IGNORED

Massive disappointments from artists you love

Stock

Sorry to repeat myself but I remember reading write-ups at the time about Medulla and thinking that sounds (on paper and in theory) fucking incredible. I think I burnt a copy from dial-up modem via first version Napster and wasn't too impressed.

Keep meaning to revisit Vespertine, I remember it playing round a friends house while baked on a cocktail of drugs and sitting there all holding hands and shaking like we were at a seance and murmuring about how great it was.

Time for bed Keepers of the Watmm Realm, I bid you farewell :closedeyes:

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Medulla has some gorgeous tracks on it, but overall it definitely feels like what it is - an experiment.

A couple rad choons

But mostly it's "Don't Worry Be Happy" for moody hipsters

why cuz mouth beats?

mouth beats can be used for good or for evil

I love Verspertine so much. Try to listen to Medulla every few years to see if it's still terrible, and it always is.

??? medulla is a good if not great experiment album. less interesting if you actually listen to meredith monk but my bet is that 95% of bjork fans dont or didnt. problem was that it followed one of the best works of music in the last 30 years so it was doomed to fail

Incubus: Any and everything after Morning View. Fungus Amongus and S.C.I.E.N.C.E. were fucking awesome - top notch 90's funk metal. Make Yourself was pretty cool, if a bit more poppy, and even though Morning View was a shift in style it was still unique and enjoyable. But goddamn Crow Left To the Murder and everything afterward was just so fucking bland - total copycat radio play garbage.

Get the same effect from RHCP - early albuns were groovy, and Blood Sugar Sex Magick is a masterpiece (in my opinion). Suddenly just a massive decline after that though (Probably due to Frusciante leaving)

Also mentioned before, but holy shit Infected Mushroom suck nowadays. The Gathering and Classical Mushroom are like as good as psytrance gets for me though. Tracks are just totally engaing from beginning to end - really inventive melodies, especially on Classical. Then somewhere along the line they started listening to 93X or something, I dunno. I got dragged to one of their shows a couple years ago and it was seriously just the worst. They even did a fucking Foo Fighters cover!

What the hell happened to Thrill Jocket Records...they've become a dumping ground for middling amateurish singer-songwriter tripe...it's like they got drunk and signed a bunch of YouTubers who cover Ray LaMontaine songs or make cello covers of "Get Lucky" or sumpin

I thought the first two Weezer albums were as good as music can possibly get...

...and then they turned the back on their fans and never made a good album again

although this is a popular opinion i actually think that pinkerton is incredibly disappointing. people were right to be upset at the time. sure, they may have taken it too far then, but now we've gone too far the other day where people froth over that album and ignore their first one when blue album is objectively better in basically every way. pinkerton is missing so much that made blue album awesome and offers little as compensation. for starters, the vocal harmonies are far less distinct, and basically every song is structured in the same predictable way that gets boring after repeated listens. not to mention pretty much every song is in the same key (i know rivers had a broken arm or whatever but that doesn't excuse this). 

not to say all the songs are terrible or anything, but as an album it's a 7/10 at most. there are many good parts and some great choruses but overall it just feels lazily put together. tired of sex is a great great song with a catchy riff and a distinctly different vibe to their first album whilst remaining distinctly weezer, it's really one of my favourite tunes by them but they don't seem to follow up this sound very much elsewhere on the album. 

It's been a long time since I even thought about Weezer but yeah, Pinkerton was a big disappointment for me (20 years ago lol) too. Sorely lacking in the sincerity of the blue album. Then tunes went from sounding like things they had to get out of their system to things they came up with to fulfill their contract. In a fucked up way, though, I think it was kind of ahead of its time, because the criticisms you made, which I think are accurate, could be applied to the vast majority of pop music of today.  

Antipop by Primus (Any Primus fan will say this) - thankfully they came back after that though. Just kind of a weird fluke.

The latest 2562 was quite bland compared to how sick Fever was.

That Diamond Watch Wrists album (Prefuse 73 + Zach Hill) was pretty terrible.

I'm thinking of it just now because of their recent resurgence on social networks, but Gorillaz really disappointed me with "The Fall". I never managed to consider it as a proper Gorillaz album. Interesting ideas on it for sure, but ideas alone don't make a great album :shrug:

Archived