IGNORED

Jamie XX - In Colour

chassis

If you click on the Jamie xx artist profile on RA they describe him as a 'beat-maker' and 'knob shaker'. Which sounds like innuendo for a wanker to me.

I full time knob shaker you say? AND get paid for it?

Colour me interested! :catsalute:

XX, Jamie XX, James Blake. All fucking boring watered down wank juice imo. Beer talking...goodnight!

Edited by beerwolf

All fucking boring watered down wank juice imo.

I don't totally agree with this in general but in the context of this LP i kinda do

For me at least, the best tracks were the ones we'd already heard, and a lot of the others were just really boring, like nothing happened. He would state an idea and then that would be the whole track, no progression or anything, everything just felt super uninspired.

Big disappointment for me

im having the 'Basinski effect' with this one, meaning that I feel i'm supposed to know or understand that Jamie XX has some kind of important body of work or legacy, yet I am 100% completely unaware of this and have approached the album just any other new act electronic record, and approaching it like that it kinda sounds like what Zomby was doing on Where were u in 92 with a much higher budget and team of people.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

I Know There's Gonna Be (Douche Chills)

Not able to wrap me head around the hype either, the only thing to reckon is that he's mates with Four Tet (insta-cred) and fits the happy-chill-vapour indie crossover demographic that all these sites cater to. Above track notwithstanding the record is decent enough, I just dont get what all the fuss is about

Another example of music that is perfectly fine but...

I think a lot of music sites just need to manufacture a "big event" album that supposedly brings people together and has its finger on the pulse. The music itself is never as important as what you can write about it.

im having the 'Basinski effect' with this one, meaning that I feel i'm supposed to know or understand that Jamie XX has some kind of important body of work or legacy, yet I am 100% completely unaware of this and have approached the album just any other new act electronic record, and approaching it like that it kinda sounds like what Zomby was doing on Where were u in 92 with a much higher budget and team of people.

Jamie XX, and the band the xx, has a decent overlap with Four Tet, Caribou, Burial, Gold Panda, and Hot Chip for a a lot of reasons: Thom York being a fan, same circles of PR, management and booking connections in Brooklyn and London, also many of these artists I mentioned went to the same school.

On the surface, I get the Zomby comparison, though I'd say he's more hyped from his musical novelty and absurdly bullshit persona. I had a very very gradual liking of both Jamie XX and the group xx in general, specifically because of their rapid rise to fame & acclaim, but i can say the same thing about Washed Out and Grimes, who I also adore.

The music Jamie XX is making isn't groundbreaking but it's well crafted and sincere. Most electronic producers his age with this much popularity are putting out EDM drivel. The ones doing decent stuff that's left-field or experimental with any kind of mainstream influence are guys like I dunno, Arca or Evian Christ, and the amount of pretentious circle-jerking around that scene is hilarious (see Future Brown's reception) compared to the PR machine behind this.

Jamie XX, and the band the xx, has a decent overlap with Four Tet, Caribou, Burial, Gold Panda, and Hot Chip for a a lot of reasons: Thom York being a fan, same circles of PR, management and booking connections in Brooklyn and London, also many of these artists I mentioned went to the same school.

On the surface, I get the Zomby comparison, though I'd say he's more hyped from his musical novelty and absurdly bullshit persona. I had a very very gradual liking of both Jamie XX and the group xx in general, specifically because of their rapid rise to fame & acclaim, but i can say the same thing about Washed Out and Grimes, who I also adore.

The music Jamie XX is making isn't groundbreaking but it's well crafted and sincere. Most electronic producers his age with this much popularity are putting out EDM drivel. The ones doing decent stuff that's left-field or experimental with any kind of mainstream influence are guys like I dunno, Arca or Evian Christ, and the amount of pretentious circle-jerking around that scene is hilarious (see Future Brown's reception) compared to the PR machine behind this.

plus the xx did that wicked remix of that awful cover of you got the love by florence and the machines

i remember that cover lol that's gotta be on of the worst tracks i ever heard, wtf is the point of this diarrhea

i heard a few songs from this album and i tought it was pretty meh, the production is beast but not even the track with young thug could please me

Listened to this album twice, nothing grabbed me. Won't be going back in.

no, I think being a fan of the xx helps. the only reason ingave this a shot was because I heard he was in the xx so I checked it out. I think the best tracks are the closest to what he normally does anyway.

Yeah I feel silly or out of touch for not liking this album. Am I not cool?

Have you listened to the LP he did with Gil Scott-Heron? Far more interesting tracks on that one, would definitely give it a go if you haven't already

Have you listened to the LP he did with Gil Scott-Heron? Far more interesting tracks on that one, would definitely give it a go if you haven't already

That album is what got be into Jamie XX, I heard "New York Is Killing Me" in a FACT mix he did which I also enjoyed; before that I was skeptical of his work and the xx overall.

I see, I guess being the old fuddy duddy I am it's still fascinating that a band from 2009 is talked about in such a way where one imagines they've been around seemingly forever or for at least an entire decade releasing music. I guess 5 years is a long time? Keep in mind that I intentionally have unplugged myself from almost all music press

Edited by John Ehrlichman

I think outside of niche scenes and genres the shelf live of bigger indie acts is absurdly small. Just look at any end of year list from pitchfork or stereogram or whoever 4 or 5 years after the fact, there are always these "critically-acclaimed" albums that get brushed aside and are in context hardly remembered. Even now albums from the 80s and 90s that were mostly ignored, received with lukewarm reception, or cult classics get thrusted into critical acclaim. The late 90s and early 00s seems like a dark age for many really good artists and bands who were not signed to majors nor really trendy at the time, because even if they were acclaimed, popular and loved it doesn't have an online presence now: that was the last era of print music mags, mailing list and catalog label PR, and fans who didn't spend their concerts capturing the even with digital pic and video. Just a few years later it was livejournal and myspace and mp3 blogs...all of which have largely been deleted or disappeared. Then the explosion of social media: where even the most superficial crap (say like, bloghouse in the late 00s) seems, on the surface, important based in things like last.fm scrobbles or redundant online media coverage. The reality is much of it is at best a quasi-nostalgic indulgence.

The xx is one of those groups the tastemakers crowned so therefore the narrative is inflated to make them seem like old established icons. This and Jamie xx's recent album might be the last hurray. It may just be the beginning...I really don't know. Bon Iver was huge from 2007 to 2010 or so. That guy is barely talked about, and seemingly Father John Misty took his place. Few bands/artists really seem to have lasting power of perpetual "importance," Radiohead being an example, Arcade Fire being another I guess, whereas others stay successful but on a level more connected to their scene and fan.

I dunno. I'm about to unplug myself. I just need to get the balls to do it. If something is really worth listening to I'm sure I'll see it here or hear it from my friends. I'm about to literally quit skimming the music media outlets (I just don't have time anyway) because the more and more I seem to not be missing anything. I'm pretty content with the very nice local and underground stuff I really care about.

I haven't, but I like Gil so I'll check it out. Ta.

"just saying" is the only track i really like

http://de.musicplayon.com/play?v=305228

he should make an ambient album, but then again he would never make an ambient album.

who listens to ambient? where is the drop and why did someone forgot his trousers in my meal ?

didnt care to embed

"just saying" is the only track i really like

http://de.musicplayon.com/play?v=305228

he should make an ambient album, but then again he would never make an ambient album.

who listens to ambient? where is the drop and why did someone forgot his trousers in my meal ?

didnt care to embed

He did this for RSD, maybe you'd like it

https://soundcloud.com/nowness/continuum-sunrise-by-jamie-xx

• 4 years later...