wartorn countries, there are also rich Muslims living in non war torn countries?

You conflate one instance of something you know about a race or religion and apply that narrative to all people of said race or religion.

Do you have any idea how large an area the middle East is? How many countries there are? How diverse their cultures and histories are?

Without looking at a map, can you name 5 Middle Eastern countries? I don't need you to respond to me; I just need you to ask yourself that question. 

You're an essentialist, dude. You believe peoples are monolithic groups, based upon arbitrary characteristics.

You make huge generalisations about hugely nuanced and complicated issues, exposing your willful ignorance about pretty much everything.

This is not a compassionate stance. It's more prejudiced than anything else. 

I'm not in a patient mood today. You're a dumbass.

• Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, Thu Zaw said:

You do know that as well as there being poor Muslims living in wartorn countries, there are also rich Muslims living in non war torn countries?

You conflate one instance of something you know about a race or religion and apply that narrative to all people of said race or religion.

Do you have any idea how large an area the middle East is? How many countries there are? How diverse their cultures and histories are?

Without looking at a map, can you name 5 Middle Eastern countries? I don't need you to respond to me; I just need you to ask yourself that question. 

You're an essentialist, dude. You believe peoples are monolithic groups, based upon arbitrary characteristics.

You make huge generalisations about hugely nuanced and complicated issues, exposing your willful ignorance about pretty much everything.

This is not a compassionate stance. It's more prejudiced than anything else. 

I'm not in a patient mood today. You're a dumbass.

>millions of muslims died to give america access to that oil.  death to amerikkka

that's my quote.  where did i make any claims on the wealth of muslims in the middle east? where did i make any claims about instances of people of a race or religion? where did i make any claims on the amount of land mass the middle east occupies? where did i make any claims on the homogeneity of cultures or histories in the middle east? what makes you think anyone cant perform such a simple task?

basically youre reading a whole lot of made up shit into one sentence which contained nothing about that, then going on to write even more paragraphs about how youre extrapolating your made up ideas to be descriptions of me.  in summary, you're clearly the dumbass here lmfao

very interesting how mad you get that i express simple condolences to those murdered by the US and you make a sarcastic statement ""Won't someone please think of the poor, exploited Muslims in the Middle East?!".  yeah, they should be thought about. you are really gross probably racist

43 minutes ago, Thu Zaw said:

...shows stock photos of UAE sheiks as an argument lmao

• Like 2

.. Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, Saudi...

You're a typical American, in that you place America at the centre of your world. You believe America is the most powerful, capitalist, exploitive country on the planet. You have digested American propaganda that "America is no.1" and "The greatest country on earth".

If you're going to be so fiercely anti-capitalist, you need to direct that anger at all capitalist exploitation, whether they be white Western, or Islamic, or Jewish, or African or Asian.

You conflate life of a person living in Aleppo with another in Riyadh 2000km away. You conflate capitalism with the West. You infantalise non-white Western people, insisting that they are all noble, oppressed, helpless peoples, at the mercy of American imperialists. 

Let this video be a starting point to having a more informed idea about the realities of other places and the lives of others. 

You can threaten me with accusations of racism as much as you like. It doesn't affect me because I know I'm far more compassionate, informed, well-travelled, and culturally-sensitive than you will likely ever be. 

Edited by Thu Zaw
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 3

4 hours ago, cyanobacteria said:

millions of muslims died to give america access to that oil.  death to amerikkka

Ah yes, all the muslims that are being bombed and murdered for oil in....Canada?

• Haha 2