IGNORED

Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.

So what's the difference between this and every other trap album in the top 40 right now? There's clearly something I'm not picking up on.

I liked TPAB and GKMC but this is doing absolutely nothing for me, sorry.

I wonder that about Young Thug, who people I know seem to love. DAMN doesn't sound very trap to me. Then again I don't really know anymore.  :shrug:

So what's the difference between this and every other trap album in the top 40 right now? There's clearly something I'm not picking up on.

I liked TPAB and GKMC but this is doing absolutely nothing for me, sorry.

I wonder that about Young Thug, who people I know seem to love. DAMN doesn't sound very trap to me. Then again I don't really know anymore. :shrug:

Thugga unlocks flows like a fracking well.

Edited by doublename

actually after 1l of vodka while sitting in a swamp near my hometown and listening to this I realized that kendrick is still really good- 8/10 but beats are like 4/10 so that`s the problem, leeches are everywhere

true story btw

I'm having mixed feelings about this record. I was underwhelmed at first, then overwhelmed after 3-4 listens. Now i really like track 2, 3 and 4 and it kinda goes falls apart after that for me. There are some great moments past track 4 but i don't know if any of those songs work as a whole. I don't know why there are articles bragging about the track "PRIDE" being produced on an iphone, because it really shows. A friend of mine thought that track was the U2 cameo and they just took a U2 instrumental and slowed it down.

"HUMBLE" sounds like it was produced on an iphone too. The verses sound good but there is a cheapness to the instrumental that i don't like.
I'm also weary of everyone's "greatest rapper alive" talk. MF DOOM, Andre 3000, Vince Staples, Earl Sweatshirt and Danny Brown all spring to mind as living rappers that i prefer.

Edited by omnii

Yeah, I could also do with less of the Mr. 1-5, greatest rapper ever, and Kung Fu Kenny schtick on this record. I think DNA and YAH are my favorites I think, but I also like LOVE and DUCKWORTH. I agree with omnii that a lot (most?) of the songs dont really work well as a whole. He says on here that he feels like he's losing his focus and I think I gotta agree. I can sympathize with that though, you cant hit a home run every time.

On a side note, that reversed talk box stuff at the beginning & throughout really makes me think of OPN's Garden of Delete for some reason, and it makes me like that song a lot more.

• 1 month later...

Ok so tbh i've never much liked hip hop. I know that's pretty reaching but i'm just goin by what i've heard and it never resonated, but this album works for me. FEAR and LUST are my personal faves, especially FEAR...tugs at me heartstrings. Dunno what else to compare his stuff to (even though i had my rotations of To Pimp A Butterfly as well), but i can see how well done his raps and verses are. Real storytelling through music. I think i played the album shuffled and repeated for a whole month pretty regularly. My caucasian soul was touched. I especially like the tricks he does with reversing tracks, i've always had a fetish for stuff played backwards

Only beef i have is this:

How you gunna talk about "fourteen tracks, carried out over wax" when there's no vinyl release jk, apparently it was pressed, i kinda want it. However, what still sucks is this fucking dude shouting in every track..."ANOTHER WORRRRLD PREMIERE" god, it's awful and the essence of what sucks in hip hop that i hear today. For the rest of the tracks to sound so mature and carefully produced, and then that shit ugh

Edited by BoomTssPhace

^Having Kid Capri all over the album was kind of a nostalgia trip for me. It doesn't add much, but it's like discovering a lost mixtape/DJ album from 2001.

I'd like like to think Kendrick had Soundtrack to the Streets and The Professional in middle school -

RIP Prodigy

i take it all back, i like the album alot now but loyalty is like the weakest track imo

Edited by doublename

Just bought myself a new Nissan Rogue. Sound system is boomin'. My boys and I were listening to DNA. We went off when the second part hit... That's all I have to offer to this thread.

i friggin love this album

i take it all back, i like the album alot now but loyalty is like the weakest track imo

bruuuh no fuckin way, that bass alone on that track makes it one of the best

I'm sorry man, I can't stand Rihanna.

Edit - I also love Humble for sounding like an old 3 6 Mafia track.

Edited by doublename

I was so hyped on this that i bought the limited vinyl when it was available. It ships out next month sometime.

At this point i am so over most of these tracks that i am only looking forward to selling it. I have never sold a record before but i know it's valuable and i'm not going to listen to it. DNA, YAH and ELEMENT still sound good to me, but i have no interest in revisiting any of the rest of the record at this point. 

Edit - I also love Humble for sounding like an old 3 6 Mafia track.

Needs moar triplet flow

After having listened to this a bunch on my own and with my wife, the only track I dislike is Pride.

The album sounds good but it wears off really quick. Tbh it doesn't stick to begin with because he ruined the songs with u2 and fucking reversed vocals among other weird choices. His delivery isn't impressive either, just occasionnally. The philosophy behind it an the punchlines could be stronger too. 

I listened to it countless times when it came out but it's been weeks, maybe monhts since I touched it.

Edited by Allize