07. 90 dreams 4:40
08. wants interlude 3:07
09. videophonekitty 3:24
10. movathat 3:36
11. girl is hip 3:00

a0521425493_16.jpg

vladislav footwork album out now

• Like 1

messing with footwork? I can dig it. I was just reminiscing the other day about the glut of good footwork-inspired records that were flying about over 5 years ago now.

Related:: https://ra.co/podcast/785

Can you tell us about the idea behind the mix? I put together the best of underground badass dance music that I've been recently making. I only used unreleased tracks. The mix relates to something I've been into lately: revisiting the idea of club music, what I'd like to hear and be surprised by. Accepting the need for quantized music for a moment. Trying to share happiness. 

Edited by eye
  • Thanks 1

This is exactly the kind of nervous-tic-and-cringe-inducing irritation I stay explicitly away from, most probably due to aging. I'm getting too old for this proverbial shit. I also tried not to comment, but I had to give up because this irritates me even when I no longer hear it.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, dcom said:

This is exactly the kind of nervous-tic-and-cringe-inducing irritation I stay explicitly away from, most probably due to aging. I'm getting too old for this proverbial shit. I also tried not to comment, but I had to give up because this irritates me even when I no longer hear it.

Is that how you feel about footwork and adjacent genres in general, or just this release?  the more i listen to footwork the more I love it, but opinions etc.   Hadn't heard of it described that way before.

Edited by andrd

11 minutes ago, andrd said:

Is that how you feel about footwork and adjacent genres in general, or just this release?  the more i listen to footwork the more I love it, but opinions etc. o

Footwork/juke in general; I also dump hyperpop in the same (hyper)irritant category, I would rather listen to looped blackboard chalk screech.

Spoiler

Not really, but just to drive my point home.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, dcom said:

I don´t blame you. It sounds interesting, but lets be honest, it also sounds boring. I have great respect for Mr. Ripatti.

I like his more focused narrative footworky-IDM:

https://vladislavdelay.bandcamp.com/track/22

Edited by logakght
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Wunderbar said:

What kind of music are u into than ?

You could start by trawling through my posts in New & Upcoming Releases - but that's just a fragment because WATMM is, after all, primarily an electronic music forum. You could also rummage around in my Discogs collection, but that's only what I have as physical releases and is thus only a slice of what I actually like. Then you can check out my  DJ sets and mixes (and likes/reposts - and even some of my own, very old tracks) on Soundcloud, but that's only what I've played at gigs and at home. Nevertheless, these three will most probably give you a partial answer.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If y'all gonna spin it like that, I have to chip in:

I like juke as a structure, yet this is bland to me, nothing of note at all. The whole gesture of Ripatti saying he's mad into current US rappers gives me cringe vibes of the archetypical rootless white dude hooked on what has vital energy in it. The fact that he does this while living far from cities on a remote Finnish island is a bit baffling. I guess the internet is good there.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, usagi said:

well, your take on footwork does sound like an OK boomer moment.

It was supposed to be self-deprecatingly humorous, so I think I nailed it - but as I've expounded elsewhere, my attempts mostly fail because subtle irony and sarcasm are such high-brow modes of humour that without explicit use of emoji they escape most people - myself included.

Spoiler

...and if it wasn't clear enough, the above is yet another example of me trying to be humorous about failing at humour by way of self-deprecating irony. Maybe I should be more internet-savvy and use tone indicators ?

I'm not a boomer, I'm Gen X. /s

No, that doesn't work.

Edited by dcom