IGNORED

AI - The artificial intelligence thread

YO303

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, logakght said:

This might be funny, but it is also incredibly sad how (sorry for the words) fucking stupid Sillicon Valley is getting, not because AI spitting complete nonsense, but because they are still pushing this useless garbage as the next big thing. I decided to cancel my sub to ChatGPT and will try Claude, but actually I'm starting to avoid anything AI related by now.

I agree, still do not see it as anything more than image generators, chat bots, and very sophisticated forms of auto-complete essentially. I see nothing resembling human intelligence (granted that is a difficult thing to even define let alone understand). Also saw an interesting thought in a social media post, where the person was just saying that the industry itself rather than clients or consumers are creating the demand for so-called AI products. Their point I think was that most people are not even asking for these products and its just the people developing the technology and its attendant products who are forcing the product on society and marketing it with bogus claims and some kind of mysterious aura of how the technology is going to 'change everything.'

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, logakght said:

Just to add a bit, I feel that desperation to just fucking be the numbah one instead of actually creating USEFUL technology. 

Cross-post with the "capitalism is evil" thread?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Farnsworth 1

2 minutes ago, EdamAnchorman said:

Cross-post with the "capitalism is evil" thread?

maybe, yeah I just saw the shoes with wheels from the thread.

55 minutes ago, logakght said:

I feel that desperation to just fucking be the numbah one instead of actually creating USEFUL technology. 

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

2 minutes ago, usagi said:

huge fucking misstep.

there are few worse things they could have done to undermine their trustworthiness than partner with Murdoch media.

Yeah, fuck Sam Altman—now I completely understand Ilya's departure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, logakght said:

Yeah, fuck Sam Altman—now I completely understand Ilya's departure.

He seems to flat out lie a lot.

4 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

He seems to flat out lie a lot.

Yes. I've encountered many stories about how he acts in a borderline psychopath way in business.. But hey! That's the American way.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, decibal cooper said:

I agree, still do not see it as anything more than image generators, chat bots, and very sophisticated forms of auto-complete essentially. I see nothing resembling human intelligence (granted that is a difficult thing to even define let alone understand). Also saw an interesting thought in a social media post, where the person was just saying that the industry itself rather than clients or consumers are creating the demand for so-called AI products. Their point I think was that most people are not even asking for these products and its just the people developing the technology and its attendant products who are forcing the product on society and marketing it with bogus claims and some kind of mysterious aura of how the technology is going to 'change everything.'

you mean, nobody was asking for clothes with AI generated designs?

pr-3200.webp

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

ffs @ these google search results... i mean yeah, we're laughing about it. but it's actually genuinely fucking horrifying. the irresponsibility is just staggering.

f f s

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jaderpansen said:

ffs @ these google search results... i mean yeah, we're laughing about it. but it's actually genuinely fucking horrifying. the irresponsibility is just staggering.

f f s

and META doing bot comments in people's fb pages etc.. 

s9wBquf.jpeg6kmBTm2.jpegpR2cTPx.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, decibal cooper said:

Members of DHS Artificial Intelligence Safety & Security Board

Press release from official DHS website

yeah, staff regulating authorities mainly with ppl who are supposed to be regulated, what could go wrong? ...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ignatius said:

1fce292292371fe5561507d7f44930f2a8caf15b

i like this.

one of my biggest interests in all this AI shit is the discussion and definitions it's forcing us to wrestle with in a public way. we do not understand our own intelligence or consciousness, that of the creatures and life all around us....having the power to create something from scratch that's analogous is going to help us learn about our own minds. if those creations surpass us (already happening to some limited perspectives) then...yeah, we're going to have to learn, quickly, i think. or, i hope?

it's similar to a kid befriending a pig or a chicken or whatever then suddenly realizing that's equivalent to bacon, or a chicken finger...it's that snap of reality.

• Like 4
  • Big Brain 1

1 hour ago, auxien said:

i like this.

one of my biggest interests in all this AI shit is the discussion and definitions it's forcing us to wrestle with in a public way. we do not understand our own intelligence or consciousness, that of the creatures and life all around us....having the power to create something from scratch that's analogous is going to help us learn about our own minds. if those creations surpass us (already happening to some limited perspectives) then...yeah, we're going to have to learn, quickly, i think. or, i hope?

it's similar to a kid befriending a pig or a chicken or whatever then suddenly realizing that's equivalent to bacon, or a chicken finger...it's that snap of reality.

otoh I find it frustrating how incapable we seem to be able to wrestle with this as a public. our society is dominated by a craven political class, techno hucksters, and a media that is hardly more than a marketing department for those who use the system to dominate and hoard wealth. to whom do we turn to actually offer insight into all this powerful new technology? I’d like to be hopeful with you that we’ll be forced to grow to a greater understanding of human nature or something but it’s hard not to be cynical. we still have oppressed people struggling for basic rights like trans people in the US, why would some computer be the thing that finally gets us to dig a little deeper? look also at the grotesque ways people treat other intelligent life forms that occupy this planet - with indifference, torture, exploitation. i genuinely struggle to see AI as anything but a tool of the powerful to further expand their brutal rule and enrich themselves. the people will get scraps to help them organize the files on the computer or write their essays or whatever. 

• Like 4

^^ agree; AI (+ ufos, quantum physics & climate change etc.) invites us to supplant our entrenched & dogmatic rationalist hegemony, to better understand consciousness as a non-material, non-local phenomena

• Like 2