IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

If this thread gains real steam, I'm sure it will make it to Trump's radar. The Trump hate will no doubt infuriate are narcissist in chief. He can't not want to be adored and praised. In doing so, he's gonna troll us hard. Very hard. We'll be lumped in with CNN, constant watmm hate tweets, Federal investigations, golden showers, etc. But, any publicity will be good publicity for watmm amirite?

So far it's just some distant news. Might have some indirect impact on my work through world economy as I work in a company that heavily relies on exports. Not probably going to the US for a holiday anytime soon, I guess.

Local, national and EU politics have much more direct impact on my life. The wave of populism seems to be already passing over here in Finland with the major populist party losing more than half of its supporters since the last elections so the municipal elections this year will probably cause a powershift away from the them.

now that trump is president: 

scientists will be marching in washington to protest the silencing of key federal science agencies and freezing grants. oh, and rogue scientists should be arrested

also looking forward to more journalists being arrested and facing 'inappropriate' rioting charges for covering events that don't make the current president look good.

trump to accept payments from foreign governments

also, LGBT: lol at all you've been working hard for

btw: does anyone love how when trump makes a statement like this, the person they're accusing of making that statement stays mum? can't the person that does chelsea manning's tweets chime in with chelsea manning's statement? 

i guess it's just better if they don't then that way, the right can say trump is right and we can say he's wrong with each side presenting evidence from "fake" news sources

The foot traffic near trump tower.

The desire to join the New Black Panthers or something.

The desire for firearms.

Female students crying.

Student came out as trans, unsure if related.

Increased mailings from Planned Parenthood; I donated to them once.

Edited by doublename

Leaky stuff:

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/1/26/14392530/trump-executive-orders-leaked-aides-immigration-torture-wall-black-site-deportation

One Trump aide told Politico Sunday that the new president “gets bored and likes to watch TV,” while others told the New York Times that Trump’s “lack of discipline troubled even senior members of Mr. Trump’s circle.”

instead of telling news sources, they need to make these statements themselves (either on tv or something) because this is news that needs to go to his supporters who think he works VERY hard

also, how funny is that gag order for certain science organizations? real good stuff there

One thing I find amazing is that on the international relations world nobody really has the cojones to just say out loud that they think Trump is a joke and refuse dollaboration with the US administration until he's out. It may hurt in the short term but would help everyone. Like why not?

I think Mexico just did that.

If this thread gains real steam, I'm sure it will make it to Trump's radar. The Trump hate will no doubt infuriate are narcissist in chief. He can't not want to be adored and praised. In doing so, he's gonna troll us hard. Very hard. We'll be lumped in with CNN, constant watmm hate tweets, Federal investigations, golden showers, etc. But, any publicity will be good publicity for watmm amirite?

thats creepy.. do you think he and his ppl really read all the trending stuff that mentions him? seems like it would be a massive waste of manpower lol

seems like it would be a massive waste of manpower lol

this IS the complete moron that signed an executive order to build a border wall recently though?

lol

thats creepy.. do you think he and his ppl really read all the trending stuff that mentions him? seems like it would be a massive waste of manpower lol

then again.....

The most frightening thing for me is the rise in ignorance and anti-intellectualism, along with complete detachment from to reason, common sense, and objective reality.  And morality, ethics, justice, etc., but I could go on.

Politics has always been bullshit be we on some quantum leap steez here

The most frightening thing for me is the rise in ignorance and anti-intellectualism, along with complete detachment from to reason, common sense, and objective reality.  And morality, ethics, justice, etc., but I could go on.

+1. 

I talk about this with other like minded co-workers. Young & Old. I chalk it up to a lot of religious zealots funding "their candidate" for their anti whatever bullshit, simmering racism, fear of terrorism & greed. Might have to quote Kevin Spacey "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist". I ponder that quite a bit nowadays.

as a white male and born american citizen i doubt i'll notice much in the way of day to day changes affecting my life other than media coverage. i fear for minorities and women since there's a bunch of bible thumping, corporate nut jobs running most of the gov't and picking scotus

Same here. I feel sorry for my wife. I am concerned for my Hispanic co-workers. I fear for my family members in the military. 

The thing is, the lack of real consequence for us is exactly why Trump recruited so many as supporters. They voted with cynicism and "fuck it" attitudes just as if not more than voters with more sinister motives. They have far less to lose with the false hope they'll somehow benefit.

+1. 

I talk about this with other like minded co-workers. Young & Old. I chalk it up to a lot of religious zealots funding "their candidate" for their anti whatever bullshit, simmering racism, fear of terrorism & greed. Might have to quote Kevin Spacey "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist". I ponder that quite a bit nowadays.

I have close relatives who voted for Trump.  It's baffling and frustrating. They are good, nice people. They are fairly intelligent. They don't espouse any of his nastiness, disdain, and hatred toward anyone in real life or even in most things they do as citizens. But their political alignments and decisions have real consequences and we're seeing that play out.

How did this happen? Echo chamber news and social media, detachment from empathy toward anyone outside of close kin and friends, desire for simple and black and white answers over nuanced complicated ones.

Liberals do this too, but the big difference is their attitudes are less dangerous and damaging. Obama did not anything this extreme in anyway. Bush was extreme but in a more specific and less widespread way...and without much of the same immorality Trump embraces.

They channel all of their concerns, disappointments, etc. into one perspective with common themes: blaming government, particularly federal. Blaming the media, mainstream especially. Switching from concerns of terrorism and insecurity from global to a local/national level. And they literally keep voting in the same people screwing them over (the GOP) because they've convinced themselves Democrats are worse.

Edited by joshuatx

The fixation on terror has always bugged me. People who live in places no terrorist can find on a map are more concerned with terror than people who could be blown tf up any given day. 

as a white male and born american citizen i doubt i'll notice much in the way of day to day changes affecting my life other than media coverage. i fear for minorities and women since there's a bunch of bible thumping, corporate nut jobs running most of the gov't and picking scotus

Same here. I feel sorry for my wife. I am concerned for my Hispanic co-workers. I fear for my family members in the military. 

The thing is, the lack of real consequence for us is exactly why Trump recruited so many as supporters. They voted with cynicism and "fuck it" attitudes just as if not more than voters with more sinister motives. They have far less to lose with the false hope they'll somehow benefit.

+1. 

I have close relatives who voted for Trump.  It's baffling and frustrating. They are good, nice people. They are fairly intelligent. They don't espouse any of his nastiness, disdain, and hatred toward anyone in real life or even in most things they do as citizens. But their political alignments and decisions have real consequences and we're seeing that play out.

How did this happen? Echo chamber news and social media, detachment from empathy toward anyone outside of close kin and friends, desire for simple and black and white answers over nuanced complicated ones.

Liberals do this too, but the big difference is their attitudes are less dangerous and damaging. Obama did not anything this extreme in anyway. Bush was extreme but in a more specific and less widespread way...and without much of the same immorality Trump embraces.

They channel all of their concerns, disappointments, etc. into one perspective with common themes: blaming government, particularly federal. Blaming the media, mainstream especially. Switching from concerns of terrorism and insecurity from global to a local/national level. And they literally keep voting in the same people screwing them over (the GOP) because they've convinced themselves Democrats are worse.

Naw, I hear you Josh. I was just making a generalization of how I see this country at the moment. I was not shocked spray tan- in - chief got elected. I saw all the signs in the ground zero of Macomb County, MI. (One of the 3 counties that put him over). I heard the same thing at family functions. But, I cannot say many are intelligent people. Many huff pubs off Michael Savage, Nugent or Rush Limbaugh's dick. Amongst other racially distasteful views...Racism is alive & well trust me.

My Wife works with many conservative folk. She hears it all. It's the "not looking at the big picture" that concerns me. She hears "I'm Pro-Life, I'm voting for Trump". "Muslicans bad, voting trump". "Gay marriage, no way, voting trump". "Hillary sent emails, voting Trump". "Ther'ye gonna take my guns, voting Trump". It's these microcosms that are forming their macrocosms. It just doesn't compute to me. Take in all the data, then inform your opinion.

But yea...you summed it up more succinctly.

Edited by olo

+1. 

Naw, I hear you Josh. I was just making a generalization of how I see this country at the moment. I was not shocked spray tan- in - chief got elected. I saw all the signs in the ground zero of Macomb County, MI. (One of the 3 counties that put him over). I heard the same thing at family functions. But, I cannot say many are intelligent people. Many huff pubs off Michael Savage, Nugent or Rush Limbaugh's dick. Amongst other racially distasteful views...Racism is alive & well trust me.

My Wife works with many conservative folk. She hears it all. It's the "not looking at the big picture" that concerns me. She hears "I'm Pro-Life, I'm voting for Trump". "Muslicans bad, voting trump". "Gay marriage, no way, voting trump". "Hillary sent emails, voting Trump". "Ther'ye gonna take my guns, voting Trump". It's these microcosms that are forming their macrocosms. It just doesn't compute to me. Take in all the data, then inform your opinion.

But yea...you summed it up more succinctly.

You fleshed it out more than I did though, I know exactly what you mean.

This is a bigger shitshow than I had anticipated.

I was betting he'd fill the cabinet with iffy but workable technocrats and double down on a lot of his campaign promises. I was so wrong. Hell I think I would of preferred Ted Cruz over him and I never, never thought I'd say that.