IGNORED

FAVORITEFULLY produced AFX track?

Brisbot

So everyone has opinions on their favorite aphex track sure, but what about the FAVORITEFULLY produced one? The one with the clearest (or dirtiest depending on your preferred style) mix through the mixing and mastering stage. Lows, Mids, and Highs coming out just right at every point with few noticeable drops in quality.

XMD5A gets my vote. It's not my favorite track creatively by him, but I think it was notably better than everything before it. Everything just comes out right, everything hits right. It wasn't 'beaten' or eclipsed in any way until Syro, which even still has some other qualities that bring it down slightly (if you're being really critical anyway) Though I'm still disappointed in the Xmas Evet Mastering since that was the track I was looking forward to the most :\

Though everyone has different criteria, even for something as partially objective like mixing or (especially) mastering. So yeah, opinions?

I wanted to make sure everyone knew I meant their opinion on a track which was full of favorite and not full of best!

I would have liked to make a topic about the most realized mix since that would give more context to the mixes. W32.Deadcode.A makes sense in it's own way since it's somewhat Lo-Fi, it just makes sense with the melody, arrangement, and context in a way that is deeper than simply asking for a favorite track or mix. The issue is that we'd need Richard to ask what the original intent was specifically.

Rushup Edge. Stunning production and mixing.

Syro is often too bassy to my ears.

Analord 10 also stands out, both musically and soundwise.

I would have loved alternate "dynamic" masterings of his most recent stuffs though...

I'm gonna have to buck the trend and say Vordhosbn. The way it comes in, the way it goes out, and everything in between is just the exact kind of sound/setup/vibe I would call Favoritefully. I do agree with the above choices also though, Rushup Edge is masterfully done.

There are SO MANY...

"Stone in Focus" is tops tho.

Honorable mentions...

Box Energy Remix

XMAS_EVE10

54 Cymru Beats

You don't find any issue with the sometimes weird bass frequencies in xmas eve? I can't help but feel it was a mastering issue.

I'm gonna have to buck the trend and say Vordhosbn. The way it comes in, the way it goes out, and everything in between is just the exact kind of sound/setup/vibe I would call Favoritefully. I do agree with the above choices also though, Rushup Edge is masterfully done.

It's real fun to just close your eyes and listen to all the background stuff that's happening.

I thought you meant favourite track title to pronounce :(

Hey, food for another topic :p

Rushup Edge. Stunning production and mixing.

Syro is often too bassy to my ears.

Analord 10 also stands out, both musically and soundwise.

I would have loved alternate "dynamic" masterings of his most recent stuffs though...

I agree!

Good choice. That track is pretty much perfect in every way :)

RDJ Album. I've grown more and more attached to his lower fidelity tape recorded stuff over the years: SAW 1 & II, Caustic Window, etc. but that album, which was my intro to his music, still massages and tickles my eardrums like few others.

One of favorite recordings ever, beyond RDJ's discography too:

You don't find any issue with the sometimes weird bass frequencies in xmas eve? I can't help but feel it was a mastering issue

Mandy Parnell is an absolute veteran of uk mastering engineering, if anythings to blame, it's RDJs progressively more preferential treatment of bass frequencies, one which I happen to favour as it shows his hearing aint going (unlike scwuarepusher). If anything this would be a perfect representation of his intended engineering sound.

Interesting, while I enjoyed the latest Squarepusher release, I haven't really thought about the mix very much as I haven't listened to it much yet. What do you mean exactly with the pusher? Is it the exaggerated higher harmonics?

By the way, I feel like every track on Syro was mastered pretty damn well except for Xmas Eve, which I feel like was mastered well still, but there are a few parts where the bass sounds odd. Maybe it was Richard. He's been pretty damn good with mixes in the past, and has been pretty consistent with them since the late 90s. Though Drukqs was quite variable, but still mostly hit, imho.

Interesting, while I enjoyed the latest Squarepusher release, I haven't really thought about the mix very much as I haven't listened to it much yet. What do you mean exactly with the pusher? Is it the exaggerated higher harmonics?

Oh damogen is miles better mixing than ufabulum, which has so much skrillex treble it just sounds unusual, but I feel like he was going for some sort of sound on ufabulum that I never quite worked out, with that funny ridiculous sidechain comp. love the album tho.

Sorry for steering it off the rdj track, syro is IMO a continuation of the analord sound and is the future of electronica engineering, totally room sounding verbs and placement, tape noise, ahhh

Damogen feels like Ufabulum realized, to me. The sounds are similar, but Damogen has the right bump to it, it's great! It's good to see Squarepusher in form. I haven't really enjoyed his released much from the past half decade.

I've always loved plate and room reverbs. The definition remains intact and you get realistic reverb. Hall verb and up sounds like reverb for reverb's sake. If you're going for a reverb sound then that's what you should use, but it doesn't really compliment most sounds, especially acoustic or well defined ones. Tape noise is questionable :3

I do wonder why room verb is just recently getting so much attention. People loved long reverb tails a ton a decade ago.

fucking fredugalon 6 but yeah, all of rushup edge. The stereo mixing, use of reverb, and dynamics cannot be topped. Listen to a perfect rip w/ good quality headphones.

Archived