IGNORED

Metallica - Hardwired...To Self-Destruct

Twelvetrees

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.... I really like the Black album.  But it was one of the first albums I loved when I was 9, so it's kind of engrained in me.  Hardwired even.

Everything about this is LOLing me stupid hard though.

i was in 9th grade when Master Of Puppets came out.. we were running around the halls in school between classes screaming at each other like a game "MASTER! MASTER!!!!" 

anyway.. my intro to metallica was killem all and ride the lightning so the black album was some heavily processed cheese to me. my buddy liked it a lot though.. we were all 20 by then or whatever. 

but if i was 9 i'd have been a different thing i guess. 

Haha that "master master!" thing is awesome.  I entered highschool 5 years too late.

The only thing that bugs me about the Black album to some extent when I hear it now is the drum sound... partly the fakey sounding snare, but mostly just that they're mixed way too loud.  I like how everything else was produced for the most part, and the songwriting, riffs and vocals on that album still hit the spot for me.  Master of Puppets is my favorite... Justice probably would be if the bass were audible.  The guitar arrangements on that album are exceptional.

.... I really like the Black album.  But it was one of the first albums I loved when I was 9, so it's kind of engrained in me.  Hardwired even.

Everything about this is LOLing me stupid hard though.

i was in 9th grade when Master Of Puppets came out.. we were running around the halls in school between classes screaming at each other like a game "MASTER! MASTER!!!!" 

anyway.. my intro to metallica was killem all and ride the lightning so the black album was some heavily processed cheese to me. my buddy liked it a lot though.. we were all 20 by then or whatever. 

but if i was 9 i'd have been a different thing i guess. 

Haha that "master master!" thing is awesome.  I entered highschool 5 years too late.

The only thing that bugs me about the Black album to some extent when I hear it now is the drum sound... partly the fakey sounding snare, but mostly just that they're mixed way too loud.  I like how everything else was produced for the most part, and the songwriting, riffs and vocals on that album still hit the spot for me.  Master of Puppets is my favorite... Justice probably would be if the bass were audible.  The guitar arrangements on that album are exceptional.

before they recorded the black album kirk hammet took some guitar lessons from joe satriani. it's obvious in the solos. but still kirk's style just better kirk style ;)  kirk is the one i never get mad at.  though it's funny that dave mustaine got kicked out of the band for drinking too much. 

before they recorded the black album kirk hammet took some guitar lessons from joe satriani. it's obvious in the solos. but still kirk's style just better kirk style ;)  kirk is the one i never get mad at.  though it's funny that dave mustaine got kicked out of the band for drinking too much. 

lol.. well technically it was before the black album, but his Satriani lessons were around the time when he joined Metallica.

Kirk has certainly come up with some good guitar solos in his time—Unforgiven is a classic, and most of Justice is really kinda avantgarde if you analyse it, like that second solo in Shortest Straw, where it's in a different key to the rest of the song.. but I think he's getting a bit complacent lately, I don't think any of his solos from DM have been particularly memorable, they all tend to follow a similar formula.

I absolutely *loved* both the rhythm and lead guitar work on Load/Reload though; when I heard it as a teenager, it got me into the idea of using things like slide, whammy pedal, weird effects etc that still shows in my guitar solos these days..

I quite like the snare sound from black album, and then from Load and Reload as well. I think that drum sound really suits Lars' drumming; he's not a great thrash drummer but pretty good with that hard rock style from those albums.

I still think the black album is more proggy than people tend to remember/appreciate. Especially songs like My Friend of Misery, Unforgiven, even that cool little progression in Holier Than Thou.. like Justice but with restraint.

Justice is still my favourite after all these years, hopefully that gets a 30th anniversary remaster, like the Ride the Lightning remaster, which absolutely blew my mind, it's so fkn good.

My mama thought the album was called "kill and maul", and she ripped all the tape out of the cassette in front of my face with a fork before I could correct her.  I was a wee child.

i told my mom all the songs were about social issues. she didn't investigate to hard. master of denial. "mom, those aren't empty beer bottles under my bed" 

Got into them when One was released and got out of them when The Black album was released. Still play the first three albums a lot, especially Kill 'em All. First three albums are still classics for me.

even wikipedia manages to make lars sound like a cunt. this is from the article for 'master of puppets'.

Ulrich played Tama drum equipment, and borrowed a rare S.L.P. Black Brass from Def Leppard drummer Rick Allen, who had lost his arm in a car accident.

'lost your arm, rick? that's terrible. buuuuuuutttt i don't think you'll be needing this any more - OK if i borrow it?'

flol

If the whole album is thrash it probably won't be great. There's only so much you can do with writing thrash songs and they pretty much exhausted it with Justice. If Hardwired is representative of the whole album, at best this will probably sound like worse versions of other Metallica songs. There's just not that many ways to write a thrash riff.

Taking Aphex as an example, with every new release you can pick out brand new aspects and developments to the sound. Metallica's development from KEA to Justice didn't really introduce much new, just developed their songwriting. I don't think they have developed at all since they slowed and shortened their songs with the Black Album. They've just stagnated and the returns have diminished. I doubt there's going to be anything genuinely fresh on this.

Yeah, I remember being disappointed that the one genuinely interesting, almost experimental ambient song from the St Anger sessions was vetoed by Lars' dad.

I'm not prepared for anything interesting, but am kinda hoping for some good riffs/progressions. Considering there's 11 tracks left of the album, and at least 77 mins worth of material, those long songs had better be good, haha.

Yeah, I remember being disappointed that the one genuinely interesting, almost experimental ambient song from the St Anger sessions was vetoed by Lars' dad.

I'm not prepared for anything interesting, but am kinda hoping for some good riffs/progressions. Considering there's 11 tracks left of the album, and at least 77 mins worth of material, those long songs had better be good, haha.

i remember watching 'Some kind of monster' and they're jamming in the studio and it sounds pretty good and james is actually saying some shit that sounds real and vulnerable or something and it's like a real fucking song and not a bunch of shit that goes through some process of watering down via committee.. it sounded like some back sabbath soul sludge jam and of course bob fucking rock shits all over it and it's never heard from again.

"oh we're making some art right now.. getting shills on my arms.. hair standing up.. we're actually in the moment of it's coming together.. oh there's bob.. fuck.. he hates it.. let's shit on this fucking genuine artistic moment of self expression and being a band and not thinking about stuff and just playing our shit and putting our shit down.. fuck this sucks all the kids will hate it.. we'll never make another good song again.. what do the people want? i don't understnad feelings.. someone call the shrink and get dave mustain in here to cry about his feelings even though he wrote all that good shit early on that every one still loves.. we suck.. it should've been lars getting squished by that bus.. cliff was the best... we should give rob trujillo a million dollars and change his life.. that'll feel good.. we're huge.. we have lot's of money.. i'm gonna buy a hotrod and ride around SF and go over a bridge with these cameras following me..."

I take it ignatius you have a love/hate relationship with Metallica! I stopped caring a long time ago, I used to really love them though. About as much as you can love a band without being completely unhealthily obsessed. Bob Rock definitely became a hate figure for me. Then I realised fairly quickly I was wasting my time and energy.

Metallica became very much like U2, they got so big and worth so much money which eventually dwarfed and ate up any true artistic merit. Though the music turned into pure shit they could still put millions of bums on seats and make hundreds of millions of pounds out on tour. For both bands to not be accused of becoming nostalgia acts they have to churn out an album. Doesn't matter if the album is crap because the megalithic tour will follow. And that's what I guess its all about. Give them their due though, Metallica are a great band live, me and my mates watched them on the Death Magnetic tour (and numerous tours/festivals in the last 20 years) and had a great nights out. But even live I think I'm done with them now.

I really should get around to seeing them live sometime. I briefly wandered past the stage they played on at the 2004 (I think?) big day out, heard them completely fumbling through Battery and thought "nah". When they came to Australia again for another festival a few years ago I didn't bother going, but then regretted it when I saw the footage.

Next time, for sure!

I take it ignatius you have a love/hate relationship with Metallica! I stopped caring a long time ago, I used to really love them though. About as much as you can love a band without being completely unhealthily obsessed. Bob Rock definitely became a hate figure for me. Then I realised fairly quickly I was wasting my time and energy.

Metallica became very much like U2, they got so big and worth so much money which eventually dwarfed and ate up any true artistic merit. Though the music turned into pure shit they could still put millions of bums on seats and make hundreds of millions of pounds out on tour. For both bands to not be accused of becoming nostalgia acts they have to churn out an album. Doesn't matter if the album is crap because the megalithic tour will follow. And that's what I guess its all about. Give them their due though, Metallica are a great band live, me and my mates watched them on the Death Magnetic tour (and numerous tours/festivals in the last 20 years) and had a great nights out. But even live I think I'm done with them now.

oh i stopped caring a long time ago as well. i didn't buy the black album. have heard bits and pieces here or there of later releases but only enough to confirm they're a waste of time. i loved them too though up until and justice for all but lost interest quickly after that. .then wrote them off as 'done/over'.  when the black album came out all ove metallica's previous releases were up in the top 40 for like a year. they made so much money.. the U2 comparison seems accurate. 

Forget the new album lets all do a big pow, raise the devil horned fist to each other and listen to this instead :diablo:

yet below this mighty fine tune I see comments raging about X-Men? WTF is that all about? I tell you, don't bother telling me. Please don't tell me these billionaires are selling off their thrash classics which were originally made to be totally against the mainstream to Holywood action hero films? Hah hah. Whoop whoop.

Keep the money rolling in you hypocritical cunts!

I'm done with this thread because I'd at least like to keep at least the first 3 albums sacred. I don't want to know any more.

Archived