IGNORED

2814 - Rain Temple

purlieu

Sounds great and really nice production on this. However, some of the tracks are a little too long for me, personally. Eyes of the Temple for example said everything it needed to say to me within 5 minutes.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the bump, going to wait a while for the dust to settle before I throw any money at it, but it's sounding really good right now.

Wouldn't wait too long if you're picking up a physical copy, DC are down to 170 LPs as of this afternoon.

Sounds great and really nice production on this. However, some of the tracks are a little too long for me, personally.

t e l e p a t h has some notoriously long songs in his solo efforts, 15-20+ minute long tracks... they are great but sometimes it seems a bit excessive

suddenly I thought 2562 was releasing new music, 2814 is good too though

That's who I've been thinking of since this morning when I saw this but couldn't remember the digits lol

Thanks for the bump, going to wait a while for the dust to settle before I throw any money at it, but it's sounding really good right now.

Wouldn't wait too long if you're picking up a physical copy, DC are down to 170 LPs as of this afternoon.

I waited the last time and missed out and will forever r e g r e t i t . . .

So calling all knowledgeable WATMM ambient fans, is there something this sounds a lot like this from the 90s? Not beat heavy but not drone either, no overtly sci-fi and more subtle than arpeggio heavy synth stuff...maybe like Biosphere or Namlook maybe? Global Communication?

I've noticed a lot of newer beat heavy vaporwave is pretty akin to stuff by Orbital and FSOL so it made me wonder what ambient this might be similar too. I feel like I've heard something very akin to this years ago.

I waited the last time and missed out and will forever r e g r e t i t . . .

5 editions across 3 formats and 2 years and you still missed out?

I might get a Rain Temple CD if they stay available long enough for me to make my mind up, if not then I'll see if I still want this thing by the time the n-th reissue comes along.

So calling all knowledgeable WATMM ambient fans, is there something this sounds a lot like this from the 90s? Not beat heavy but not drone either, no overtly sci-fi and more subtle than arpeggio heavy synth stuff...maybe like Biosphere or Namlook maybe? Global Communication?

I've noticed a lot of newer beat heavy vaporwave is pretty akin to stuff by Orbital and FSOL so it made me wonder what ambient this might be similar too. I feel like I've heard something very akin to this years ago.

The other group they remind me of most is Marconi Union. Not 90s but still 10+ years old, I was really into their "Distance" album at the time.

Album of the day on bandcamp. Will probably pick this up.

Reminds of Vangelis soundtracks a lot. Also reminds of Locust (Mark Van Hoen) to a degree.

btw if you have a tape copy of this you could probably sell for mad dollars on Discogs.

It's ok, it's too heavy melody wise. in fact, it's emo.

I kinda like that, in fact itd be forgettable if it wasnt a little heavy-handed

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Apparently they're putting out 500 more cassettes later tonight in case any of you didnt get one

Yeah, 500 more tapes on their way. Black shell rather than the glitter ones to give those who copped the first release a bit of an exclusive. Should hopefully keep prices down a tad on eBay / Discogs too.

In terms of similarity, it depends how close you won't. I don't know anything from the '90s that has the same heavy, woozy vibe as anything telepath produces, but there are things vaguely akin. I think the Reload album would actually fit in really well on Dream Catalogue these days, although some of that is a lot more hardvapour in sound (lol). Seabiscuit by Spacetime Continuum is reasonably close I suppose. There's probably a fair amount of stuff on FAX in general that fits in with some of the more ambient ends of things.

It actually kind of annoys me how few vaporwave artists acknowledge FSOL. The whole sample-based, exotic cyberpunk thing is totally the same. 'My Kingdom' even has a slowed down loop from the Blade Runner soundtrack. Kids these days.

Tapes are still available as of just a few minutes ago...

I will agree it's quite interesting how a lot of this "new school" vaporwave borrows heavily from mid 90s electronica/ambient. It kinda proves that a lot of that music has a real timeless quality to it. I put on FSOL - Lifeforms on the other day again and I'm kind of hard pressed to say it sounds dated at all.

Loving "Rain Temple" irregardless, it's a fine piece of work with no misses for me. Sure some tracks overstay their welcome but that's par for the course when telepath is involved, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tapes are still available as of just a few minutes ago...

I will agree it's quite interesting how a lot of this "new school" vaporwave borrows heavily from mid 90s electronica/ambient. It kinda proves that a lot of that music has a real timeless quality to it. I put on FSOL - Lifeforms on the other day again and I'm kind of hard pressed to say it sounds dated at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't be too cynical about it, esp. the muddled vague arbitrary style guidelines of vaporwave, because ultimately its a sincere gesture that classic sounds are being harkened and its neat how such a niche community has latched onto it, especially when trap and EDM is all the rage: I can see the appeal of this to kids unfamiliar with most pre-mid 00s electronic music, even if many seem to naively 'discover' well worn influences like blade runner.

Also some like Nmesh and Oscob have readily mentioned FSOL and Orbital as influences.

Anyone have any insight into who does what on 2814? they are on different continents assuming its a lot of email collaboration.

2814 reminds me of fsol.

who are this guyz?!...hong kong express & telepath... i mean, i'm listening their other releases, including solo works, are THEY ARE G:O:O:D! they're the best thing that came out of vaporwave imo

If you like them you should check out both records by Remember:

https://dreamcatalogue.bandcamp.com/album/--22

https://plus100.bandcamp.com/album/--2

Overgrowth by Oscob + Digital Sex:

https://bludhoney.bandcamp.com/album/overgrowth

BLCR Labs is a pretty good label, their sampler has some great stuff on it:

https://blcr.bandcamp.com/album/best-of-blcr-y-1

HKE's other projects Sandtimer and Subaeris

There's a ton of other great stuff on Dream Catalogue too

Cocainejesus - we're worried about you on Dream Catalogue is one of the year's best albums.

Also follow HKE on twitter, he's hilarious.

He's funny in the way Zomby on twitter is 'funny'

I like NMesh and Oscob's accounts more.

Archived