IGNORED

Kanye West is writing a Philosophy Book on Twitter in Real Time

Nebraska

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have released exactly zero albums backed by a behemoth industry shoveling vapid and shallow shit into the mouths of the willing, ready to eat it all up like it's gospel.

I'm proud of that tbh.

This is the same circle as the Kardashian family, Paris Hilton (yeh KimK got famous from her friend and stylist Paris, who taught her how to put out a sex tape ;o) etc. How anyone can advocate for this type of celebrity knowing what it symbolizes and the impact it has on society is dumbfounding.

Kanye is a fucking idiot and his talents are overblown, we all know this. 

Therefore, I submit this post only as an attempt to rally for a temporary suspension to Nebraska for starting this thread. First the Cardi B thread, now this? Tsk tsk.

Does anyone feel like this mumble rap/soundcloud trap trend in hip hop thats been going (Lil Pump, Lil Uzi Vert, Post Malone ect) has been created by 808 and Heartbreaks and other recent Kanye efforts?

Does anyone feel like this mumble rap/soundcloud trap trend in hip hop thats been going (Lil Pump, Lil Uzi Vert, Post Malone ect) has been created by 808 and Heartbreaks and other recent Kanye efforts?

Not really... You're gonna have to be more specific about how exactly Kanye originated mumble rap. You can see 808s impact in more melodic and sort of emo rappers (Kid Cudi for example) and Drake owes pretty much his whole career to that album, but I don't see the direct correlation to mumble rap. MBDTF sure as hell didn't have anything to do with it, neither did Yeezus, and Life of Pablo was out when mumble rap was already very much a thing. It had more to do with people like Wiz Khalifa, Chief Keef, Future, etc... Not going to pretend I know that much about this topic cause I wasn't that much into hiphop until fairly recently but thats my 2 cents

He's been the brains behind plenty of good music. I think of him as a Hollywood director of big-budget hip hop. What I don't like is the dumbing down of his rapping on a lot of his guest verses and recent stuff, like he knows he can just phone it in, and does so because he knows he has the clout. Hip hop can be lyrical as well as hype, it doesn't have to be either/or. 

He's a very talented producer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanye_West_production_discography

I'm not a huge fan but he's alright.

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around how much importance gets put on pop music.

This article from the NY Times on Beyoncé's performance at Coachella is mind-bendingly vacuous in its hype of pop culture. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/15/arts/music/beyonce-coachella-review.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Farts&action=click&contentCollection=arts&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=115&pgtype=sectionfront

Kanye is a fucking idiot and his talents are overblown, we all know this. 

Therefore, I submit this post only as an attempt to rally for a temporary suspension to Nebraska for starting this thread. First the Cardi B thread, now this? Tsk tsk.

hey if it wasn't for this thread, i wouldn't have known that philosopher kanye west is releasing 2 new albums in june

ky0F7ha.png

u7MYdOQ.png

Brian Eno can be like just as out of touch and bad at times

haha this is more articulate but some ODD IDEAS can slip under the radar when guy is articulate. Eno proposes "scenius" thing or whatever you want to call it when it's declared in comments and I know from previous stuff he spends a lot of time alone, and supposedly feels miserable when he's not plonking away in the studio. But yeah it's to the point it's hard to say if he's being honest or like we were saying in the "meets rich synth dude" thread in EKT forum, the whole CLOISTERED thought process going on. Is he just having wistful fuzzy memories about collabing with random people in the 70s and it's INFLUENCING HIM BIG TIME with inventing this 'scenius' buzzword? I find listening to Eno entertaining sometimes but it's the same way watching Seinfeld is entertaining. He's like British Larry David but he doesn't ever lose his composure so the laugh track never happens

Edit: Is Brian Eno REALLY composing or is he just, not losing composure

He's a very talented producer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanye_West_production_discography

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around how much importance gets put on pop music.

This article from the NY Times on Beyoncé's performance at Coachella is mind-bendingly vacuous in its hype of pop culture. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/15/arts/music/beyonce-coachella-review.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Farts&action=click&contentCollection=arts&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=115&pgtype=sectionfront

I'm not a big Kanye apologist but I do find it baffling how some people are so dismissive of him completely. He's worked his ass off from day one and he was more than accomplished before he really "made it."

Pop culture hype is a fucking behemoth at this point, it's just an absolute mess of redundancy and needlessness. Content farming is out of control, major outlets are just corporate PR machines (Pfork was sold to Conde Nast years ago, every other major online music news or journalism site has been bought out) Music journalism in the sense of review and feature magazines as the existed for decades died sometime in the last 10 years, for better or worse. Consequence of Sound, Quietus, Resident Advisor, The Wire are all indie still, same with Tiny Mix Tapes. Otherwise I just follow certain writers the best I can. I know Chris Ott (Shallow Rewards) is polarizing here but he's pissed off a lot of people by calling out this shit.

ahaha my brother's always been worrisome, like he says good insightful stuff like 'everything sucks when it turns mainstream' but it's probably fueled by some obsessions too, but he has a simultaneous sense of humor too so it's really confusing? I think in his most conspiratorial moments he probably, like he probably believed metaphorically "record deals and getting commercial make you lose your soul" but I think at times it turned literal, signing the record label deal is actually illuminati blood oath type thing. Like how many of these 'rihanna sacrifices babies' people started out very poetic or metaphorical about it? It pisses me off nobody can just DISLIKE MAINSTREAM MUZAK anymore it's gotta be super sinister, and not the realistic reasoning behind it being sinister, all this lady gaga is illuminati hypno goddess stuff. Then there was an electro music account that marketed itself that way and even if it wasn't serious and just marketing it's fucking annoying, I'd rather not talk about pop music AT ALL positive or negative. You might be sustaining it even with the negative talk about it after all

also about hip-hop, my online friend thought some early triple 6 mafia stuff resembles autechre lol

I know nothing about the subject except this

I'm not a big Kanye apologist but I do find it baffling how some people are so dismissive of him completely. He's worked his ass off from day one and he was more than accomplished before he really "made it."

i've always found (what i've listened to of) his music to be an extension of his rants. so you how they say: you gotta separate the art from the artist? well, with kanye that's sort of impossible because he's all too but eager to explain what's on his mind through a rant, then further through a song (followed by another rant if in concert) and on twitter.

i've also had to accept that what was once called arrogance (boasting) is today mistaken for confidence- and arrogance has been eradicated from the universe since everyone is too busy not being a hater or a troll. this is the new credo of the day.

p.s. never followed or knew of him before he "made it" even when he did make it i didn't get it. i think a lot of it is that he played the right social game which led to the right contacts (roc nation + lyor cohen) which led to a significant amount of radio play which then convinced people this was jay z's next of kin. and then of course there was the timing: jay z was still on roc nation, lyor was at def jam, mumble rap and soundcloud artists were still kids and most of the rockafella foes had failed to fully capture the glory due to bad politics: murder inc (irv gotti was facing criminal charges and to this day ja rule is still laughed at for fumbling his game), flipmode was beginning to disintegrate, DMX was now focusing on making b-movies with jet li, wayne and the big tymers were still exclusively a new orleans act and then there was maybe so so def with jermaine dupre who's biggest acts were now mainly r&b (usher, tlc, jagged edge).

so kanye had a nice incubation period where he could focus on producing and being a solo act under the tutelage of jay z and as they say, it's not what you know, but who you know

Pop culture hype is a fucking behemoth at this point, it's just an absolute mess of redundancy and needlessness. Content farming is out of control, major outlets are just corporate PR machines (Pfork was sold to Conde Nast years ago, every other major online music news or journalism site has been bought out) Music journalism in the sense of review and feature magazines as the existed for decades died sometime in the last 10 years, for better or worse. Consequence of Sound, Quietus, Resident Advisor, The Wire are all indie still, same with Tiny Mix Tapes. Otherwise I just follow certain writers the best I can. I know Chris Ott (Shallow Rewards) is polarizing here but he's pissed off a lot of people by calling out this shit.

Hmmm I got lots to say about that, but it's 3:15 AM here and this man has to work tomorrow.

I'll follow through at work lol.

Archived