IGNORED

The Coffee Thread™

Candiru

21 hours ago, Psychotronic said:

I just found this:

https://www.home-barista.com/levers/how-long-can-i-leave-la-pavoni-lever-on-t57514.html#p642545

So it's actually not a fire hazard but the thermal fuse will break and needs to be replaced then, i didn't know it had one. I only have an Italian manual. :trap:

Nice ... I read on and found this gem:

Leaving any LaPavoni on for an extended period of time is a potential disaster, as the thermal protection does not cope well with a gradually lowering water level.
The heating coils become exposed and subject to burn out long before the level drops far enough to cause the fuse or thermal switch to open. The protection appears to have been designed to be effective only while actually pulling shots.

There is no way my wife will ok having this in our kitchen, even without her having to use it.

4 hours ago, Limo said:

Nice ... I read on and found this gem:

There is no way my wife will ok having this in our kitchen, even without her having to use it.

Yep, as i said, that's why i have a timer between outlet and machine, normally set to 15min. I do my cup with milk and everything in 5-10min, so if i forget, it just turns off. The thing is, to control the temperature of the brewer for the shots, you gonna let water through once or twice in the beginning and want to let it cool for a minute before the next shot anyways. So it's not getting too hot, but also not being to cold. You are basically controlling the temperature of your brew with the on / off button. That machine is literally a full hands on device to make espresso, it has no automatic function build it whatsoever. That auto on / off thing is just a over pressuring protection, done the simplest way possible.

The other thing is, if you don't wait long enough after a shot (around 20-30sec is my current impression), it can be that the brewer still has too much pressure, also depending on how much coffee and how finely ground it is, you put in there. So if you open it too early, it can explode the coffee remains onto you and the surrounding walls. :cisfor:

Very nice feature if you're trying to make coffee for a few guests.  :psyduck:

Fun fact, my GF loves the coffee i make with it, but is absolutely terrified to use it, she has her own, "click button to coffee" - full automatic machine. :tongue:

Edited by Psychotronic
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Limo said:

So how do you do it? Just dump the chamber in boiling water or something?

Yup! I drop the chamber in a milk pitcher and fill it up with boiling water. Let it heat up for about 30 seconds. Then use that same water to pre heat my drinking cup. Let it pre heat while I set everything up to pull the shot. Then empty the cup in the pitcher again, for if I want another cup of coffee in the next 30 minutes. Now i can pull my shot

• Thanks 1

So … in the end my wife and I had another conversation in which it was decided that I shouldn’t have to resort to buying toys (however cool) to have good coffee for breakfast. She is very nice like that.

A Profitec Go single boiler machine (don’t care, milk is for babies) with a temperature control and pressure control is on its way and should be here before the weekend.

I’d still like a manual machine at some point, though, but just for fun.

And here she is (on the right, thing on the left is a Eureka Mignon grinder)

Spent some time dialing it in this afternoon (so I’m now all jumpy from the caffeine)

It really is an upgrade. Much thicker smoother brews. ?

AC2E9525-36D7-4478-B606-63B0E907A33D.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I was able to get an aeropress for a  regular price.

While the first brew surprised me on its quality, I'm finding I need to use the same amount of beans for a single serving that I used to in the moka cup for a triple shot. So I'm unsure if I'm doing things right.

Also struggling to find the best ratio of beans/grind size/brew time/water temp for the ideal shot. At one point I was using such a fine grind size that I felt I needed an hidraulic press.

Moka cup was equally fiddly and inconsistent at firs but I had settled into a stable routine that yielded consistent results.

But with this thing cleanup is so easy that I'm gonna stick with it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GORDO said:

So I was able to get an aeropress for a  regular price.

While the first brew surprised me on its quality, I'm finding I need to use the same amount of beans for a single serving that I used to in the moka cup for a triple shot. So I'm unsure if I'm doing things right.

Also struggling to find the best ratio of beans/grind size/brew time/water temp for the ideal shot. At one point I was using such a fine grind size that I felt I needed an hidraulic press.

Moka cup was equally fiddly and inconsistent at firs but I had settled into a stable routine that yielded consistent results.

But with this thing cleanup is so easy that I'm gonna stick with it.

Yup.

I have one for work. Quality of brews is good, but each one is different. IIRC coffee guru James Hoffmann shares this sentiment.

Needing an hydraulic press ? is probably nothing to worry about. If the coffee is good, that is all that matters,

My recipe is: turn the grinder a few ticks looser than for espresso, grind 7 grams, to be stored in an airtight(ish) container and to be consumed in an hour or two. Add water for 1 cup (as per the markings). Stir, press, done. Not espresso by a long shot (ha!), not Moka pot coffee but good.

• 3 weeks later...

started a coffee kombucha (koffucha) last week. currently going through the 2nd fermentation..should be ready by tomorrow. 

Edited by iococoi
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/31/2023 at 10:45 AM, iococoi said:

started a coffee kombucha (koffucha) last week. currently going through the 2nd fermentation..should be ready by tomorrow. 

noice

Robert Redford Nod GIF

Slowly going down the rabbit hole of coffee snobbery thanks to the aeropress and that damned James Hoffman. Upgraded my grinder and even got a scale, taking mental notes of every aspect of how brews turn out.

If I ever find a conveniently located specialty coffee store imma be doomed.

• Like 3