IGNORED

AFX • ‘orphaned deejay selek 2006-08’

Herr Jan

Guest kymppinetti

there is somewhat same kind of snares in 'simple slamming b 2' and 'rushup i bank 12'.

Yes and the snare is the same as the one at the end of Alspacka

Could RDJ be the Tuss?!?! :w00t::dry:

no

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there is somewhat same kind of snares in 'simple slamming b 2' and 'rushup i bank 12'.

Yes and the snare is the same as the one at the end of Alspacka

Could RDJ be the Tuss?!?! :w00t::dry:

no

:cat:

I really wanted to love this.

Unfortunately, this release sounds like skeletal experiments that eventually lead to the mastery of The Tuss and Syro tracks. If it were released in that context (and maybe it is, given the 2006-08 designation) then it could be listened to in a similar way to some of the Beatles Anthology stuff - as the sketches that lead to mind-blowing art.

To my ears, there isn't a single track on here that is better than any single track on The Tuss releases unfortunately. There's lots of really good stuff however!

...not that anyone asked lol, just sharing an opinion.

=Ferro=

Unfortunately, this release sounds like skeletal experiments that eventually lead to the mastery of The Tuss and Syro tracks. If it were released in that context (and maybe it is, given the 2006-08 designation) then it could be listened to in a similar way to some of the Beatles Anthology stuff - as the sketches that lead to mind-blowing art.

To my ears, there isn't a single track on here that is better than any single track on The Tuss releases unfortunately. There's lots of really good stuff however!

=Ferro=

poor old mr skeltal

Happy+birthday+mr+skeltal_83631d_5582629

I think that these orphaned deejay selek tracks were primarily designed for deejay sets and that's it. No artificial philosophy. No groundbreaking idmz. Just sets.

Simplicity sometimes is more attractive than complexity.

His production has gotten a kind of really bassy feel since Syro, it also sounds loud as hell, but still clean. I actually miss some of the more raw feel of the analords, and the production on the Tuss record is in my book better. I love this bassy approach but it sort of tires my ears eventually. It's the opposite of Tom where he tires my ears with too much treble nowadays.

The general consensus whenever Richard puts anything out is usually pretty mixed (even on here!) but he himself recognizes that people need a bit of time to get their head around what he's doing as he said in the Syrobonkers! interview; I'm no exception either, it's only recently that the soundcloud stuff started to really get under my skin, I always knew it would and it's such a nice feeling that it is. When Drukqs came out the immediate response felt more towards the negative spectrum of things I felt, but now many class it as one of his best. I remember thinking that the tracklisting was so odd and initially thinking that it didn't really work as an album; but time proved this wasn't the case, this was one of the things that made it the album that it is. Being a reviewer must be such a tough job too, especially with Richard's stuff; Syro just keeps on giving, how anyone could've given an accurate review at the time of release is beyond me. So my approach to anything he puts out now is pretty laid back, it's never quite what you expect but given time you'll love it. Unless you're a cunt obviously.

The general consensus whenever Richard puts anything out is usually pretty mixed (even on here!) but he himself recognizes that people need a bit of time to get their head around what he's doing as he said in the Syrobonkers! interview; I'm no exception either, it's only recently that the soundcloud stuff started to really get under my skin, I always knew it would and it's such a nice feeling that it is. When Drukqs came out the immediate response felt more towards the negative spectrum of things I felt, but now many class it as one of his best. I remember thinking that the tracklisting was so odd and initially thinking that it didn't really work as an album; but time proved this wasn't the case, this was one of the things that made it the album that it is. Being a reviewer must be such a tough job too, especially with Richard's stuff; Syro just keeps on giving, how anyone could've given an accurate review at the time of release is beyond me. So my approach to anything he puts out now is pretty laid back, it's never quite what you expect but given time you'll love it. Unless you're a cunt obviously.

Yeah this, and you always have to compare it to previous releases and therefore rate it, no really, just fuck off and die.

=Ferro=

I agree, it feels like some sort of "work in progress" album, im ok with it, It's really interesting to see the transition from one point to another, the tracks are actually cool, some are too short and feel way too much like actual experiments to even feel like a proper track tho, but I still like it. It felt really weird to hear track 2 basically being the ending of the "original" track (the one for the FM remix comp).

amounts to a lot more than that, but i get your point. My only issue with the vinyl release of it is for a 12" its not cut that loudly, I have pretty much the same problem with virtually every Warp records vinyl pressing I own including Syro. I dont know who masters or presses their stuff but Rephlex's last few releases blow Warp's quality/loudness out of the water, and i dont even think it can be deduced to a simple 45 or 33 1/3rd rpm cut type. maybe it can. Anybody else a little underwhelmed by Warp's vinyl pressings?

just last weekend i did a dj set and almost every Warp track i tried to play was quieter and more muffled than other 33 1/3rd electronic record Lps. I played minipops and xmas evet10 and Paul Hardcastle's full length album from like 1988 sounded like 2x more amplitude, it was weird

Had 3 listens of the wav: car, headphones, home system. Continually gets better and I'll listen to this a ton. No real review other than I fuckin love it.

Spun some syro tonight and that's genius.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest bitroast

2 listens in. Is fucking great. Love how self contained and fluent the whole thing is. Love the tunage as well. The last two tracks i was being reminded of the ccai 2 tracks again with the weird afx quirk town tunings. Maybe there's a name for it?? Gamelan?? I dunno. Ignorance here. My reference point here will be ccai 2 for now. Anyhow. Solid EP. By no means mere tuss leftover EP like i was (almost kind of maybe) expecting with the 06-08 window in the album title.

Some of the tracks also reminded me of dark hard hitting old aphex like xepha and d-scape and etc. But with big party banger beats. Old lovely synths and shit through some big ass sounding fuck-off mixer. Like how squarepusher new stuff sounds like distinctly squarepusher but through a big ass sounding fuck-off mixer.

Good vibes. :>

After a few more listens I must say I'm getting into it a lot more.

Love the mix of types of tracks, some seem to be for dj sets, but I think the EP is not only about that...

I too hear some CCAI type of tracks, especially the last one.

Neotekt72 sounds like some advanced AFX to me... There is that AB feeling in it, except that maybe the drums are a bit calmer in a way.

Rich commented on SC: "yeah i put me foot down and strongly suggested to them they REALLY should offer flacs/wavs for peeps that buy vinyl AND CD but their idea to backgrade older orders, which is great, hats off to them for that and following through, cheers warp !"

Fair play to the guy, and fair play to Warp/Bleep.

Guest cult fiction

=Ferro=

Synthacon 9 was played live in 2005

Minipops was played live in 2007

These are post Tuss, contemporaries of early Syro, not sketches

I wasn't feeling the B side of this EP on the first listen or two, but damn the last 3 tracks on the B side have grown into my favorites on the whole thing... love those modular-y custom drum patches on the long neotek

Guest MetalFaced

vinyl just arrived, pretty nice, but i pref the classic minimalist look.

Neotekt72 fav track so far, but keeps changing everytime i give the whole album a relisten.

Archived