IGNORED

Massive disappointments from artists you love

Stock

1 minute ago, zkom said:

This is for sure an unpopular opinion but I kinda want to also say the Analord series. It still feels like it's mostly just analog gear fetishism and pretty boring overall.

I actually liked Analord right away, but when it came out (and for 5+ years after), most of the tracks posted on WATMM, both from members and new releases from elsewhere, was some kind of Analord ripoff, to the point that I knew exactly what a track would sound like before listening to it - bubbly bassline, 606 hi hats, 130-140 BPM, muffled snare, some blatantly digital thing happening every 8 or 16 bars. It was a kind of a dark age for IDM.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, sweepstakes said:

I actually liked Analord right away, but when it came out (and for 5+ years after), most of the tracks posted on WATMM, both from members and new releases from elsewhere, was some kind of Analord ripoff, to the point that I knew exactly what a track would sound like before listening to it - bubbly bassline, 606 hi hats, 130-140 BPM, muffled snare, some blatantly digital thing happening every 8 or 16 bars. It was a kind of a dark age for IDM.

I felt the same for sure. But it also happened earlier with BoC that every other person was throwing together a bunch of detuned synths with hip hop beats. That crowd has since moved to Twoism I guess :dadjoke:

3 hours ago, zkom said:

In case people haven't heard From A Distance, here it is. A pretty long way from Orbus Terrarum..

Surely the esteened Dr Paterson was taking the pish here? Tongue firmly placed in cheek and all? (But yeah, doesn't really make it more enjoyable.)

Also, I was incredibly stoked for Mathew Jonson's first album after his massive run of absolutely brilliant 12''es in the noughties, but it didn't deliver, and neither did the follow-up. Too much aimless noodling and meandering. So that would be the rare case of an artist who managed to disappoint and defy expectations with his first LP.

17 hours ago, perunamuusi said:

boc after MHTRTC

7 hours ago, zazen said:

Just being honest - sorry everyone - didn't like BOC's  Geogaddi. Only two decent tracks - Music is Math and 1969. So that was a major disappointment after mhtrtc. Their later stuff I find OK, like listenable. Their later stuff is - as Fredd McGriff said - like a good album by Air. But nothing groundshaking.

Oh man. For me MHTRTC and Geogaddi are on the same level of greatness. 

16 hours ago, markedone said:

I probably tried to convince you in the thread, but imo the Don is an excellent album. 'tune or not, good music is good music and this one is even more fresh and singular stuff (they still sound like nobody else making music)

You probably did. Autotune is just that one thing for me that can quickly ruin an album and render me incapable of looking past it. Do we have a thread for this phenomenon? ?

16 hours ago, d-a-m-o said:

Jackson and his computer band - Glow

What a fucking letdown, Smash was one of the best french albums of the 2000s, then 8 years after, this...

:cerious:

I'm more let down that he hasn't made a peep since that album came out. I thought it had some really good high points, but also some really forgettable tracks. Smash is brilliant.

I need to listen to the more Orb, I've yet to find an album I like better than Ultraworld, but I did get a kick out of Orb on Kompakt, and their last two aren't too bad, but Wolfbane is a massive, yet beautiful ironically meme masterpiece/disappointment.

On 8/4/2020 at 12:05 AM, zazen said:

This post made me go and check out In Sides for the first time (never listened to much Orbital) and of course its awesome and the last track "Out There Somewhere? Part 2" is just so beautiful

Although when I consider that In Sides came out in the same year as Aphex's Richard D James album, its kindof astonishing how different they sound. But they are aiming for very different things I guess. In Sides definitely sounds like the 90s, whereas the RDJ album sounds like it could have been made yesterday. And then from this distance 25 years later it doesnt matter anyway, I can appreciate them both.

1 hour ago, Ivan Ooze said:

everyone single artist out there except president kanye

Yeah, Kanye himself is a massive disappointment, let alone his music. (IMO)

Archived