IGNORED

Massive disappointments from artists you love

Stock

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/10/2016 at 6:09 AM, eugene said:

i was curious about orbital's per-massive disappointment phase and grabbed in sides. well, it's really embarrassing, i literally felt the urge to lower the volume so neighbors wont hear it and form impressions of me based on that. it's sounds very teenage,  videogame/demoscene kinda music. some new agey plinky plonk steel drum sound panning from left to right for 2 minutes, then some angsty acidic synth with delay joins in for another 2 minutes. intense. then a drop and a female angelic voice comes in (i can literally imagine the video game character singing this - huge boobs (natural, no silicone allowed), tiny waist, all dressed in white with intricate patterns made of silver thread, elf, can levitate). i think this music is impossible to appreciate today in a non ironic/nostalgic way.

goddamn this post makes me angry lmao

I'm not a huge fan of Rick & Morty but it's more than okay considering all the shit that's around these days. I guess that's your point. But... Oversteps is one of their better albums in fact. It's way better than "just okay". It's certainly better than Untilted. It's better than all their prior albums, now that I think about it. Everyone who thinks otherwise deserves no respect.

On 8/29/2016 at 4:03 PM, scumtron said:
  1. Pearl Jam: Every album after Vitalogy
  2. Massive Attack: Every album after Mezzanine
  3. Tool: Every album after Ænima
  4. Boc: TCH
  5. Burial: Temple Sleeper
  6. Squarepusher: Every album after Ultravisitor
  7. Plaid: Every album after Double Figure
  8. Tricky: Every album after Pre-Millennium Tension

Good post.

And In Sides is essential. (Edit: It feels so stupid to say that, like "Oxygen is good for you", "Kanye West is a megalomaniac" or "Flying Lotus is overrated".)

12 minutes ago, dingformung said:

Oversteps is one of their better albums in fact. ... Everyone who thinks otherwise deserves no respect.

No, and I am genuinely sorry that you are so utterly wrong and must resort to ad hominem to "prove" your "point". It's got a couple of bright spots but it's mostly weak, noodly shit covered up by very nice reverb. That said, I don't fault them for it because it was a transitional period, particularly for Sean. Exai had just so much more style, color, variety, and life. And they've just resumed their upward trajectory from there.

Also, Move of Ten aged much better, imo.

my Beck disappointment came in a different phase. Odelay came out when I was around 13 and I saw him on the supporting tour. That was the first "real" concert I'd ever been to, and as a kid I loved that album. I also appreciated his evolution of the next few albums. However when Guero came out, it felt like an empty retread into Odelay territory, but without the ability to lift samples and get away with it. Everything in that album was too clean. After that I stopped paying attention.

14 minutes ago, sweepstakes said:

No, and I am genuinely sorry that you are so utterly wrong and must resort to ad hominem to "prove" your "point". It's got a couple of bright spots but it's mostly weak, noodly shit covered up by very nice reverb. That said, I don't fault them for it because it was a transitional period, particularly for Sean. Exai had just so much more style, color, variety, and life. And they've just resumed their upward trajectory from there.

Also, Move of Ten aged much better, imo.

Yes, Move of Ten and Exai are better. But they came later. Oversteps is better than what they did before. Period. If you "can't " "see" "it", you are "totally" "wrong".

Autechre have progressed with almost every album so far, if we are being honest. It's one of the few groups that have managed to become better and better over the course of time, constantly.

8 minutes ago, Tim_J said:

Most late 60s to early 80s psy rock/prog bands henceforward...

Beck after mellow gold... odelay and midnight vultures are good albums but i really wish he hadn't changed his stoner/folk anesthetics... 

That Boards of Canada remix of Broken Drum from Guero though... whew lad.

On 9/21/2016 at 11:45 AM, NI64 said:

Fungus Amongus and S.C.I.E.N.C.E. were fucking awesome

I used to think the same but I gave those alums a try some time ago and I felt embarrassed... Same with deftones... These bands didn't really aged well for me... 

1 minute ago, dingformung said:

Autechre have progressed with almost every album so far

This is a lot more interesting to me than "ur dum if u don't liek Oversteps lol gtfo" - I would agree they progressed with Oversteps, but musically (certainly atmospherically) I think it was a noticeable step backwards from Quaristice. Now, I adore Quaristice, and I think a lot of folks who love Oversteps, like you do, may not have been so impressed with Quaristice. At the same time I completely understand, especially several albums later, how the transition to really leaning very heavily on Max has opened up huge opportunities for them, so I appreciate that. But as an artifact (i.e. album), Oversteps is comparatively weak.

For me, the only disappointment so far from the Autriche brothers has been Quaristice. Everything else I love or can at least get into, but I've never understood that album. Maybe if I give it another couple of decades ...

Edit: lol, good job synchroposting, @sweepstakes?

On 9/23/2016 at 8:29 AM, sweepstakes said:

It's been a long time since I even thought about Weezer but yeah, Pinkerton was a big disappointment for me (20 years ago lol) too. Sorely lacking in the sincerity of the blue album. Then tunes went from sounding like things they had to get out of their system to things they came up with to fulfill their contract. In a fucked up way, though, I think it was kind of ahead of its time, because the criticisms you made, which I think are accurate, could be applied to the vast majority of pop music of today.  

I love Pinkerton as much as I love blue... Production is Pinkerton is top notch and i think it's a heavier album, whatever the hell that means... Darker... Maybe it's the cover... Anyway have a bunch of b-sides from that era which are equally awesome... But yeah green was the end of Weezer for me... Then i enjoyed ozma for a while but it's nothing that i play nowadays... 

Nofx also died along the way... Still enjoy their stuff until so long and thanks for all the shoes thought. 

10 minutes ago, IDEM said:

For me, the only disappointment so far from the Autriche brothers has been Quaristice. Everything else I love or can at least get into, but I've never understood that album.

This kind of proves my point. I think there are Quaristice people and Oversteps people.

On 9/10/2016 at 3:13 PM, auxien said:

I always hoped Rivers would just disband Weezer and write pop songs. Him and Ben Folds need to start a pop-rock production team or something.

I tried listening to bf5 last month but it's also something that didn't age well for me... 

Archived