IGNORED

Massive disappointments from artists you love

Stock

3 minutes ago, sweepstakes said:

and I think a lot of folks who love Oversteps, like you do, may not have been so impressed with Quaristice

No, you are completely wrong, these two albums mean a lot to me. I think Quaristice is really great. Genuinely, I dislike rankings. I might actually like Quaristice a tad more, even if I say this carefully, but not sure here. Probably not. But again, I dislike rankings.

4 minutes ago, IDEM said:

For me, the only disappointment so far from the Autriche brothers has been Quaristice

Hmmm. That's because you live in Bavaria I guess. You guys (yes, I lump all the millions of inhabitants of that region together) are constantly wrong about everything. Your dialect sounds bad, your mannerisms are terrible, your political position, it's all terrible. Therefore your stance has no value in this discussion.

1 minute ago, sweepstakes said:

This kind of proves my point. I think there are Quaristice people and Oversteps people.

No, completely wrong.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, sweepstakes said:

This kind of proves my point. I think there are Quaristice people and Oversteps people.

I was burgering you until you came up with this small theory, I was/remained disappointed by both aside from a couple of tracks. Quaristice a bit more so, coz it was the first in line and got flaccid additions where Oversteps had MoT.

In cases of both albums among my biggest joys were low bitrate radio previews (Tankakern, rale, WNSN in horrible quality on the Wire podcast and see on see with german presentation, i heard more phantom grandeur in those).

42 minutes ago, Amen Lare said:

In cases of both albums among my biggest joys were low bitrate radio previews (Tankakern, rale, WNSN in horrible quality on the Wire podcast and see on see with german presentation, i heard more phantom grandeur in those).

I appreciate you saying this - I remember these previews as well, especially for rale. I think it still works and has some magic to it, but "phantom grandeur" is pretty accurate and makes me pine for simpler times when not everything was an HD YouTube repost away.

I still think, even just looking at the mottled landscape of synth influencers, Quaristice overall sounds more like The Future. Totally subjective, though. It came out at the same time as the great recession, so it almost feels like an alternate universe - simultaneously glimmering/forward-gazing and post-apocalyptic/cynical.

Flying Lotus after los Angeles. Probably been said already, because its true. Cosmogramma frustrates me because of the density of tracks and ideas, could have been spread over 2 albums with longer tracks. 

Definitely You're Dead for me. Was a real nosedive for LP level FlyLo (and I love hip-hop, so it ain't that). Maybe something in him being a dork that also became a thirtysomething and thereby passing a cringe threshold. Still has brilliance to give, but not solo album length.

I remember wondering why The King of Limbs wasn’t just released as a Thom Yorke solo album. It sounds like it was meant to be one but then he changed his mind and called up Jonny Greenwood at the last minute. 

I've not read the whole thread, but theres this one boc album....

Both Chrome Hoof's second album, and Super Besse's second album didn't quite have the stand out tracks their first ones did, but I dunno about /massive/ disappointment. Ritchie Hawtin's stuff after Dex Efx and 909 was kinda flat. Skream after Skream! Mogwai after Young Team

has been said around watmm, but Amon Tobin had an incredible run of early albums.. then faded a bit until ISAM which was, for me, mostly forgettable

Jemapur put out 3 amazing albums, pretty varied too.  But then everything after microsleep has been meh  https://www.discogs.com/artist/489499-Jemapur

DJ Shadow - everything after Private Press

RJD2 - everything after Deadringer

Prefuse 73 - everything after Extinguished Outtakes

Squarepusher - everything after Ultravisitor

Tortoise - everything after It's All Around You

Múm - everything after Finally We are no one

Beastie Boys - everything after Hello Nasty

Flylo - everything after Cosmogramma

Smashing Pumpkins - everything after Mellon Collie

32 minutes ago, zero said:

DJ Shadow - everything after Private Press

RJD2 - everything after Deadringer

Prefuse 73 - everything after Extinguished Outtakes

Squarepusher - everything after Ultravisitor

Tortoise - everything after It's All Around You

Múm - everything after Finally We are no one

Beastie Boys - everything after Hello Nasty

Flylo - everything after Cosmogramma

Smashing Pumpkins - everything after Mellon Collie

Adore was great! Actually like it better than Mellon Collie because a) it's not overlong and b) songs weren't overplayed. Also Mellon Collie contains the two SP single I hate the most: "Tonight, Tonight" and "1979". But after Adore? Bleh.

I've been a big fan of ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead since Source Tags & Codes (and love the preceding 2 LPs even more), but found the follow-up Worlds Apart to be a huge disappointment and still do to this day. Many fans will say it was a downturn and that everything that followed was worse, but for me, this was a true low and I've enjoyed everything since just fine. Not on the level of their first 3, but more enjoyable than Worlds Apart, which had far too many cringe moments. A massive disappointment.

This has been discussed at length on these forums, but I found Clark's Iradelphic to be a massive disappointment and he hasn't yet redeemed himself. Loved everything leading up to it, even consider Totems Flare to be his creative peak. Then...splat.

Prefuse 73's The Only She Chapters...jesus chris. For an artist with so many alter-egos he sure could have put this one under another name. I enjoyed everything before it to some degree, but this was just a disaster and I haven't really gotten into anything else he's done since, although all are certainly an improvement. 

Tortoise, The Catastrophist. I can appreciate everything before it but this was a dud.

Ween, La Cucaracha. It was definitely time to wrap it up.

I was pretty late getting into Shabazz Palaces, I think it's been a little less than 3 years since I decided to check out their albums. The debut Black Up is the unanimous stand-out, but I've enjoyed the next 3 as well. Their latest The Don of Diamond Dreams, on the other hand, is ruined by autotune on several tracks and after attempting to enjoy it a couple of times I'm calling it a massive disappointment. 

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Adore was great! Actually like it better than Mellon Collie because a) it's not overlong and b) songs weren't overplayed. Also Mellon Collie contains the two SP single I hate the most: "Tonight, Tonight" and "1979". But after Adore? Bleh.

funny how it works sometimes. Adore came out around the time I was getting into electronic music, so it should have been a fit. I don't think I ever gave it a fair shot at the time, as I was more interested in going down the rabbit hole of the DJ scene and what not. by the time I came back to give it a listen I couldn't get into it at all and gave up.

yeah, Mellon Collie is totally bloated but I have such distinct high school memories that I associate with that album. I still have the CD that I stole from my sister back then. and Siamese Dream. holy fuck I was obsessed with that back in like '94.

On 9/10/2016 at 11:09 AM, eugene said:

i was curious about orbital's per-massive disappointment phase and grabbed in sides. well, it's really embarrassing, i literally felt the urge to lower the volume so neighbors wont hear it and form impressions of me based on that. it's sounds very teenage,  videogame/demoscene kinda music. some new agey plinky plonk steel drum sound panning from left to right for 2 minutes, then some angsty acidic synth with delay joins in for another 2 minutes. intense. then a drop and a female angelic voice comes in (i can literally imagine the video game character singing this - huge boobs (natural, no silicone allowed), tiny waist, all dressed in white with intricate patterns made of silver thread, elf, can levitate). i think this music is impossible to appreciate today in a non ironic/nostalgic way.

This post made me go and check out In Sides for the first time (never listened to much Orbital) and of course its awesome and the last track "Out There Somewhere? Part 2" is just so beautiful

On 8/27/2016 at 1:35 PM, Stock said:

This thread idea came right after I had a listen of the new Mr Oizo track : End of the World ft. Skrillex. Probably the first time I was that disappointed by the new output of an artist I like, and I thought WATMM could help me getting over it. With all the hype surrounding each and every new music release lately, such disappointments are more and more common, and we'd better get prepared to them.

So here we go : post the track, and explain what's so frustrating about it, whether it's a new direction you don't like, an explicit lack of efforts in the production, an unusual cringy sense of melody...

(to me, the Oizo track was all of the above).

Yeah that song is pretty meh but the album where it's from has some great bangers... Honestly can't think of an artist that produces the same style of music as weird as his... Lots of artists from ed banger produce heavy sampled dance music but his music is pretty alien and distinct... 

also, is work as a movie maker is outstanding... one of my favorite directors...

Archived