IGNORED

UK General Erextion

Soloman Tump

I get the point with the university thing, but it should be the entry requirements that are increased to drop numbers, not money. The system of only kids with rich mummys and daddys going to university is abhorrent to me

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

to be fair messaien, in my experience that's not the case. many people from all walks of life go to uni...rich, poor, makes little difference to being able to go to A university in the UK. the more prestigious ones are harder to attend if you're from a poorer background - still though, it's not impossible and cambridge, oxford etc all do have entry programs for less well off students.

I dont know a single student at the moment who can work less than 25 hours a week to survive, if they havent got financial help from their parents, and working 25 hours is going to seriously tax you if you are studying something incredibly difficult. And i live in a cheap city.

i went to uni as a "mature" (i was 26 and not at all mature) student from 2003 - 2006 and i worked about 24 hours a week yeah...didn't see anything bad about that to be honest - it's what you do innit. i also had a student loan plus bank loans (all now paid off) and actually felt pretty well off. probably could've survived without working to be honest, but wouldn't have been able to have the kind of lifestyle i wanted. i managed to juggle both degree and work without too much difficulty, and didn't feel aggreived about having to like, do some work to get some money. it's also really good experience for when people leave uni to have done some real work and have it on their CV. i don't believe uni should be some kind of 3 year doss that the government pays for - it wouldn't really be helping anyone if that were the case.

I dunno man, my degree was too hard either way but it would have been utterly impossible if i had been needing to work 4 days a week. Either way i still think a rise in intectual standard is a fairer way to sort the wheat from the chaff than money, further educationwise.

I actually only paid 1000 a year for my degree back in 2009. A also got a 2000 scholarship so i was feeling pretty cushty. Think i spent half of that on cdjs

Fully agree, part of me has always wondered if NuLab's enthusiasm for mass university enrolment was just an effort to fiddle employment stats. I knew tonnes of people who really shouldn't have gone to uni - but didn't really go there out of any conscious choice either. In secondary school in the early 2000s we were effectively brainwashed; I remember countless assemblies and other talks that essentially went: You HAVE to go to uni to amount to anything in life. Alternatives were just never presented to us as options. So shitloads of kids went off to take bullshit sociology courses, genuinely thinking that it'd be a ticket to a comfortable middle class life (because that's what they were told), but actually just impoverishing themselves and wasting three years they could have put to much better use training for the trades. Knowing some of those people quite well, I can honestly say they'd have been much happier if they'd instead taken (or been able to take) a carpentry apprenticeship or suchlike

oh man, I remember all this, looking back it was very weird how it was a path pushed so hard considering the state we're in now. I lucked out but most all of my friends from university are in unrelated workplaces but with a chunk of their payslip off to the loan company every month. They wonder why they bothered, but the three years puts them "a cut above the rest" who decided not go for entry level career applications, which is barmy.

In secondary school in the early 2000s we were effectively brainwashed; I remember countless assemblies and other talks that essentially went: You HAVE to go to uni to amount to anything in life.

it's true though, i mean you can learn some sort of a trade outside of uni that will get you a deece enough income, but to be a fully functioning human being in a modern world capable of critical reasoning, writing, proper critical reading and comprehension, ability to form and present a logical argument, awareness of politics and their influence on your and others' lives -  you have to dip into the academic world. academy produces a whole different class of people.

In secondary school in the early 2000s we were effectively brainwashed; I remember countless assemblies and other talks that essentially went: You HAVE to go to uni to amount to anything in life.

to be a fully functioning human being in a modern world capable of critical reasoning, writing, proper critical reading and comprehension, ability to form and present a logical argument, awareness of politics and their influence on your and others' lives - you have to dip into the academic world. academy produces a whole different class of people.
this is the biggest load of shit i've read on this site in a long time

to be a fully functioning human being in a modern world capable of critical reasoning, writing, proper critical reading and comprehension, ability to form and present a logical argument, awareness of politics and their influence on your and others' lives - you have to dip into the academic world. academy produces a whole different class of people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuYMsDwl2xw

shhh he probably went to magic university thinking power school and will destroy u with his whole different class of peopleness

it's true though, i mean you can learn some sort of a trade outside of uni that will get you a deece enough income, but to be a fully functioning human being in a modern world capable of critical reasoning, writing, proper critical reading and comprehension, ability to form and present a logical argument, awareness of politics and their influence on your and others' lives -  you have to dip into the academic world. academy produces a whole different class of people.

lol.

I think eugene might be in a completely separate class of his own. Not just intellectually, but also biologically. And especially, emotionally. A misunderstood empathetic genius, if you will.

/sarcasm

I presume you chaps have seen and heard Dianne Abbott doing the rounds? Lmfao :lol: 

Labour are gonna get destroyed at this election.

Archived