IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

3 hours ago, Thu Zaw said:

.. Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, Saudi...

You're a typical American, in that you place America at the centre of your world. You believe America is the most powerful, capitalist, exploitive country on the planet. You have digested American propaganda that "America is no.1" and "The greatest country on earth".

If you're going to be so fiercely anti-capitalist, you need to direct that anger at all capitalist exploitation, whether they be white Western, or Islamic, or Jewish, or African or Asian.

You conflate life of a person living in Aleppo with another in Riyadh 2000km away. You conflate capitalism with the West. You infantalise non-white Western people, insisting that they are all noble, oppressed, helpless peoples, at the mercy of American imperialists. 

Let this video be a starting point to having a more informed idea about the realities of other places and the lives of others. 

You can threaten me with accusations of racism as much as you like. It doesn't affect me because I know I'm far more compassionate, informed, well-travelled, and culturally-sensitive than you will likely ever be. 

So have you lived in the Arab Gulf states? I’d like to hear your experience and knowledge about that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

So have you lived in the Arab Gulf states? I’d like to hear your experience and knowledge about that.

I've not lived in an Arab country, but I visited Dubai in 1992 and Doha in 2018. I've got friends who live/have lived and worked in UAE, Qatar and Kuwait.

I don't need to give a personal story about migrant exploitation. It's widely evidenced and a widely known issue. A quick google will bring up 1000s of reports about the matter.

1 minute ago, Thu Zaw said:

I've not lived in an Arab country, but I visited Dubai in 1992 and Doha in 2018. I've got friends who live/have lived and worked in UAE, Qatar and Kuwait.

I don't need to give a personal story about migrant exploitation. It's widely evidenced and a widely known issue. A quick google will bring up 1000s of reports about the matter.

That’s what I thought.

• Haha 1

I just want to point out that Canada has been the largest single source of US oil imports since about 1998. Mexico's share has also steadily increased. Imports of oil overall to the US have declined in general, and in 2015 I think, the US became a net exporter of oil. The US is largely energy self-sufficient, and their foreign policy will be increasingly less focused on crude oil.

Now, if you want to say that US foreign policy in the Middle East has been a clusterfuck, by all means. That's pretty obvious (all countries that are capable of it have had pretty fucked up foreign policy in the Middle East). But in the last 20 years the dead there have been less about oil and more about other things for the US (the "war on terror" primary among them - which is a proxy for sustaining the military-industrial complex which employs a lot of people in the US).

• Like 7
  • Facepalm 1

15 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

I just want to point out that Canada has been the largest single source of US oil imports since about 1998. Mexico's share has also steadily increased. Imports of oil overall to the US have declined in general, and in 2015 I think, the US became a net exporter of oil. The US is largely energy self-sufficient, and their foreign policy will be increasingly less focused on crude oil.

Now, if you want to say that US foreign policy in the Middle East has been a clusterfuck, by all means. That's pretty obvious (all countries that are capable of it have had pretty fucked up foreign policy in the Middle East). But in the last 20 years the dead there have been less about oil and more about other things for the US (the "war on terror" primary among them - which is a proxy for sustaining the military-industrial complex which employs a lot of people in the US).

Pretty sure the fighting for oil thing is to make sure countries in the Middle East don’t get too powerful. The US may not need their oil but the rest of he world certainly does.

More of a divide and conquer thing, I suppose.

• Like 1

jfc another one of these threads? can we have a “well, actually” thread for posting pics of pet cheetahs and “america is not the only one doing this” type posts? 

come on guys

25 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

Pretty sure the fighting for oil thing is to make sure countries in the Middle East don’t get too powerful. More of a divide and conquer thing, I suppose.

The US may not need their oil but the rest of the world certainly does.

If the Biden admin reinstates the treaty with Iran, that allows more oil to flow from Iran (sanctions get removed). This means in turn more competition for the Saudis, who would have to seek customers elsewhere. It remains to be seen how OPEC would react to that (Iran will want to keep production high to recoup losses from the stupid sanctions of Trump), as typically OPEC uses production targets to ensure oil price stability. So it may actually be that through promoting peace in the Middle East that the Biden administration divides and conquers...as well as transitioning to a more environmentally friendly energy supply.

The rest of the world has no problem importing oil from the middle east (except Iran in the last 4 years because of Trump's idiotic foreign policy) or Russia. China, European Union, Japan, South Korea (although South Korea reliance on Middle Eastern oil has decreased somewhat, those countries still make up the vast majority of oil exports to South Korea).

1 down!

xltved0lpvy61.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&apj97580lpvy61.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

hope this happens to all the stupid Hummers 

also, ted cruz is fuckn ridiculous as ted cruz. 

d53nmikhhvy61.jpg?width=573&auto=webp&s=

Edited by ignatius
  • Haha 3
  • Farnsworth 2

1 minute ago, ignatius said:

1 down!

xltved0lpvy61.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&apj97580lpvy61.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

hope this happens to all the stupid Hummers 

also, ted cruz is fuckn ridiculous as ted cruz. 

d53nmikhhvy61.jpg?width=573&auto=webp&s=

I used the farnsworth react because I think it encapsulates the range of emotions best: cry, laugh, shake head, wtf?!, pfart n poop.

• Like 1
  • Burger 1

8 hours ago, Thu Zaw said:

.. Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, Saudi...

You're a typical American, in that you place America at the centre of your world. You believe America is the most powerful, capitalist, exploitive country on the planet. You have digested American propaganda that "America is no.1" and "The greatest country on earth".

If you're going to be so fiercely anti-capitalist, you need to direct that anger at all capitalist exploitation, whether they be white Western, or Islamic, or Jewish, or African or Asian.

You conflate life of a person living in Aleppo with another in Riyadh 2000km away. You conflate capitalism with the West. You infantalise non-white Western people, insisting that they are all noble, oppressed, helpless peoples, at the mercy of American imperialists. 

Let this video be a starting point to having a more informed idea about the realities of other places and the lives of others. 

You can threaten me with accusations of racism as much as you like. It doesn't affect me because I know I'm far more compassionate, informed, well-travelled, and culturally-sensitive than you will likely ever be. 

look there are plenty of criticisms of me, but youre just making up so much bullshit.  this is all pulled out of your ass

• Like 1

These are the fuckers that are not only lobbying for voter suppression, but actually WROTE some of the bills that were passed onto Republican state legislatures to pass into law. This makes me ill.