IGNORED

AI - The artificial intelligence thread

YO303

NVIDIA today announced the general availability of NVIDIA ACE generative AI microservices to accelerate the next wave of digital humans, as well as new generative AI breakthroughs coming soon to the platform.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 4

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Nebraska said:

NVIDIA today announced the general availability of NVIDIA ACE generative AI microservices to accelerate the next wave of digital humans, as well as new generative AI breakthroughs coming soon to the platform.

waoh, definitely these people are dumb as fuck.

• Farnsworth 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, luke viia said:

^ decent article commenting on the neat little hell on earth that is nvidia's vision for the future:

https://www.techradar.com/computing/i-watched-nvidias-computex-2024-keynote-and-it-made-my-blood-run-cold

I think the worst part of Huang's keynote wasn't that none of this mattered, it's that I don't think anyone in Huang's position is really thinking about any of this at all. I hope they're not, which at least means it's possible they can be convinced to change course. The alternative is that they do not care, which is a far darker problem for the world.

they don't care. .or they think Ai will solve those problems that it's going to create. 

the bit about the glacier retreating over the mountains leaving india high and dry is no joke. the Ganges river's days are numbered.  india and china will have to come to some kind of deal, build a huge infrastructure project to keep the water headed towards india or that ancient river and all that it means to india is going to be a tiny pissing stream at best. at least that's what it looks like based on their own markings on the rocks with dates written on the marks. 

also irrigation of ground water, like many countries, is on fast forward. 

https://www.downtoearth.org.in/news/climate-change/indo-gangetic-plain-drying-up-water-storage-declined-stream-flow-rose-in-ganga-indus-basins-last-year-says-wmo-86269

https://e360.yale.edu/features/himalayas-glaciers-climate-change

https://www.nature.com/articles/s43017-020-00124-w

https://www.nature.com/articles/s43247-024-01348-0

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-019-1240-1

3 minutes ago, logakght said:

waoh, definitely these people are dumb as fuck.

they're living in a fantasy. drunk on stock gains and "ermergerrrdd.. look at muh chips"

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 2

i'm really curious to see just how hard this stuff is going to crash once these 'AI products' like W11 Recall, 'digital humans,' ChatGPT 5xxx+ whatever, etc. start flooding into the real world and are just....useless/userless/unproductive. i know there's some niche uses for some aspects, no doubt, but widespread use of these things just...idk maybe i'm out of touch but it seems like there's no one actually wanting or having any need to use the bulk of this crap. i've got a sense that most of the people who are ever going to use these things are already using these early versions. maybe i'm wrong and the 'digital person as a customer service rep' thing will work well and be a huge issue, idk, it feels like this is all going to sputter out over the next few years.

• Like 2

I wonder how much percentage of the internet is already polluted with ai generated language content which is not marked as such. My guess is:

Twitter: 30%
reddit: depending on subreddit and moderation: 10-30%
facebook: 30+% maybe even more 
instagram: 5-10%

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, auxien said:

i'm really curious to see just how hard this stuff is going to crash once these 'AI products' like W11 Recall, 'digital humans,' ChatGPT 5xxx+ whatever, etc. start flooding into the real world and are just....useless/userless/unproductive. i know there's some niche uses for some aspects, no doubt, but widespread use of these things just...idk maybe i'm out of touch but it seems like there's no one actually wanting or having any need to use the bulk of this crap. i've got a sense that most of the people who are ever going to use these things are already using these early versions. maybe i'm wrong and the 'digital person as a customer service rep' thing will work well and be a huge issue, idk, it feels like this is all going to sputter out over the next few years.

I don't think it will necessarily crash completely. people also argued the internet was superfluous and overhyped. there might be a bubble and pop as there with the dotcom bust in the late 90s/2000 but, as with most new technologies, companies and consumers will find a way to force it to become part of a new norm whether it's a good idea or not. it all remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, usagi said:

I don't think it will necessarily crash completely. people also argued the internet was superfluous and overhyped. there might be a bubble and pop as there with the dotcom bust in the late 90s/2000 but, as with most new technologies, companies and consumers will find a way to force it to become part of a new norm whether it's a good idea or not. it all remains to be seen.

you’re not wrong…i’ve made cases for some AI/ML technology definitely having a future (somewhere in my bloated meandering bullshittery chatter ITT) but AI being ‘the next big thing’ seems overblown by a lot. i’m not a visionary on that shit tho so i’m probably missing some future popular use cases for it by the general public? maybe? idk tho, seems like it’s going to sputter and go flaccid if not fully crash. 

xpost w/ What If I Told You thread, i thought flaccid was spelled with one c, not two. 

Posted (edited)

I mean we unlocked androids like in Star Wars basically. I think that’s where is about to go

next step will be to 3D print them:

So you can have printed the ones you need or print them yourself. Battery tech is also there already so it just needs to come together 

Edited by o00o

the other night i was at a restaurant sat like a foot or two (that's kilometers for you lads and chavs reading this) from the table to my left. this table of 4 spent the evening talking about their tech jobs (3 of them worked together) and the current workplace scandal in which they all had to focus their efforts on building this new product that had already been sold to clients. this project was marketed as "AI" but they explained to the 4th person at the table (and, to me and my girlfriend*) that it was "not AI at all" and was "100% manually built software" that their company simply had to offer as AI bc "that's what everyone in the industry wants right now."

this about sums up how stupid this shit is, to me.

* yes, i have one

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Eric Schmidt, the former CEO of Google, is quietly developing AI-powered combat drones through his secretive venture, initially known as White Stork and now rumored to be called Project Eagle. This initiative aims to revolutionize military technology by creating drones that leverage artificial intelligence for precise target identification and engagement in complex battlefield environments.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sarahemerson/2024/06/06/eric-schmidt-is-secretly-testing-ai-military-drones-in-a-wealthy-silicon-valley-suburb/

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/eric-schmidts-ai-combat-drones-detailed-analysis-igor-van-gemert-l8kwe

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Big Brain 1

On 6/6/2024 at 5:46 AM, luke viia said:

^ decent article commenting on the neat little hell on earth that is nvidia's vision for the future:

https://www.techradar.com/computing/i-watched-nvidias-computex-2024-keynote-and-it-made-my-blood-run-cold

This article is pathetic and senseless.  Half of it's dystopian fiction based on a product demo that is only mildly better than Kinect's Milo, the rest is some kind of enviro-humanist virtue signalling with the vague demand that Nvidia be the first company in history to provide tech products that can only be used in ethical ways.

You can probably make these avatars pour tomato sauce over the Mona Lisa or glue themselves to the I-40, but that's not a reasonable way to market one of the biggest and fastest growing tech companies in recent memory. Not that this is much better, they're just desperately throwing shit at the wall in the hope that it'll keep the circus going. 

• Farnsworth 1

18 hours ago, Nebraska said:

Eric Schmidt, the former CEO of Google, is quietly developing AI-powered combat drones through his secretive venture, initially known as White Stork and now rumored to be called Project Eagle. This initiative aims to revolutionize military technology by creating drones that leverage artificial intelligence for precise target identification and engagement in complex battlefield environments.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sarahemerson/2024/06/06/eric-schmidt-is-secretly-testing-ai-military-drones-in-a-wealthy-silicon-valley-suburb/

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/eric-schmidts-ai-combat-drones-detailed-analysis-igor-van-gemert-l8kwe

Yeah quite the money-over-lives asshole I imagined

19 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

(that's kilometers for you lads and chavs reading this)

also bogans

Posted (edited)

yeah. so back in 2014 "smart" people (read: bullshit consultants that make way too much money for what they're doing) predicted that in 5 to 10 years "natural language questions answering" would be at the "plateau of productivity". and then transformers/LLMs happened. i guess we're still - or again? - in the "peak of inflated expectations"? there's a couple more BS prediction-points in this graph. 

tbh, not quite sure why i bother you with this nonsense. but consider it positive feedback. people in this thread make more sense than these bs consultants. that doesn't make you right, or anything. it's all speculation, obvsly. but those 6 figures white collar people can kiss your *ss. (and we can kiss theirs in terms of bank account)

1680714659145?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=MPpu

Edited by Satans Little Helper
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

the other night i was at a restaurant sat like a foot or two (that's kilometers for you lads and chavs reading this) from the table to my left. this table of 4 spent the evening talking about their tech jobs (3 of them worked together) and the current workplace scandal in which they all had to focus their efforts on building this new product that had already been sold to clients. this project was marketed as "AI" but they explained to the 4th person at the table (and, to me and my girlfriend*) that it was "not AI at all" and was "100% manually built software" that their company simply had to offer as AI bc "that's what everyone in the industry wants right now."

this about sums up how stupid this shit is, to me.

* yes, i have one

Confirmed from the other side of the transaction. Senior leaders at my company are harping on everyone to "use AI" as much as they can.  However, they have neither sufficient know-how nor resources to actually support us in doing anything meaningful.  They're just fulfilling a directive on their yearly goals & objectives.  In turn, those under them scramble to comply with the dumbass directive and must have something to show, hence what you overheard.

4 minutes ago, EdamAnchorman said:

Confirmed from the other side of the transaction. Senior leaders at my company are harping on everyone to "use AI" as much as they can.  However, they have neither sufficient know-how nor resources to actually support us in doing anything meaningful.  They're just fulfilling a directive on their yearly goals & objectives.  In turn, those under them scramble to comply with the dumbass directive and must have something to show, hence what you overheard.

I bet Sean has had to sit down with Rob on more than one occasion, pointing to Rob’s macbook, saying “you’re not even using enough AI. the beats aren’t fucked up enough, there’s not enough nostalgia in the pads, we need our number up!” 

2 hours ago, usagi said:

also bogans

*nodding, for sure knowing what a bogan is*

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

someone should start a "BI" company just for shits and giggles. proclaim it does everything AI can but better!

8 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

I bet Sean has had to sit down with Rob on more than one occasion, pointing to Rob’s macbook, saying “you’re not even using enough AI. the beats aren’t fucked up enough, there’s not enough nostalgia in the pads, we need our number up!” 

*nodding, for sure knowing what a bogan is*

British origin Greco-Americans. 

Not really AI but this shit really fall right into the same category. Next step is to give it some kind of gun

Edited by o00o
  • Confused 1

lcimg_ca61fcb8_ae16_4dcb_8b5a_e5ca6510cf

Apple announced “Apple Intelligence” at WWDC 2024, its name for a new suite of AI features for the iPhone, Mac, and more. Starting later this year, Apple is rolling out what it says is a more conversational Siri, custom, AI-generated “Genmoji,” and GPT-4o access that lets Siri turn to OpenAI’s chatbot when it can’t handle what you ask it for.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/6/10/24175405/wwdc-apple-ai-news-features-ios-18-macos-15-iphone-ipad-mac

• Big Brain 1

Kling AI, developed by Chinese tech giant Kuaishou Technology, is a groundbreaking text-to-video generation model that has captured global attention for its ability to create highly realistic videos from text prompts. Surpassing many of its competitors, including OpenAI's anticipated Sora model, Kling AI leverages advanced 3D reconstruction technology to produce vivid, lifelike videos up to two minutes long, setting a new benchmark in AI-driven video creation.

https://kling.kuaishou.com/

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/305468/20240607/china-kuaishou-ai-powered-video-generator-create-stunning-1080p-clips.htm

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Nebraska said:

lcimg_ca61fcb8_ae16_4dcb_8b5a_e5ca6510cf

Apple announced “Apple Intelligence” at WWDC 2024, its name for a new suite of AI features for the iPhone, Mac, and more. Starting later this year, Apple is rolling out what it says is a more conversational Siri, custom, AI-generated “Genmoji,” and GPT-4o access that lets Siri turn to OpenAI’s chatbot when it can’t handle what you ask it for.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/6/10/24175405/wwdc-apple-ai-news-features-ios-18-macos-15-iphone-ipad-mac

I just finished watching the keynote, and honestly, I was kind of underwhelmed by how little they actually presented compared to what would be possible. On the other hand, it really felt like an afterthought that was squeezed in at the last minute. Meanwhile, Microsoft has clearly been putting their effort into this for a much longer time, embedding AI features more effectively. As they own OpenAI they would give them much deeper access to develop features in alignment with the open language model.

• Like 1