IGNORED

Forum Features - Hated, Wanted, Pie In The Sky

Joyrex

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes to auto folding multi quotes.

yes to updated minimal layout(s).

http://www.discourse.org/ does this kind of thing really well, not sure if any of their threading and quoting featrues have equivalents in the latest IPS software, or whether it's more of a cosmetic upgrade, but would be cool if possible.

1. 75% less delet
  2. a script to replace rubin farr posts with a random pic from dank memes thread
  3. lifetime achievement award for jedy
  4. declassify LTM forum archives
  5. declare an official, annual watmm day of mourning to commemorate the departure of John Ehrlichman (aka Awepittace).

An autechre emoticon ffs

north face jackets or summat idk

other than these crucial things i don't think so.

watmm is quite good.

Like: Current search function is great.

Want: An ignore thread function, for those long-running threads that I don't read or post in (or hot new ones that are just kinda shit).

Well, you are in luck - the search in the new forum software is even better, and there is an addon I just discovered for the new forum software that allows you to ignore an entire thread, and manage your ignored threads via your user control panel.

So each page in the thread as a 25 post limit, if I'm not mistaken?

One of my biggest pet peeves is getting hit with a page break unexpectedly when I'm posting. So my thought was, what if there's a counter for the number of posts on each page? Example; when the post count per page is nearing capacity, they can be numbered 21/25, 22/25, 23/25, etc.

Hopefully that wouldn't be too much hassle to set up. Just thought a feature like that would be nice.

I thought you can adjust your post-per-page limit? Or are you saying it caps out at 25 per page, and that's what you want changed?

One of my biggest pet peeves is getting hit with a page break unexpectedly when I'm posting.

lol jesus, why does this give you so much buttache???

Mine: PLEASE offer a less crowded, more minimal layout, there is so much shit on the front page.

Define "shit" - you mean the sidebars, subforums, etc.? I think the new default theme is probably going to suit you well, and we can also look into other themes that might fit those wanting a more minimalist forum view.

Chatmm app for Android/iphone/samsung galaxy.

Personal peeve but General Banter is nice to read for news, arguments and whatnot but the amount of absolute trash posts in there is becoming bloated to the point that I'm having to look through 3-5 pages of shitposts before I get to anything meaningful or important. The shitposting, flamewars and bawwwww threads could use another forum with more lax moderation.

AFAIK, the chat in the new forum will work on mobile devices, as the entire forum is geared to be responsive - in other words, the forum view changes to suit the screen size you are on by arranging the layout and features appropriate for that size screen.

I think the replacement for View New Content will suit you well - more on that to come.

An autechre emoticon ffs

north face jackets or summat idk

I welcome anyone wanting to design new emoticons.

make it so we can change background colors and text to what we want? if that's possible

I know some themes allow this, so that will be a possibility, at least from a colour standpoint.

Ability to like a post (everyone else probably would hate that but I would use it).

Auto-folding up of nested quotes...as in when quoting a quoted quote and huge swaths of blocks of text fill the screen, only the most recent one or two quoted are immediately visible, but with an expandable older-quoted-posts option. I've seen this on other forums.

The current system of redundant notifications is flawed. If I log in at 7:00 and there's been a rolling lol in a thread I'm subscribed to, from the drop down menu it shows seven notifications for that thread instead of just one, but it only shows about 10 total in the drop down...I know I can open the notifications tab in a new window for a full list, but I'm lazy. This is obviously very nitpicky, probably more of a pie-in-the-sky thing.

Multiple sizes for Bandcamp embeds :)

Maybe some way to highlight the New & Upcoming Releases and EKT New Releases sub-forums? They both feel underutilized/appreciated...I know EKT will likely always stay that way to some extent, but it really feels to me that the new releases sub-forum isn't as active as it could be.

Maybe a temporary featured artists sub-forum? I know it's a mission statement essentially of WATMM to keep the featured artists forum lean, but maybe there could be a Featured Releases sub-forum for the bigger/newer IDM/whatever releases from artists who don't have their own forum? Maybe just a sticky-ed section for this in New & Upcoming Releases? I dunno, spitballing here.

That's enough for now. :)

sent using magic space waves

Post liking is something the new forum has, so you're covered there.

I don't know about auto-folding of nested quotes... I know the new forum handles quotes and quoting differently (for instance you can do a Twitter-like "@username" in replies), but I'll have to look into that more.

RE: Redundant notifications - the replacement for View New Content does all this and more... it's really awesome, and stupidly powerful. I feel it will be the biggest game-changer on the new forum.

Embed sizes - I'll look into that - the current Bandcamp embed we are using is a addon, and I am sure it could be customized if need be. The new forum is more intelligent about embedding, so we might have even more features available (I just read something about how you can embed iTunes links automatically when making posts about artists or albums).

Part of this forum upgrade will also be bringing back content to WATMM, and there is going to be more focus on our community of talented music makers, and featuring their works, so I think we might be able to address those issues.

Like: Well since I see 'em mentioned above, I also browse the forum via View New Content then Mark Community Read, so I hope those stay but I doubt such basic functionality would be removed. I like the auto-embedding for Soundcloud, YouTube, Twitter, et cetera, if anything these features should be expanded rather than reduced.

Hate: I keep repeating this and I think it was dismissed as a Firefox bug but the themes introduced after WATMM Classic are still slower after upgrading my computer and having double checked using different browsers, operating systems, and devices.

Pie in the sky: A more modern fast and light/minimal skin, for those of us who just want a basic forum without too many bells and whistles that doesn't look like we're still living in 1999.

As mentioned, embeds are more intelligent in the new forum software, so that will only get better.

I think some of those slowness issues will be resolved with the new forum software - it is a ground-up rewrite, so a lot of the antiquated CSS and coding will give way to more modern and efficient standards, and hopefully less stress for systems with less CPU.

Lighter and faster minimal themes will be available.

Is there a function that takes you to the last post you posted on a given thread? that'd be neat

I thought it does that already... if not, I'll see if the functionality exists and if not, see if there is an addon that accomplishes it. You can also look through your posted content, as it should list your last posts there as well, but I admit that's not as convenient as what you are suggesting.

yes to auto folding multi quotes.

yes to updated minimal layout(s).

http://www.discourse.org/ does this kind of thing really well, not sure if any of their threading and quoting featrues have equivalents in the latest IPS software, or whether it's more of a cosmetic upgrade, but would be cool if possible.

I actually considered Discourse when evaluating whether to stick with the current software or if this was a good time to make a switch - unfortunately, Discourse is still new software-wise, and while it does many things really well, it falls short in a lot of other areas that are important to the WATMM relaunch.

I'll take a look again at the features you mention, and see if the equivalents are available in the new forum software.

Thanks to everyone so far for the constructive feedback (no thanks to the folks using this as vector for personal attacks on others), and please - give some more! Let's use this opportunity to make WATMM even better.

xf and I are working on a test forum in preparation for the upgrade - we might be able to give some hands-on previews soon...

Hey thanks for replying papa JR. As far as "shit", yes, all the above. I don't know the best way to solve the problem, maybe per user view preferences, collapsible/expandable controls, etc. There is just a lot I tend to ignore on the front page, mostly I just want to see the most recent posts for the whole site, then I check EKT, then I check the Autechre sub, then if I'm really bored I check GB. Everything else is noise for me.

I'll go ahead and speak for ambermonk and say he is very concerned about being the one to create the first post on the next page and would like some kind of warning that that's where his post is gonna go. I mean, someone's post is gonna go there unless the thread dies. otherwise you could just show the last X posts in the thread and automagically load the older ones on scroll, tumblr style.

Hey thanks for replying papa JR. As far as "shit", yes, all the above. I don't know the best way to solve the problem, maybe per user view preferences, collapsible/expandable controls, etc. There is just a lot I tend to ignore on the front page, mostly I just want to see the most recent posts for the whole site, then I check EKT, then I check the Autechre sub, then if I'm really bored I check GB. Everything else is noise for me.

I'll go ahead and speak for ambermonk and say he is very concerned about being the one to create the first post on the next page and would like some kind of warning that that's where his post is gonna go. I mean, someone's post is gonna go there unless the thread dies. otherwise you could just show the last X posts in the thread and automagically load the older ones on scroll, tumblr style.

infinite scroll is another thing discourse does very well, and not in a shitty way like tumblr does (i.e. it unloads the old stuff from the DOM as you scroll down, so it doesn't slow the browser to a crawl on very large threads - i've seen this bugger with youtube embeds though from time to time - scrolling past a playing video sometimes unloads it, so maybe not worth it).

One of my biggest pet peeves is getting hit with a page break unexpectedly when I'm posting. So my thought was, what if there's a counter for the number of posts on each page? Example; when the post count per page is nearing capacity, they can be numbered 21/25, 22/25, 23/25, etc.

Hopefully that wouldn't be too much hassle to set up. Just thought a feature like that would be nice.

I thought you can adjust your post-per-page limit? Or are you saying it caps out at 25 per page, and that's what you want changed?

The number itself isn't a problem for me. I just wonder if there's an easier way to tell when the post limit is about to be reached on each page. Some kind of heads up, basically.

Is there a function that takes you to the last post you posted on a given thread? that'd be neat

I thought it does that already... if not, I'll see if the functionality exists and if not, see if there is an addon that accomplishes it. You can also look through your posted content, as it should list your last posts there as well, but I admit that's not as convenient as what you are suggesting.

yes, there is "go to first unread post" which is pretty useful, but no "go to my last post" as far as I know... could be made more flexible and implement a "go to last post by User X" function. Not much of a priotiy for me anyway, could do without it

The number itself isn't a problem for me. I just wonder if there's an easier way to tell when the post limit is about to be reached on each page. Some kind of heads up, basically.

looking at the post number besides every single post + elementary math should be enough

There is a heads up though mate, it's the post number ;)

I think the new Activity Feeds (the replacement for View New Content) will help here - if you say made the Activity Feeds your default page, you'd have only what you want, right there at your fingertips.

infinite scroll is another thing discourse does very well, and not in a shitty way like tumblr does (i.e. it unloads the old stuff from the DOM as you scroll down, so it doesn't slow the browser to a crawl on very large threads - i've seen this bugger with youtube embeds though from time to time - scrolling past a playing video sometimes unloads it, so maybe not worth it).

I think there is an infinite scrolling plugin... there are issues like unloading from DOM and embeds, so dunno how well or not that would work out. We'll see!

yes, there is "go to first unread post" which is pretty useful, but no "go to my last post" as far as I know... could be made more flexible and implement a "go to last post by User X" function. Not much of a priotiy for me anyway, could do without it

looking at the post number besides every single post + elementary math should be enough

Well, isn't "first unread post" akin to "the last post you made in the thread", since technically the last time you viewed the thread, the last post read was yours?

Well, isn't "first unread post" akin to "the last post you made in the thread", since technically the last time you viewed the thread, the last post read was yours?

Again, the only scenario I would find this to be useful is when browsing ancient, long threads, looking for my own posts... but yeah, the first unread post would be right below the last post you made, until you visit the thread again but don't post. Then it wouldn't be... (I think)

Again, the only scenario I would find this to be useful is when browsing ancient, long threads, looking for my own posts... but yeah, the first unread post would be right below the last post you made, until you visit the thread again but don't post. Then it wouldn't be... (I think)

Yeah, that's true - if you are interested in finding old posts of yours, you can look under "My Content" which is under the dropdown on your username at the top of the forum.

kanye west emoticon

OK, here ya go :jackass: :emotawesomepm9:

Ah yeah, that was the term I was looking for. Smart, Atwood's definitely got experience with this type of thing.

I think the new Activity Feeds (the replacement for View New Content) will help here - if you say made the Activity Feeds your default page, you'd have only what you want, right there at your fingertips.

Brilliant, looking forward to trying it out. Do you have a demo site we can take a gander at?

There is a heads up though mate, it's the post number ;)

Yeah it's 25 per page in the web interface so it's just counting quarters innit?

Actually I withdraw my request. Shows I haven't really been paying close enough attention to the fact that the posts are already numbered.

And yes, it is basically counting quarters. Math just isn't one of my strong points. Sorry for drawing this issue out for so long lol

Actually I withdraw my request. Shows I haven't really been paying close enough attention to the fact that the posts are already numbered.

And yes, it is basically counting quarters. Math just isn't one of my strong points. Sorry for drawing this issue out for so long lol

lol, it's all good. Math isn't everyone's strong suit. More interesting to me is why it bugs you so much but don't feel bad about it, just rest assured that I giggle every time it does.

The best answer function is quite annoying in it's current state.

A script to prevent haters from breaking a perfectly fine rolling lol.

I also browse by new content, so I hope that stays as it is.

Archived