IGNORED

Making changes at Warp Records

fumi

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would join forces with raster-noton and denovali records and make collab festivals and remix cooperations. I would also remove all acts signed during the last 5-8 years

I would also put a voting system in charge where aphex, boc and autechre can veto on new acts and have the ability to suggest new acts which are determined by equal votes

I would join forces with raster-noton

Raster-Noton has become my Warp over the past few years for all things electronically-wonky.

Can you recommend some artists or albums? Just bought Aoki Takamasa's RV8 based on your recc of Raster as a label...

Very disappointed by fumi with this thread. Did the old man get so drunk last night he rested his face on the keyboard and this happened?

I'd say the next couple of weeks are time for reflection for this ageing hipster and his collection of t-shirts and sneakers.

Raster-Noton has become my Warp over the past few years for all things electronically-wonky.

Can you recommend some artists or albums? Just bought Aoki Takamasa's RV8 based on your recc of Raster as a label...

xerrox vol3 by alva noto ,

death of a typographer by byetone

inertia IV by grischa lichtenberger

byetone ,

Yeah raster noton and denovali are still going strong with a constant flow of new very high quality signings

xerrox vol3 by alva noto ,

death of a typographer by byetone

inertia IV by grischa lichtenberger

byetone ,

thx meng

Keep it the same but instead of hyping albums for months before release, just release the fkn things. It's getting to the point where I'm sick of the goddamn thing before I've even heard it

Get rid of Battles, Grizzly Bear, Prefuse 73, !!!, TNGHT, Hudson Mohawke, Kwes, and a lot of other people. I really like Battles, but they don't fit well on Warp in my opinion. I'd try to move the label into a more ambient direction and try to get Max Loderbauer and some onkyokei artists like Toshimaru Nakamura on it. Anything that sounds good on electrostatic speakers. My top priority would probably be to make some Osamu Sato reissues happen. Wagon Christ did a mix on Equal, so it might be feasible.

Oh, and obviously I would do reissues of SAW vol. II and Tri Repetae, which Warp really should not have to think twice about.

I think WARP is fine - you must remember, not all music suits all tastes, even in the "golden age" of IDM at WARP.

I think releases like "Garden of Delete" show WARP has never lost sight of their roots or what makes them special.

Guest cult fiction

Planet Mu A&R runs circles around Warp.

First change I'd make is get a new A&R person, somebody with their ears to the ground.

Get rid of Battles, Grizzly Bear, Prefuse 73, !!!, TNGHT, Hudson Mohawke, Kwes, and a lot of other people. I really like Battles, but they don't fit well on Warp in my opinion. I'd try to move the label into a more ambient direction and try to get Max Loderbauer and some onkyokei artists like Toshimaru Nakamura on it. Anything that sounds good on electrostatic speakers. My top priority would probably be to make some Osamu Sato reissues happen. Wagon Christ did a mix on Equal, so it might be feasible.

Oh, and obviously I would do reissues of SAW vol. II and Tri Repetae, which Warp really should not have to think twice about.

This. A&R got praise for signing these acts but they do not have anything mystical or obscure going on or pushing the boundaries in any way something that was WARP DNA all the time. It's not hard to find well hyped indie artists. It's hard to find timeless game changers like afx, boc, autechre etc. And there's no excuse as other labels are still finding these while successfully maintaining financial income. Sure who am I to judge but its a bit sad given the potential and network they have right in front of them

Archived