IGNORED

RP Boo - Fingers, Bank Pads & Shoe Prints

Herr Jan

welp, and now i'm rounding out the same 4 people who post in all the footwork threads lol

SUPER PUMPED

sup.gif

@thread RP Boo's music has always been a bit harder for me to listen to imo, i really like your choice but it rolls on a bit too long, and freezaburn is a good example of when the rhythm sounds so goddamn broken is really hard for me to bob my head to it u kno. I really wanna learn to footwork, I think RP Boo's work is best being danced to than listened to.

Still think that it's wot i said from the beginning that it's drum and bass intros that never get anywhere. Apparently they're now adding hip hop track intros to that mix. Both types played for the whooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee da da da da d d d d d d da dddd damn song.

lazy/boring.

Still think that it's wot i said from the beginning that it's drum and bass intros that never get anywhere. Apparently they're now adding hip hop track intros to that mix. Both types played for the whooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee da da da da d d d d d d da dddd damn song.

lazy/boring.

Not really getting that from it, though maybe I haven't heard enough D&B to know what the intros sound like.

If anything is lazy about this I'd say it's the production, though therein lay a certain appeal regarding the rawness of it all. There is just so much exciting energy & genuine intent to this music I love it!

lazy/boring.

Not really getting that from it, though maybe I haven't heard enough D&B to know what the intros sound like.

If anything is lazy about this I'd say it's the production, though therein lay a certain appeal regarding the rawness of it all. There is just so much exciting energy & genuine intent to this music I love it!

To me it's an unreleased energy, a constant ever present tension that is never released, which happens when you get into the hip hop or drum and bass especially beat. Maybe people like it cause it's a reaction to the drop, but i never liked dubstep so didn't need to swing back the other way from it.

Just listened to the whole album. One of the best footwork releases I've heard. Your Choice, Let's Dance Again and Suicide are the best on first listen.

lazy/boring.

I'm afraid I have to agree with delet... I started off listening to the first track freezaburn, and kept waiting for it to develop... which for me, it didn't.

I know far too little about this style to try and explain it properly so correct me if I'm wrong, but I did have the exact same feeling about RP Boo's stuff. I only got into it fairly recently, because of this track:

Like Joyrex said, I just kept waiting until some familiar beat / structure kicked in, or at least some more layers. It didn't happen, and I was fascinated.

It was only until I saw the dancing that it made at least some sense. It is not necessarily unreleased energy, but a constant highly energetic discipline and to me (as someone whos dancing skills are probably the worst in existence) there are multiple ways to interpret the rhythm in a track like this. For example: slow (on the sound of the claps), frantic (on the sound of the subbass), etc. It was primarily created for dancing. The crazy syncopated programming, the music being stripped down to the essence, etc. The dancing is the key here. And it's not new, either. Just compare these:

Zaouli dance

Not the best dancers out there, but at least a good demonstration to the music of RP Boo

http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=tlVbzuARvh0#/77;93
= what I meant with different ways to interpret the rhythm

Whatever the case, to me it feels incredibly funky and makes me want to dance like crazy (bad idea). It also feels really fresh and modern to me.

Guest Barung

the intro->tension realease (or layer after layer) thing is just a convention used in electronic music, or rather music in general. I'm not saying it doesn't work, most tracks that I listen to follow that code, but after getting used to that structure it's normal to find rp boo so different that it almost annoys, but it's really groundbreaking and most importantly it's genuine stuff

Also it would be cool to find some studies on how this music evolved in the ghetto, you know, I think being cut out from the "standards" of average society helps uniqueness, just like cuba and the homemade technology

• 2 months later...

Archived